Garmin Officially Announces Oregon 550 and 550t

I wouldn't not be surprised to find out the improved readability for the screen is related to being able to turn up the backlight further (as when you are running from external power). I also find it difficult to believe that they've changed screens but there's always hope.
Looking at the video you posted it shows a daylight readable screen. Of course we don't know if that's with or without the backlight on. If it's without, I'd say they really did find a way of improving the screen.
I wouldn't not be surprised to find out the improved readability for the screen is related to being able to turn up the backlight further (as when you are running from external power). I also find it difficult to believe that they've changed screens but there's always hope.
Looking at the video you posted it shows a daylight readable screen. Of course we don't know if that's with or without the backlight on. If it's without, I'd say they really did find a way of improving the screen.

Is the youtube video the only one out there right now ?

I just got the 400t and have not had it outside..... is that what the 400t looks like too ?

From the few minutes I have had it, I haven't had it outside, so I can't say what it looks like.

I will say... that the scrren was much easier to read when I kept the backlight on all the time.

It much worse than my 76CSx as far as the screen readablility.

Edited by pratzert

We upgraded from the the 60CSx to the 400t at REI and will probably do the same thing with the 550t. They have a history of your purchases if you can't find your receipt. Bottom line, if you're not satisfied for whatever reason, you can take it back. It may look like its not a financially sound business practice but do a little research on their solid financials. Yes, their stuff usually costs a little more, but the quality is much better. Their return policy is one of the things that makes them a great company and attracts loyal customers.

This is exactly why Costco had to change their return policy for electronics. Folks would buy a current, expensive TV, then bring it back 4 months later when a "better" TV came out. Costco lost millions on the policy - so much they talked about it in their quarterly reports.

While what you say may technically be allowed, it is abusing the policy that will only make prices higher or get them to change their policy as well.

Maybe instead of bring it back you could just sell the old unit on eBay or Craigslist?

At first I was drinking the coolaid and found myself getting excited to drop another $500-$600 on a new unit. I have an Oregon 300 already but I'm a tech-nerd and need the latest and greatest when it comes to GPS's.

After some thought I've come to the conclusion that I won't be upgrading to the 550 for the following reasons:

1) I don't have a money tree in the back yard.

2) I already have a compact digital Camera which probably takes much better pictures and placing the photo number in the comments of a waypoint (or submitting it to memory) is not that difficult.

3) I already own a nice Silva compass. Granted, I can't hold it upright, but who cares.

4) I am of the opinion that the screen on the current Oregon models isn't that bad to read in sunlight. And judging by the video the 550's isn't much, if at all, improved.

I understand the "hype" of new products but I've been burned by Garmin alot in the past year or so (I was a Colorado early adopter. What a bumpy road that was to go down.). I just think that most people who just purchased the 400t and are chomping at the bit to upgrade are just succumbing to the "new product" buzz. The improvements while nifty, arent going to increase the useability of the GPS functions. Especially if you already own a digital camera, and who doesn't?

Edited by yogazoo

At first I was drinking the coolaid and found myself getting excited to drop another $500-$600 on a new unit. I have an Oregon 300 already but I'm a tech-nerd and need the latest and greatest when it comes to GPS's.

After some thought I've come to the conclusion that I won't be upgrading to the 550 for the following reasons:

1) I don't have a money tree in the back yard.

2) I already have a compact digital Camera which probably takes much better pictures and placing the photo number in the comments of a waypoint (or submitting it to memory) is not that difficult.

3) I already own a nice Silva compass. Granted, I can't hold it upright, but who cares.

4) I am of the opinion that the screen on the current Oregon models isn't that bad to read in sunlight. And judging by the video the 550's isn't much, if at all, improved.

I understand the "hype" of new products but I've been burned by Garmin alot in the past year or so (I was a Colorado early adopter. What a bumpy road that was to go down.). I just think that most people who just purchased the 400t and are chomping at the bit to upgrade are just succumbing to the "new product" buzz. The improvements while nifty, arent going to increase the useability of the GPS functions. Especially if you already own a digital camera, and who doesn't?

