Do you search GC or NGS database?

cheerose

I know that GC's database is from a 2000 download and doesn't change...

Therefore, is it best to search from NGS' site and then, if a mark is found, record it there first and then, if it is on GC, record it here? I am assuming that NGS does not review the GC finds...

For many reasons, most people tend to gravitate toward using the NGS site to get lists of stations and descriptions to conduct searches.

Generally people start benchmark hunting by just logging to the GC site, and later when they feel they have sufficient experience, they log on the NGS site as well. It's up to you what to do, of course.

Initially I was GC-centric: I would search on GC and log on GC. Eventually I would log a few on the NGS, mostly those with no recent logs.

Then I decided I needed to organize my searches and finds on my own PC, so I built a spread sheet from the NGS list for my home county (New York, NY). Then I added other counties.

After about a year of that, I outgrew excel and at about the same time I started getting into custom Google maps. So I decided I needed a real database with plenty of options and a good scripting language. GSAK was the answer. I added macros that would format the columns of the display, log me on to GC, bring up the NGS datasheet, and generate custom Google maps and other things I wanted. My work flow at the moment is this:

1) When I get interested in a new county or counties, I download the NGS spreadsheets for that county.

2) run that through foxtrot_xray's NGS>>GPX program.

3) Create a database in GSAK for the new county and load the GPX file from the above.

So in 5 - 10 minutes I have a new county up and running. I can search just about any aspect of the datasheets (monumentation date, agency, found/notfound, lat/long, etc.). Need to find the highest, lowest, oldest, furthest east, etc. - click, you got it. Go out, bag them, come home mark them, found or not found, click on "GC" (a macro) - log it there, click on "NGS" (another macro) log that, etc.

Need to add new stations? (like the 1834 Borden station in Nahant Mass I mentioned in another thread today), no problem - the work flow can work with ONE datasheet as well as ALL the datasheets in a county (or in a state for that matter).

So start simple and build from there.

Generally people start benchmark hunting by just logging to the GC site, and later when they feel they have sufficient experience, they log on the NGS site as well.

A highly recommended course of action, since there are a lot of "gotchas" with filing NGS reports that are not at all obvious. For example, that they don't want reports on intersection stations unless the station has been destroyed. (And they have strict requirements for declaring any survey station destroyed.) Or that sometimes reset marks are placed without the database being updated, tricking you into thinking you've found the mark listed in the database.

If you decide that you'd like to start filing recovery reports with the NGS, feel free to post them here first and we can review them for you. Don't worry--we don't bite. :P But we can help you avoid some easy mistakes.

Patty

So, if you find a marker that hasn't been reported since it was monumented in 1979, and it's in good condition and where described, you would report it on the Recovery Form as Good condition and that's all there is to it ?

Too simple - I have found quite a few that haven't been reported since around 79, maybe I should start reporting them ?

If you feel you have the experience to know you have found the right disk (and your 100+ GC logs indicates this) and are confident that your report is accurate, then go to it.

The most valuable part of our reports to NGS is "it's still there in good shape". Good, of course, means that it still appears to mark its original position and has little to do with the cosmetic appearance.

After that comes updates, when useful, on road number changes, railroads torn out, distances to nearby objects to replace ones that are gone, etc.

Then there is the occasional one where you can report a discrepancy for Dave Doyle to investigate. Those are the most fun for me.

When you log to NGS on their form, it will ask if the disk is suitable for satellite observation. It is fine to check "Don't know", as this does not replace any previous record for suitability. Generally their rule is that from head height above the disk you have clear sky all around the horizon above 15 degrees elevation. If you stretch out your arm and spread your fingers with your little finger on the horizon, your thumb is about 15 degrees. There can be a stray tree or pole above that if not really close. On the other hand, a disk on the side of a building or under a big tree is never suitable. Sometimes it is pretty obvious one way or the other but many are best left to a pro to call.

Edited by Bill93