Introducing GeoStick

Hi there,

We are trying to introduce a new cache item that we developed. Please have a look at our RFD and send us your feedback. The paper is located here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcsk47cz_35fgbcnwcn

We are:

http://cachedwellers.no.sapo.pt

Thank you for any input.

This has been brought up before. I would NEVER put anything in my computer I found in a cache, EVER!! Your intentions are good, but people are not.

Added the following to the RFD

1. Viruses and Mall ware.

A group of people ventilates fear that the stick might add to mall-ware

and virus spreading. I do not think this is fair.

1. Only MS-Windows users are currently under thread.

2. MS disabled autorun.

3. This all comes down to computer hygiene scan before run.

4. Nobody forces a noob to grab hold of the stick.

Bottom line if you don't feel confident leave it where it is. But if

you oppose to the general idea because of this fear I do hope you

wear gloves while handling a potentially deadly cache.

BTW check for booby-traps. It looks so silly on your resume, death by geocache.

Go for it!

It's been done successfully, I have moved TBs like this where you added a picture or story to the thumbdrive dongle and moved it along.

No one should have autorun enabled and everyone should have their anti-virus and malware up to date... if not then a dongle is the least of their worries! ;)

Seems like every time the guys in the white hats come up with a new way to protect our computers the guys in the black hats find a way around it. That being the case there is no way I'm sticking one of those things in my computer.

2. MS disabled autorun.

Wow, touchy. Sorry if I offend your view of the world as a rose colored picture of jolliness but I still ain't sticking that thing in any usb port on my equipment. I'll be happy to move it from one cache to another though.

There are ways to trick Windows and/or the user. I can think of a few ways myself, and I'm hardly the malicious hacker type.

If I find one I will plug it in, just to see what is inside, but I know how to take proper precautions - I've been working with computers for a long time. But there is no way I will recommend someone else do the same thing.

Wow, touchy. Sorry if I offend your view of the world as a rose colored picture of jolliness but I still ain't sticking that thing in any usb port on my equipment. I'll be happy to move it from one cache to another though.

No way I am touchy my friend, I feel sorry for you because you stick to an inferior OS please try to infect my Ubuntu Linux I challenge you. Please give me your input on the stick. I ask for it. Heavy critic even. The idea won't develope without.

Now as to your concern and me being touchy. I have your objection under advise and think of a stick wrapper (it has to be protected) with the bio-hazard symbol and a short explanation that you should leave it in the cache if you don't want to take the risk.

Does that address your concern? Not that I need your blessing but I'm the guy that wants to make everybody happy :-) Kidding don't take me serious please.

If I find one I will plug it in, just to see what is inside, but I know how to take proper precautions - I've been working with computers for a long time. But there is no way I will recommend someone else do the same thing.

You are just jalouse you don't want me to have a botnet thats greater then yours. Shame on you :-)

2. MS disabled autorun.

I think you misunderstand the point of the earlier posts. I'm sure that your dongle is quite safe and that you had it tested for viruses before sticking it in any caches.

BUT:

- Can you be absolutely sure that the third person who retrieves it after you release it doesn't install a virus on it?

- What about someone who likes your idea and sticks their own virus-infected dongle into an innocent cache... how can I tell the difference?

- Contrary to popular belief, there ARE viruses that are written for Macs. Just not as many. But that doesn't matter to me because my home and work computers are PCs.

- Even with the most powerful and up-to-date anti-virus software installed, you're still vulnerable to the virus written to exploit the flaw that was discovered earlier this morning.

So, in conclusion, I ain't stickin' your dongle in my computer.

Thank you but please keep your pity to yourself.

I said touchy because the first thing you did when you got a response that wasn't positive was to attack the responders. If you didn't want input you shouldn't have posted.

I'm going to point out a couple of other things that may detract from the idea. First is the shiny things factor. People love the coins because they are creative works of art in miniature. While you can doodle all you want on the outside of the sticks it is unlikely you'll match the variety and appeal of coins. Next is the icon. Each coin has an icon that gets posted to your profile when you log the coin. People are fond of padding their icon collection. No icons with the sticks. Add to that the fact that there are large numbers of people who, just like me, won't trust them and I don't see your plan rivaling geocoins.

As for attacking your system I'm not that type of person. If I was I have no doubt that I could rig one of those sticks to do major damage to your machine.

Hi there,

We are trying to introduce a new cache item that we developed. Please have a look at our RFD and send us your feedback. The paper is located here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcsk47cz_35fgbcnwcn

Thank you for any input.

It's a nice idea, but as others have said, there is NO way I'd ever put a memory stick that has been circulating out of my control in any of my systems. There's FAR too much potential for malicious software.

-K

I think you misunderstand the point of the earlier posts.

More then 25 years despamming usenet and my own computer firm make me confident I understood the problem.

I'm sure that your dongle is quite safe and that you had it tested for viruses before sticking it in any caches.