Me too

That statement doesn't make sense to me since the backlight is inconsequential in bright sun anyway. The reflectivity or contrast of the actual screen is really what matters (in bright sun). I would think that unless they've upgraded the led's behind the LCD to be ten times brighter I just don't see where the backlight will help out. Even when my Oregon 300 is plugged into 12v via the car adapter I still don't notice a marked improvement in bright sunlight. Granted, you'll see an improvement IN your car but that's because alot of the glare and brightness is taken off via the car roof.

I'm holding out hope that they've upgraded to a more reflective LCD or have found a way to reduce the dimming effects of the touchscreen layer. Aside from these two possibilities I don't think there is much hope for a better, more readable screen in bright sun. I just don't think brighter LED's will do it.

Edited by yogazoo

;)

Sure......

We'll just WAIT until it is out and the reviews come in and see if you can resist. I'll store this post of yours for later when you do buy one....

Red90,

Eh, you may be right. But only if there's a substantial improvement in the screen readability. I got the 300 instead of the 400t because I already had Topo2008 and didn't need to pay for it twice. All things being equal, the digital camera and tri-axial compass are not really anything I'd pay for again since I already have them in one form or another (and in higher quality forms). ;)

Granted, if I was starting fresh with no GPS whatsoever I would probably prefer the 550's

BUT for now, unless they re-vamped the 60CSX with all of these features or gave the 550 a SirfIII chipset with quad helix antenna, I'll keep my powder dry. :)

Edited by yogazoo

Just looked at the video at G-O-Cachers blog - I missed that earlier but Low Bat points out above that he noticed the better screen.

I just go my Oregon 400t a few weeks ago and I feel I didn't really observe any improvement in the screen in the video of the 550. I've not really felt the 400t was too bad since I got it - maybe that is part of it.

I'm not sold on the camera feature yet - good for quick snaps sure, but I'm lugging a swag bag anyway so tucking in the Digital Rebel and a few light lenses is my preference for pics.

Just looked at the video at G-O-Cachers blog - I missed that earlier but Low Bat points out above that he noticed the better screen.

I just go my Oregon 400t a few weeks ago and I feel I didn't really observe any improvement in the screen in the video of the 550. I've not really felt the 400t was too bad since I got it - maybe that is part of it.

I'm not sold on the camera feature yet - good for quick snaps sure, but I'm lugging a swag bag anyway so tucking in the Digital Rebel and a few light lenses is my preference for pics.

I jumped on this post as I am getting a new 400t tomorrow for Mom's day - yes it was hard for the family not to let that one slip out - and I was going to live with the screen. However the advertising of the better visisbility of the screen has me very curious, is it all hype, if it were truly better don't you think that they would add that hi-tech feature (whatever enables the better visibility screen) as a line item and mark the 500 with a YES, and the 400 and all others as no.

Since the 400t was purchased at REI my suggestion - I guess I could always return it if needed.

I will continue to watch this flurry between all you electronic/GPS gurus.

Thanks for the heads up though!!

i just discovered this info on the garmin webpage and came here...and here are my thoughts about the 550.

I like it.

I had a Colorado 400t. I had issues with accuracy. I returned it to REI and did an even swap for a Oregon 400t last year when they came out. I had only had the Colorado about 2 months at the most.

I like the Oregon, but the news of the 3-axis Compass has me wanting to swap again, as well as the hopefully better screen. Camera...well, i guess that's cool as well, although I wonder if that will cause freezing issues and such...but all that remains to be seen. I have in the past carried both a gps and a camera, so in a way, it might be good enough to leave the camera at home. 3.2mp is not much...but good for internet pics. Just think of all the new pics when folks will log their geocaches.

I'm not too worried about bugs however, as those typically get worked out eventually. hopefully.

but the compass i find useful. i just have to hope it would work well...i mean, wouldnt it be nice to have the arrow actually point AT the geocache, instead of all over the place, this way and that?

i think so.

darn it...now comes the waiting period lust!

