Figuring out which benchmark I found

snowfreak37

I am having a hard time figuring out which benchmark I just found today. I found this one in New York State (Franklin County) and this benchmark was right next to Barnum Pond just off of Route 30. I can't seem to find any of the coordinates that are close to the ones my GPS'r is indicating on the datasheet search page. I posted some pictures of the benchmark on the cache page (GC1QHWZ) any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi snowfreak37 -

You can find out here about these mysterious marks and what you can do about them. The one you found is one of the thousands of USGS marks not in the NGS database.

I guess that explains why I couldn't find it in the NGS data base. I thought I was overlooking something. It's too bad this one isn't in the data base, its in fine shape and in such a nice location. It was neat to check out the accuracy of the GPS'r with the stamped elevation on the benchmark. Thanks for the quick reply.