the issue with TB and GC farming

Resetti

I am relatively new to geocaching but I just wanted to raise an issue with some people.

While I am grateful for the many people who place caches and also drop TB's and GC's, I have found one recent weekend was that I simply wanted to swap a TB's so I always have one TB or GC on the go. However I found that the day before someone had swept the whole area and pretty much picked up every TB and GC and left about one behind. Now sometimes I think this is a little bit greedy to take everything without leaving anything, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen anything like this?

I mean there is nothing that anything can be done about it really as it's up to the cacher to take what he/she likes and really I shouldn't complain as it's simply fun to even look for caches. I just like the idea of taking one TB/GC and swapping it in another cache, which I what I hope to do.

Anyway, just wanted thoughts on this issue. I mean everyone has to pick up their first TB right? I mean my first item I picked up in venice and moved it on to my home town. And since then I've just been doing a 1 for 1 trade.

Anyway I've still been having great fun regardless and I hope the caching community continues to grow.

A trackable (travel bug or geocoin) is NOT a regular trade item. That's the rule.

They're also not prizes. They're just a nice thing to find, particularly if your actions can get it closer to their goal.

We went caching on a island this weekend. I brought ALL the trackables I found and left not one (I didn't have one by them). I brought ALL because I'm going to help them in reaching their goals. I'm sure that some geocachers would like to have a look on them, but hey, I'm thinking about the owners of those trackables. They're the ones to please. :)

There is no requirement to trade a travel bug for a travel bug. I understand your feelings about htis, though. Try to focus on what makes you happy in geocaching. Is it the search? Is it the hike to get there? I enjoy being out and seeing new places and things. Don't worry too much about what you can't control.

A trackable (travel bug or geocoin) is NOT a regular trade item. That's the rule.

They're also not prizes. They're just a nice thing to find, particularly if your actions can get it closer to their goal.

We went caching on a island this weekend. I brought ALL the trackables I found and left not one (I didn't have one by them). I brought ALL because I'm going to help them in reaching their goals. I'm sure that some geocachers would like to have a look on them, but hey, I'm thinking about the owners of those trackables. They're the ones to please. :)

As the owner of a bunch of trackables I say thank you to you and everybody else that puts the desires of the owners above the desires of others!!! :blink:

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum. When picking up and moving this thread, I did not leave a new thread in its place. Forum threads are not trade items.

HA! HA!

:):blink:

Sorry... I have nothing else to add... awesome post!

well I'm at uni atm, in Norwich. Plenty of trackables back home!

well thanks for the comments. It's ok I think I was just miffed as I wanted to dump a TB I had and pick up at least one!

For me the best part of geocaching is going out and visitng new places with the added bonus of doing it for a reason I guess, like looking for geocaches! Makes me get out and go for walks more!

While I am grateful for the many people who place caches and also drop TB's and GC's, I have found one recent weekend was that I simply wanted to swap a TB's so I always have one TB or GC on the go. However I found that the day before someone had swept the whole area and pretty much picked up every TB and GC and left about one behind. Now sometimes I think this is a little bit greedy to take everything without leaving anything, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen anything like this?...

When we first started geocaching I felt exactly the same way. It does seem "a little bit greedy" at first...

but I soon came to understand the ethos of moving trackables around, as explained by the previous posters. If you can help them on their mission then move them. If you can't help their mission specifically (e.g. you pick up a TB that wants to travel from UK to USA but you're not going to America) you can still pick up the item and move it a few miles along to the next cache as long as you're not going against its mission. You never know - the next person visiting that cache could be off to USA the following week and that small step of a few miles was a great help! :)

MrsB

I've seen this before too. It is no real big as long as the person(s) collecting all the TB and coins are moving them along. I often pick up a TB or coin without leaving anything. If there are multiple I alway make sure to leave some behind for other cachers. Of course I also send out my TB and coins sometimes without getting anything.

... And since then I've just been doing a 1 for 1 trade.

In my early days I did this, but soon realized it was wrong. If everyone only took a TB when they left one then a few caches would always have TB's in them, which means that many other caches would never have TBs in them.

I wholeheartedly agree with SUp3rFM & Cruella. I wish more cachers would take this approach.

Understanding that TBs belong to their owners, not the cache they are in or a prospective finder is the key.