(oh and as for abusing the REI policy? I don't think it is abusive if something you buy is not perfect. I have bought clothes, and have never thought of returning them there. But i bought a pair of Keen's last week, went to Hawaii, and they killed me...i was in agony all week with all the walking I had to do in them. I got back yesterday morning and didn't think twice about returning them immediately...however, i DID try to exchange them for something else that might have worked better. I returned them, and they will re-sell them at their member only sales in upcoming months, but if i had not been able to, i would have been stuck with shoes I will never ever wear again, and out $75. I am glad they have the policy they do. I have never been happy that the 400t has issues with WAAS accuracy, and perhaps this could be a reason to swap as well if they fixed it.)

Edited by mightywarlock

PS: 3.2 Megapixels!? WTF! What were they thinking!? Mobile phones come with 5 megapixels these days!

My 2.8mp camera takes better pictures than most 8mp cameras. Why? Because once you get past a certain point, megapixels don't matter. However, the big, kick-a** Zeiss lens on my camera DOES matter.

The myth of the Megapixels.

I was about to post a link about megapixles. I guess it's unknown that the professional models of Nikon are 3 to 4 megapixles.

I do like the idea of having paperless + a geotagging camera in one though!

If you look at other videos of the 400/300 series in bright sunlight the screen brightness looks identical to the 550. It's all about holding it at the best angle to the sun, notice in the 550 video the angle of the unit doesn't change and they seem rather careful to maintain the angle. Why wouldnt they have the screen perdendicular to the camera? Instead it's cantered just right. I suspect because they have it at the best viewing angle. I don't know why the guy from garmin uses the wording "enhanced sunlight readable screen". In the specs (comparison) they make no implication that the screen is any better, in fact, it "specs" out identical to the 200/300/400 series. If they had enhanced it one would figure that they would be sure to include it in the specs since the screen brightness has been a sticky point for alot of people.

Sorry to realize that the screen being enhanced may have been a wishful slip of the tongue. Or who knows, maybe he meant "enhanced" refering to the touch-screen interface and was really comparing it to older models. I really don't think the screen is going to be any better. I hope I'm wrong. If not I'll wait a year or so when the next generation of garmin handhelds come out with newer screen technology.

Edited by yogazoo

(oh and as for abusing the REI policy? I don't think it is abusive if something you buy is not perfect. I have bought clothes, and have never thought of returning them there.

<snip>

I have never been happy that the 400t has issues with WAAS accuracy, and perhaps this could be a reason to swap as well if they fixed it.

I have no problem bringing back shoes that don't fit, etc, etc. But, and this is particularly true of technology, buying something you know isn't "exactly what you want" with the expectation of returning it in a few months when the "next greatest thing" comes along is abusing the system.

If you aren't happy with the 400t, why haven't you returned it already?

(oh and as for abusing the REI policy? I don't think it is abusive if something you buy is not perfect. I have bought clothes, and have never thought of returning them there.

<snip>

I have never been happy that the 400t has issues with WAAS accuracy, and perhaps this could be a reason to swap as well if they fixed it.

I have no problem bringing back shoes that don't fit, etc, etc. But, and this is particularly true of technology, buying something you know isn't "exactly what you want" with the expectation of returning it in a few months when the "next greatest thing" comes along is abusing the system.

Slight tangent to the thread: If someone bought an item from REI and it didn't live up to their standards then I see nothing wrong with returning it. According to our Quicken software, my family has spent $3000+ in their store this past year. I think they're making a profit on us. I personally have no issues with returning my 400t because it didn't do what I thought it would. Now if I bought a kayak knowing full well I was only going to use it for just a weekend then return it, that's a different story.

-galaP-

IMHO, I think the 550 is going to be the best all around GPSr offered by any company for a while. The Magellan Triton is close, but not enough. Delorme's PN-40 is okay, but buggy - and no camera.

I currently use a 60CSx and a PN-40. Guess which one is currently in the shop for repairs?

Come July. the 550 is going to get a hard look as my next GPSr. 3.2 megapixels is perfect for the camera and 5x7 prints.