Which means you didn't understand the problem. On what basis do you asume MY dongle would be save?

BUT:

- Can you be absolutely sure that the third person who retrieves it after you release it doesn't install a virus on it?

No just as much I cannot be sure he will not put in serin or another poison or booby trap the cache.

- What about someone who likes your idea and sticks their own virus-infected dongle into an innocent cache... how can I tell the difference?

You can't but you can prepare for it. Or JUST LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS.

- Contrary to popular belief, there ARE viruses that are written for Macs. Just not as many. But that doesn't matter to me because my home and work computers are PCs.

Man I know and that's not the point with the proper efford and a complete noob you can infect a coffee-machine but the point is that we are tainting an idea here with non factual arguments. Factual is:

A usb stick can not infect your computer. Only you can. You even have to make an effort. Starting with taking it out of the cache.

- Even with the most powerful and up-to-date anti-virus software installed, you're still vulnerable to the virus written to exploit the flaw that was discovered earlier this morning.

This is the first factual statement. You are right. And diminishing greatly the risk factor of the stick by setting it off to the every day risk of computing.

So, in conclusion, I ain't stickin' your dongle in my computer.

Doesn't matter I have quite a few blonds volunteering if not because of the entertainment this tread is offering. Kiddin.

You made the only valid point. Fear it, leave it. Dont touch.

(snip) try to infect my Ubuntu Linux I challenge you.

Bring it here, I'll have it messed up in a matter of minutes. Where you live, I live in Buffalo NY, where can we meet? What desktop did you choose? Both?

More then 25 years despamming usenet and my own computer firm make me confident I understood the problem.

But the problem is not solved - usenet is the king of spam still. Even the good "stuff" can be considered spam - no?

Edited by Frank Broughton

<snip for brevity>

Do they make trolls the size of dwarves now?

As for attacking your system I'm not that type of person. If I was I have no doubt that I could rig one of those sticks to do major damage to your machine.

This will set off some people LOL. I dare you. In front of the whole geocaching community i dare you to damage my Ubuntu OS by just sticking a stick into it.

Well are you more then just words? Or will people get hilarious everytime they find gof1 in a cache?

Aren't we all feeding the troll here? This guy joined yesterday. A sock puppet at the very least. Zero finds, zero hides, yet has this great idea no has ever though of before? :);)

I shouldn't but I will address. The new account is the new teams account. And I never assumed the idea was not thought of before. That doesn't keep me from giving it a new impulse. But theres always a good ol' boy keeping the strangers down isn't there. That will never change.

I think your idea is great. Best idea I have heard in a long time. Great creativity. But I simply won't put any usb flash drive I find in a cache into my computer, nor will I put any DVD/CD I find in my computer. Nor will I partake of any of the wonderful snack bars I find in caches. Just not a not smart idea.

Jim

(snip) try to infect my Ubuntu Linux I challenge you.

Bring it here, I'll have it messed up in a matter of minutes. Where you live, I live in Buffalo NY, where can we meet? What desktop did you choose? Both?

But the problem is not solved - usenet is the king of spam still. Even the good "stuff" can be considered spam - no?

Hi Frank,

By both I presume you mean Gnome or KDE? Just as Linus I'm currently on Gnome and al lot on the

terms. I cannot do without as a lot of stuff on GUI's is just to bloated. As far as your dare is concerned I need not bring you the machine. Just illustrate your casus. Mess it up by sticking a stick into it. I extend the same dare to you. 10 geocoins and a geostick.

As for a independent arbiter I will bow for the slashdot community. To state the issue once more to be clear

Mess up a ubuntu os by sticking a hardware unmodified usb stick into it.

Notice I will not keep you to your minutes you may take day's or even weeks.

Now what kind of man would pass a challenge like that?

OOPS forgot your usenet remark. True but it delivers copyright content 10 times faster and long after torrent have gone :-)

Edited by cachedwellers

Aren't we all feeding the troll here? This guy joined yesterday. A sock puppet at the very least. Zero finds, zero hides, yet has this great idea no has ever though of before? :);)

Of course it's a troll. But I haven't gotten bored with 'm yet. Not that it will take much longer.

<snip for brevity>

Do they make trolls the size of dwarves now?

This will set off some people LOL. I dare you. In front of the whole geocaching community i dare you to damage my Ubuntu OS by just sticking a stick into it.

Well are you more then just words? Or will people get hilarious everytime they find gof1 in a cache?

The only part of the post you could respond to was the part about your system? And you had to attempt to insult me first? Weak.

Go look up the word capacitor. Not every attack is via software.

None of this makes a rats posterior of difference. The simple truth is that your idea is not original and has never taken off when discussed because, warranted or not, too many people distrust strange media.

Now, do you want to discuss your idea or continue to insult me?

