Garmin Officially Announces Oregon 550 and 550t

I looked at a 400 and a 550 side by side at the garmin booth in GeoWoodstock. It was an overcast day.

The screens looked identical in resolution and readability. I wish I had run them up to max brightness to see if there was a difference.

I looked at a 400 and a 550 side by side at the garmin booth in GeoWoodstock. It was an overcast day.

The screens looked identical in resolution and readability. I wish I had run them up to max brightness to see if there was a difference.

I've talked to several other people who saw the one at GW and they didn't think that there was much difference at all between the current 300/400 and the 550 on display.

Does anyone know what chipset is being used in the 550-550t's? Cartesio? MTK?

Here's to hoping it contains one of the new MTK chips designed for low speed accuracy (this seems to be the achylles heel of the Cartesio).

I'm hoping for this too, but incorporating a new chipset and associated software changes into the Oregon would probably be a big deal. Like others, I'm suspecting we'll see the new MTK3329 chipset on the Dakota. It would be difficult for Garmin if the lower end unit had better reception than the Oregon.

From my understanding there is a new chipset from MTK specifically designed for low speed accuracy as is needed in handheld devices. Thread

I'll now refrain from ordering a 550 until I know what chip is going into what units. If the Dakota has the MTK, despite being a "lesser" model, I'll go for it instead. I'd rather have reliable and steady accuracy than another digital camera.

I haven't exactly been blown away with the Oregons operation at slow speeds. They (Garmin) either average the bejezus out of the tracklog (earlier software) or the track looks convulsive (latest few versions). Either way the problem seems indicative of the lousy low speed specs on the Cartesio. It's fine for driving speeds but there are Nuvi's for that.

I know, I know, geocachers don't care about tracklogs.

Edited by yogazoo

I'm hoping for this too, but incorporating a new chipset and associated software changes into the Oregon would probably be a big deal.

I disagree and think it would be fairly easy to incorporate a new chipset since the software and firmware, although rolled into a single update these days, is indeed different. The software controls the features and functionality while the firmware controls the reception and signal capturing. I think one of the major "bugs" of the Oregon line has always been accuracy (positional and tracking) since the beginning. If they had a decent "low speed" chipset in the 550, those issues may not be a problem at all.

Or maybe I'm not understanding exactly how software and firmware work together. However, to my understanding, there are Nuvi's that have two different chipsets in the same model, and now the 60CSX has two different chipsets also.

We'll know soon enough I guess.

Edited by yogazoo

There certainly are 2 camps in the accessory ideas field.

Those that like basic gps performance, and those that love gadgets.

I prefer Nothing extra.

Just give me a gps that points to the cache.

Have it be accurate and fast.

Make the map large enough to read, and have it re-draw quickly.

Nothing else....no compass, no camera, no talking or indicating turns.

... and leave out the phone and the internet.....I'll check facebook after I get home.

Thanks.

I bit and got a 300. Glad to know that I don't have to already regret the purchase. Now I'm looking for where to make some suggestions to get the interface as funcational as it could be. They are so close to a great GPS (ignoring the dim dissapointing but tolerable screen).