Because Garmin needs 2 years of programming to create a firmware - and afterwards you can decide if this gps is fine or you can return it.

Remember the first FW-Versions..... :rolleyes:

:anicute:;)

Edited by freeday
The camera is not intended for award winning photography. 3.2 is ideal for taking quick photos of stages etc.
Megapixels mean nothing when you have a garbage lens, which I'm sure this device will have, just like every cell phone.

Exactly, a lens thats a couple of mm across cant compare to any real camera.

My cell phone camera is a few mega pixels, its ok for fun, but it really is terrible.

First off, I have to concur that from the video, the screen does not look better than on my Oregon 300. The comparison table on Garmin's site doesn't mention any differences, either. The 300's screen isn't really that bad in sunlight (even with an UltraClear screen protector stuck on, which I recommend because your finger slides much better on it), and in the shade and at night, it's perfectly adequate.

I wonder if you have to do the calibration dance with the 3-axis compass as well? The compass as it is is pretty annoying. First, the calibration. You look like an idiot while you're doing it. Just hope there aren't any people around. Second, it seems to overshoot a lot. If you're at a crossroads and turning on the spot too fast, the needle seems to swing around wildly until it settles. It also seems to have a drifting problem. You tend to calibrate rather often because you're never really sure if it's pointing in the right direction. The update rate is also annoyingly low. Once per second is just lame. You're better off deactivating it, which extends battery life by about 30%, and use a separate compass.

I don't think they changed the receiver, because the current oregons use an integrated CPU/receiver by STM. They'd have to use a different CPU then.

As it is, the oregon 300/400 is quite usable. I've had mine for 10 days and it hasn't really let me down so far. I still have 4 days during which I could return it for a full refund, but so far, the Oregon 550 doesn't seem to offer a lot in return for the reduced battery runtime.

I don't see much use for USB 2.0 ... 4 GB micro-SD cards cost about €5, you're better off keeping your maps on those. Everything else is just tiny amounts of data. Now, what would really be useful would be support for more than one image file per card, so you can actually use cards larger than 4GB. Come on Garmin, how hard can that be? Still, 4GB is a lot of maps.

I don't think the camera is even worth mentioning. Fixed focus, a pinhole "lens", and no flash. Puh-lease. Why do you think Garmin doesn't have any sample photos on their site?

Would they not have been better off spending their time fixing, and upgrading the software on the existing models?...

Garmin have (by my reckoning) 7 beta versions of their software for the Oregon. SEVEN! and there are still a lot of issues that they need to resolve. The sooner the better! :lol:

Would they not have been better off spending their time fixing, and upgrading the software on the existing models?...

Garmin have (by my reckoning) 7 beta versions of their software for the Oregon. SEVEN! and there are still a lot of issues that they need to resolve. The sooner the better! :lol:

I think the FACT that there have been all these versions in the last few months shows that they ARE working very hard on the software.......

Quote from above:"First, the calibration. You look like an idiot while you're doing it. "

Since you seem to be classifying yourself, and apparently don't want to be perceived that way.........did you ever rationalize that the compass could be calibrated by laying the unit level on your flat outstretched hand, and turning JUST THE UNIT on your hand while YOU are standing still????????

This realization generally comes immediately before one of those DUH ! moments...........

what would really be useful would be support for more than one image file per card

While the expansion cards don't support multiple img files, you can have up to 3 on the main storage (onboard memory).

On the 400t gmapprom.img is the preloaded topos and you can add a gmapsupp.img as well as a gmapbmap.img to add a total of 4 maps for your unit (including the gmapsupp.img on the microSD card).

Of course you are limited by the amount of memory that is built in, however I have added my home state 24K USGS Topos (gmapbmap.img) and an Open Source Maps routable map for my state plus it's 7 border states. I'd like to see support for other maps on the card as well however just to add additional flexibility without having to merge maps into single image files.