Sock puppet, no doubt. But idea is hardly unheard of before. I haven't been around very long over here, and this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've heard of some iteration of the idea.

No way I am touchy my friend, I feel sorry for you because you stick to an inferior OS please try to infect my Ubuntu Linux I challenge you. Please give me your input on the stick. I ask for it. Heavy critic even. The idea won't develope without.

Now as to your concern and me being touchy. I have your objection under advise and think of a stick wrapper (it has to be protected) with the bio-hazard symbol and a short explanation that you should leave it in the cache if you don't want to take the risk.

Does that address your concern? Not that I need your blessing but I'm the guy that wants to make everybody happy :-) Kidding don't take me serious please.

You are very naive, if you believe in your statement "please try to infect my Ubuntu Linux I challenge you".

Every OS is vulnerable my friend....the only reason you see viruses on Windows machines and not Macs or Linux is because of the shear volume of Windows users. Virus authors go for max affect. If the Mac or linux box ever gets anywhere near the market share that Windows currently owns, you will see those machines affected as well.

I wouldn't stick one of those things in my drive either.

Good luck to all who play this game.....

If you really want this idea to work you need to work on the reader not the media. Provide me with a gadget specifically designed to only read GeoSticks for less than $100 and I’ll be happy to stick anything in it that I find in a cache, in the gutter, in the bin…

I have reason to connect to the internet. I have no reason to plug in the thumb drive. Now, if there was a reason for me to plug in the thumb drive I might do it. The risk/reward justification doesn't add up for me.

Scared of a thumb drive, but yet you all connect to the internet... ;)

That's like saying "you can watch a horror show on TV but you're scared to walk through a bad neighborhood at night?"

gof1 made me think of a couple more really nasty things you can do with a USB drive. I retract my earlier statement. I will not plug it in now, unless I have compelling reason to do so (i.e. I'm being paid to do so). I still know how to protect myself, but the new ideas make it more troublesome.

Edited by Chrysalides

Yay for Linux. If I found a thumb drive travelbug, I'd plug it in and add a few pictures of my own or whatever. If there IS a virus, have fun trying to find the Windows Registry ;). And worst case scenario... if for some reason something IS on the thumb-drive that affects linux, which in itself is ridiculously unlikely... I wouldn't care all that much anyway since I'm planning on formatting and switching distros sometime in the next year.

Huh. Scrolling up, it looks like Linux was what cachedweller centered his trolling around. Well... in reference to him, get off your high horse, man.

Edited by Kabuthunk

I can't imagine someone would go to all the trouble of putting a capacitor in a USB stick which would damage someone's computer and then putting it in a geocache for someone to find. It's possible, sure, but a lot of trouble to try and damage some unknown random geocacher's computer.

It sounds about as likely as someone booby trapping an ammo can to explode when opened. I've been reading about that risk in the forums since as long as I've been caching, and as far as I know it's never happened. As is pointed out in every thread it's mentioned... it's possible, but what would be the point? Why target a random unknown geocacher?

The risk of a purposefully sabotaged USB stick that would physically harm your computer is way too low to worry about in this game. Anyone remember the long debates about caches stuck to transformers? Some folks thought the risk of electrocution was too high to even bother and tried to get them banned. Others realized that while there was a risk, the likelyhood of damage was so low compared to the long list of other things that could hurt you on a cache hunt they didn't think it was worth avoiding those types of hides. But unlike the OP I wouldn't hurl insults at someone that didn't want to find a cache on a transformer, I just wouldn't want them trying to force me from being able to find one if I chose to.

A virus, however, is something that IS a high risk because if one of those is on there it would most likely, and very easily, be on without the knowledge of the person that put it there. These things target lots and lots of people, not just one unlucky person. I've come across multiple viruses in 2009 alone and fortunately my anti-virus software has been up to date and has caught each one. But as has been pointed out already in this thread, new ones are being created daily and the newer ones are more likely to slip by. That's the reason I'd never put an unknown USB into my computer. I'm running on Windoze, and not on the much safer (for now) Linux platform.

I won't use a USB stick found in a cache, but I won't care if someone else wants to use it.

I think a USB traveler is a neat idea.

In fact, to facilitate the idea I did some research a while back about self contained wikis or wiki-on-a-stick. You edit the wiki in any modern browser and are not OS dependent. Such things exists and would make a great tool for sharing.

Also available are servers-on-a-stick. OS dependent, but allow the creation of a full interactive website on a stick. I thought about creating a private geocache database for the local area. You discover the stick in a cache, bring up a list of other caches, find and log them, then maybe add one of your own, and then re-hide the stick in a public cache.

Heck, for that matter the last idea could be accomplished by simply exporting a list of caches from GSAK. The finder imports the list, finds, logs, optionally places, and then exports again. You could either back up the database or export as a GPX file.

Me, I'm not afraid of USB sticks or a whole hosts of other things folks are frightened of they might find in caches.