In Rememberance

Evening,

Recently planted an offset cache based on a local war memorial. Someone has suggested that this could form an interesting series a la sidetracked and perhaps more speficially the church micros.

What do people think?

Samui T

The Lest We Forget series in Scotland is very prominent. I have to say that the many nanos on the railings are tedious, but I like doing them for they take you to many war memorials, which are always worth visiting. Not all of them of course are nanos, some or decent sized containers.

Edit to add that I don't think that bookmark list is fully updated, and there may be more than the 116 on the list.

Edited by Haggis Hunter
I would not have a problem getting numbers from the memorial to get a cache from somewhere else nearby but to have the cache at the actual memorial is a bit I don't know I would feel uncomfortable, or is it just me.

It depends what you mean by "at". If it means on, under etc. I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable but if it means 'near' - say 20 to 50 ft away I believe it could be perfectly acceptable depending on the local circumstances.

I currently have caches based near war memorials in Surrey, one an offset the other near the memorial. They are both at places where people normally drive past and don't always notice the memorial is there.

If it makes people more aware all the better.

GC1H3EN and GC1DBBB and none are micros!!!

Don't agree with people sticking nanos or micros on them though.

I would not have a problem getting numbers from the memorial to get a cache from somewhere else nearby but to have the cache at the actual memorial is a bit I don't know I would feel uncomfortable, or is it just me.

Speaking as one old-fashioned enough to turn and nod every time I walk past the Cenotaph, I've done many of these from the Scottish series. It would be crass to put something actually on the memorial itself (and would probably be against all sorts of other placement rules anyway), but I don't feel uncomfortable when it's a few feet away. Spending time at a memorial doesn't show any disrespect; quite the reverse.

Of course it does depend on the manner of your visit. I'm always careful to take my time and pay my respects properly. If a car full of cachers pulled up, noisily stormed around for a couple of minutes and then raced off again, well that would be another thing entirely.

Perhaps it depends a bit on the individual monument as well. There's one in Edinburgh which is essentially used as a picnic area; nobody seems to mind, and in fact it's quite nice that there are always people there. On the other hand, I passed a very formal one in Brighton the other week which was decked out with signs telling people not to sit down. I don't think either's right or wrong, they were just very different.