Quote from above:"First, the calibration. You look like an idiot while you're doing it. "

Since you seem to be classifying yourself, and apparently don't want to be perceived that way.........did you ever rationalize that the compass could be calibrated by laying the unit level on your flat outstretched hand, and turning JUST THE UNIT on your hand while YOU are standing still????????

This realization generally comes immediately before one of those DUH ! moments...........

I was about to post something similar but you beat me to it. Reminds me of the joke about screwing in a lightbulb by holding it in place while several others spin the step ladder.

I am interested in what price drop will happen to the other models.

I was sold on the 300 with buying the maps separately and now is the 550 and the 300 are the same price...why not the 550....OR will the 300 drop down to be a bargin

was there any price variance when the 400 came out?

did you ever rationalize that the compass could be calibrated by laying the unit level on your flat outstretched hand, and turning JUST THE UNIT on your hand while YOU are standing still????????

So if I spin the unit in my hand, and turn around at the same time, does that mean I only have to spin and turn once? :lol:

I might be tempted if they added (an option for) a capacitive touch screen. I find the touch screens they use unreliable and had to return at least 2 units (an OR 400t, and a Nuvi 200) for phantom presses (if the screen cover is fitted with any gap then when you press on one corner it will distort and as you lift your finger it can spring back and touch on the far side of the screen - something that recalibrating the touchscreen cannot fix). Capacitive touch screens also require less force to use. I love using my phone for geocaching even though I have an Oregon 400t because the capacitive touch screen is much more responsive. The lack of a second plastic layer is also a big help for readability.

Now, the Garmins are built to be "trail rugged" and so I can imagine that a capacitive touch screen is not the best choice if you are rock climbing or have it strapped to your belt in the woods. Also, glove use is a problem for capacitive touchscreens. But for those of us that may choose them primarily for urban geocaching with only occasional trail use, a different screen option would be nice.

WRT REI's return policy - it is one of the best in the business. I'm struggling with using it in my case, though.

I originally bought a CO 400t mid May last year, then later bought an OR 400t mid to late July when they first came out. The CO was the latest/greatest geocaching device when I bought it in May and yet it was all but obsolete (in fact, soon to be discontinued at many stores) less than 2 months later. The CO is still sold, and I can see that it does have advantages over the OR for one-handed operation, but the units did not hold their value at all. To me, the satisfaction guarantee would be appropriate there as a sort of insurance against premature obsolescence of a $600 device. That's all arguable, I agree, but that is the way I perceived it.

I had already loaded Nav maps on the CO which were tied to the unit, and the jury was still out on the screen usability of the OR so I didn't do an exchange at the time until I had time to make sure the OR would work for me. Since then, though, I had to return the OR twice for new units (one for a bad touchscreen, the other for bricking on me) and now I finally have one that has been flawless for several months. Somewhere in that process I reached the point where it seemed like abuse to return the CO, whether or not you think it was right to return it originally. Now, I'm left with a CO that has virtually no value as a used device - maps that are locked onto it which I can't transfer to my OR - and even though the OR is still seeing love in the form of excellent new features in firmware releases, the CO is the ignored stepchild. The slow, but steady, way that the CO has been margined out of its prime with the focus on the OR has me still considering that there is a case to be made for a satisfaction issue on it, but there is definitely something to be said for not waiting a year to make this determination.

In the end, I hope I can get some money for it on Craigslist or Ebay, but I'm not holding my breath given how deeply discounted you can find them nowadays, and based on the incredible discounts we see on the OR units... :-(

So if I spin the unit in my hand, and turn around at the same time, does that mean I only have to spin and turn once? :huh:

Only if you and your GPSr turn in the SAME direction, otherwise the GPSr will basically point in the same direction while you do a 360. :blink:

Somewhere in that process I reached the point where it seemed like abuse to return the CO, whether or not you think it was right to return it originally.

I returned a Vista HCX 10 months after I bought it at REI due to the rubber band continuously coming off (although I did the usual glue thing) and "drift issues". They took it back gladly.

WRT REI's return policy - it is one of the best in the business. I'm struggling with using it in my case, though.

