Too easy?

As I was putting a cache back in place today, another group of cachers came 'round the bend looking for the same one :P

We chatted briefly and compared devices. I was using my iPhone and they were using a couple of Garmin Rinos. I actually had not used my phone to locate the cache -- I work just up the road from this one so I have looked it up on Google Earth and printed the aerial image.

One of the other cachers seemed to think this was cheating. While I wouldn't go that far, I do think these tools make it a LOT easier to find most urban caches. Definitely makes it more challenging for the hider to come up with a good hide.

So -- is looking at an aerial image (on your iPhone, BB, PN-40, or even printed out and tucked into your pocket) cheating? Or does it diminish your pleasure in the hunt? Or is jsut another tool to exploit?

As long as you find enjoyment in the hide then it doesn't really matter what other people think. Sometimes the aerial images are quite a blessing if you are in an urban area with a lot of signal bounce. In other cases, like a DNF we logged the other day, our GPS was off quite a bit so we came home and looked at the map to see if we were in the right area...we were not. Geocaching is different for each and every person and as long as you are having fun and finding caches the way you want to, let nobody dictate how you find them. The best way is the way you like to do it. :P

Just my $.02

Edited by bnprood

I remember when I first came, on the conversation that was going on then was about how mapping GPS receivers were making the game too easy. Frankly, if that were the case, I would have become bored of this game long ago and been long gone.

All the GPS is going to do is get you to the correct area. The rest is up to you to find the cache. IM(NSH)O; People who like to claim it's making the game too easy are just showing GPS envy and are looking to bust the owner's chops. :P

All the GPS is going to do is get you to the correct area. The rest is up to you to find the cache. ...
Exactly.

On the cache I mentioned today, the imagery did show the exact right spot. But you could be standing almost on top of the thing, in ALMOST that exact right spot in the picture -- and still be about 20 feet off. It did take a little analysis (about 10 seconds worth) to realize "If not HERE, must be THERE."

But without imagery, a GPS with a normal margin of error might not lead you to the location where that became obvious.

Edited by lee_rimar
And this from a person caching in a group. :P
Oh, I would cut them some slack on that score.

Tourists. The person who made the remark was familiar with caching and seemed to be showing the others how it worked. They were very impressed with Portland, too -- and startled when they saw the submarine docked across the way from where we were caching :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Blueback_(SS-581)

But without imagery, a GPS with a normal margin of error might not lead you to the location where that became obvious.

Nor will the hider's accuracy be spot on so that image is gonna be off anyway.

I rarely use imagery before hand.. maybe very occasionally for a tricky hike where you need to know trailheads and best route. While cachig I rarely have time to be that bothered. The GPS takes me close enough to start looking. Good road maps or topo maps are enough for me.

But that's kinda the evolution of any sport/game/hobby. Technical advances are gonna happen...better golf clubs, graphite shaft hockey sticks, improved soccer ball stitching patterns, "different" baseballs, radial racing tires. E. coli gonna occur....

But that's kinda the evolution of any sport/game/hobby. Technical advances are gonna happen...better golf clubs, graphite shaft hockey sticks, improved soccer ball stitching patterns, "different" baseballs, radial racing tires. E. coli gonna occur....

Huge 10-4, 3doxies. I was using one of those 72 sq in, wooden framed tennis raquets 35 years ago and thought that those people with the oversized metal ones were cheating, of course. :(

Now, where did I leave my epoxy-carbon-tantalum bowling ball? :D

Lee: Great question and my answer is yes, no, and otherwise:

On our third attempt today, we found this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8a-ce5c9b913667

Yes, using the name of the cache and the imagery on my PN-40, you can see from the Google Satellite view where I parked 10 ft away. Yes, the imagery got me to within arms length.

However, it was one of those micros totally disquised to look like a piece of something that really belonged there.

So, it's like they always say regarding accuracy, if your GPS with coordinates gets you within 20 ft, then let your geosenses kick in.

Well, with the imagery, it is 10 ft and then on the third try my geosenses kicked in. :P

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
...one of those micros totally disquised to look like a piece of something that really belonged there.
That's another good/bad thing about imagery. Some hiders get more clever, but others just plant "caches" no bigger than a pinhead and "hide" them by sticking 'em to the bottom of a trash can.

Nanos are ruinin' the sport, I tells ya! :)

Edited by lee_rimar

Half (or more) of the fun & excitement of the "easy" urban caches is doing it without getting caught. Trying to blend in with the crowd & make a grab & replacement on the sly, etc.

There are several caches in my area that I haven't been able to claim a find on yet because I haven't been able to outfox the muggles. I've seen the caches, I know exactly where they are, yet they remain technically "unfound."

...Or is jsut another tool to exploit?

It's just another tool. The accuracy of a map isn't any better than the GPS. They are a lot easier to use in the urban world, but you still won't do any better with a GPS. The only difference is the (arial) map will clue you in before you get there where it might be and the GPS will have you get there first then you will look around and catch your clue. It's sixes.

For me, one thing the satellite image or Google Streetview tells me is whether or not I want to look for the cache. If it looks like a lamp post cache or is in a seedy neighborhood, I'll pass.

I'll also use it to plan a route in a park with multiple caches. No sense crossing a creek 6 times when twice will do. And it also helps me estimate how long the trip will take in time and walking.

Its not cheating, its using your head for something more than a hat rack.

The first GPS didn't have any mapping capablity and if you had a waypoint and wanted to route to it, the only option was a direct route. Just getting to the cache site was sometime the challenge. So would I say that using a map based GPS is cheating? No. As new technology advances the game also changes.