I originally bought a CO 400t mid May last year, then later bought an OR 400t mid to late July when they first came out. The CO was the latest/greatest geocaching device when I bought it in May and yet it was all but obsolete (in fact, soon to be discontinued at many stores) less than 2 months later. The CO is still sold, and I can see that it does have advantages over the OR for one-handed operation, but the units did not hold their value at all. To me, the satisfaction guarantee would be appropriate there as a sort of insurance against premature obsolescence of a $600 device. That's all arguable, I agree, but that is the way I perceived it.

I had already loaded Nav maps on the CO which were tied to the unit, and the jury was still out on the screen usability of the OR so I didn't do an exchange at the time until I had time to make sure the OR would work for me. Since then, though, I had to return the OR twice for new units (one for a bad touchscreen, the other for bricking on me) and now I finally have one that has been flawless for several months. Somewhere in that process I reached the point where it seemed like abuse to return the CO, whether or not you think it was right to return it originally. Now, I'm left with a CO that has virtually no value as a used device - maps that are locked onto it which I can't transfer to my OR - and even though the OR is still seeing love in the form of excellent new features in firmware releases, the CO is the ignored stepchild. The slow, but steady, way that the CO has been margined out of its prime with the focus on the OR has me still considering that there is a case to be made for a satisfaction issue on it, but there is definitely something to be said for not waiting a year to make this determination.

In the end, I hope I can get some money for it on Craigslist or Ebay, but I'm not holding my breath given how deeply discounted you can find them nowadays, and based on the incredible discounts we see on the OR units... :-(

Flatbear,

In your case, I would go back to your REI store with your explanations above and "get them in the loop" on the possible return. With their input on whether the extended time would "in their opinion" be taking advantage of their policy, you should be able to decide. Possibly then Garmin would allow you to transfer maps.

So if I spin the unit in my hand, and turn around at the same time, does that mean I only have to spin and turn once? :blink:

Doing that can trigger a hole in space and time and suck you out of existence (as we know it).

But you have to turn twice as slowly when you do it

the camera feature look interesting, especially with the geotagging of the photos. Yes, it's probably not the best camera, but that's not what it's built for. Since I can't afford to upgrade my Canon 40D to their version with built in GPS for $8,000, this is a good way to geotag my photos. I can see using it to take a quick snapshot of the scene I just photographed with my DSLR to record location.

I'm still using the 60cs and getting a GPS that'll hold more than 1,000 caches has been something on my want list for a long time.

Anyone know if it'll take Garmin's older City Select maps? If the 400T will, I expect the 550T will too, but have not even confirmed that on the 400T yet.

the camera feature look interesting, especially with the geotagging of the photos. Yes, it's probably not the best camera, but that's not what it's built for. Since I can't afford to upgrade my Canon 40D to their version with built in GPS for $8,000, this is a good way to geotag my photos. I can see using it to take a quick snapshot of the scene I just photographed with my DSLR to record location.

I'm still using the 60cs and getting a GPS that'll hold more than 1,000 caches has been something on my want list for a long time.

Anyone know if it'll take Garmin's older City Select maps? If the 400T will, I expect the 550T will too, but have not even confirmed that on the 400T yet.

Does the 400t auto route with the city select maps because I have ver.7 on my 60c and just bought a 400t.

That would be great! This cartesio chipset seems to be a bit of a disaster and definitely a step backwards from where they were with the Sirf Star III. Unfortunately I can not really imagine that they would do that :laughing:

Any word from Garmin on which chipset will be in the Oregon 500 series? I really liked that SIRF Star III in my previous GPSr.

From the complaints on the previous Garmin Units...I wish they would just fix them instead of announcing new units.

I'd hate to buy this and be unsatisfied like the previous owners who bought the newer units.

For now, I'll stick with my 60CSX...it has done me good.

I think the thing that gets me, is that no matter what, there is always going to be bigger and better...

but it seems that you don't even get a year on unit before the next comes out to make you feel like you need the next greatest thing.

it's true with all electronics, but sometimes I wish they would last longer than a year before making you feel like you wasted money, especially if you were an early adopter!