Favorite Geocaching Travel Snacks - What's Yours?

Don't know why this popped in my head but I thought it would be interesting to see...

When you go geocaching for the day. What type of munchies are your favorite to take with you?

Sweet or Salty?

Chips or candy bars?

Pretzels or gummy worms?

What Geosnack <Hmmm, trademark - HHH :( |

do you have to have when geocaching????

And don't all say healthy things like high protein tree bark fortified snack bars cuz we all know we eat junk :P

-HHH :D

Well, technically we haven't brought these along with us yet, but Snickerdoodles are our caching cookies! Our 11 yr old son came up with the idea of calling out snickerdoodle when we find the cache thus allowing the rest of us to know that it's been found and to keep looking. So it just was natural that Snickerdoodles should be our cookie!

And yes, we have stopped for junk food. Mostly sodas, though. I've brought peanuts and crackers along.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it all!!

Oh, gorp, of course! Or Swiss mix, or trail mix, or any of a hundred different names. :P M&M's, peanuts, and raisins. Can't beat that for insta-energy!

Except during the the summer when the chocolate melts, but...

GORP! Boy, I haven't heard it called that in years. But that's what we take. We like to make our own. Peanuts, Sunflower seeds, pecans, dried bananas, Raisins, dried apples, cheeze its, check mix, and mini chocolate chips. All in equal portions. And for drink, we take water and gator-aid. Then when we get home and logging our finds, a nice cold beer.

And don't all say healthy things like high protein tree bark fortified snack bars cuz we all know we eat junk :(

Put me down for a granola bar eater. Not the $15 a piece, tasteless healthy kind, mind you. Gimme the good stuff! Lots of sugar, bad carbs, fats, etc.

That way I can pretend I'm eating healthy. :P

That's so funny! We were just talking about road-trip snax yesterday! FunMama and I have determined that geocaching is a hungry activity; I'm in charge of the cache selection and map when we go, and she makes the picnic. Sandwiches, chips, fruit, water and milk. And it used to include a little cup of pickles until I threw hers out the window. I hate those little pickle cups! (Not to worry; when she was done spluttering in shock and disbelief, I went back and got it to dispose of properly.) Love a geo-picnic. No stopping to eat, though. Gotta drive and eat... one more before the kids get out of school.... :P

I like Greek food, so I usually pack Musaka (eggplant cassarole) Dolmathos (meat and rice wrapped in grapeleaves) souflaki (lamb chunks on a pita bread with szaziki (yogert garlic cuccumber sauce)) Greek salada, and a nice Hieniken. If its going to be along day, and I need the energy, I'll pack some pasticio (pasta with ground meat in a white alfredo sauce) But thats just me.... : )

I like Greek food, so I usually pack Musaka (eggplant cassarole) Dolmathos (meat and rice wrapped in grapeleaves) souflaki (lamb chunks on a pita bread with szaziki (yogert garlic cuccumber sauce)) Greek salada, and a nice Hieniken. If its going to be along day, and I need the energy, I'll pack some pasticio (pasta with ground meat in a white alfredo sauce) But thats just me.... : )

Don't forget the loukamathes and baklava :P

When I plan ahead, I like beef jerky, dried apricots, and roasted almonds. But as it stands, we usually grab Doritos and Gatorade. :P

I keep energy bars in my Geo-backpack in case I do some spur-of-the-moment caching or just forget to properly pack a snack. I also keep a case of bottled water in the car trunk at all times; besides geocaching, it also comes in handy for T-ball games and sneaking into the movie theater.

Edited by Horticulture

We pack Clif Bars in various chocolate flavors, because if you don't have chocolate, what do you have? (OK, OK, we pack Carrot Cake and Banana Bread flavors as well.) They are really not healthy. They give off that aura, but they're really just glorified cookies.

Carolyn

+1 on the Cliff Bars!!!

Cliff Bars and Water... Pretty much all I take...

For us it all depends on what kind of caching we're doing. If we're just doing some P&G's around a scheduled meal time our snack is of the fast food variety. If we're just doing some P&G's because we're in town on errands, it's a bottle of water from the back of the van and maybe a candy bar when we finally get to the store. On longer, planned caching trips we eat a box of Cheezits, or get fancy with it and actually by the club crackers with the squeeze cheese!

Although, after eating all of this stuff and feeling like we should have eaten better, we don't!! We are your junk food eaters HHH, and proud of it!

A side note for you HHH, I love watching your Youtube videos. I watched one the other day and there was a bit of a blooper real at the end. You should have a full blooper real posted, I think that would be funny. Keep up the good work.

~Zwieba

After hearing that our son (15) doesn't like going caching because there's never enough food, I pack nearly everything in the pantry! Apples, chips, jerky, nuts, crackers, snack mix, GORP, etc. We look like we just came from the grocery store!

He still doesn't like going caching, he just doesn't complain so much any more (maybe it's just difficult to hear him with all that food in his mouth) :)

Kashi bars, fruit leather, salmon jerky, beef jerky, turkey jerky, summer sausage, mozzarella sticks, salty nuts, bananas... For electrolyte replacement, V8 juice.

Don't consider myself a health-food guy--I like a charred steak accompanied by a baked potato (butter and sour cream) and an ice-cold martini--but I found that the Powerbar/Gatorade combo was really poor hiking fuel. Haven't figured out how to conveniently carry the steak/potato/martini combo on day hikes, though.

A little bit of everything except chocolate - it melts too quickly. Mostly cookies, crackers, granola type bars, licorices of all sorts - fruit snacks and candies. I always have some water and/or Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey. When going out with my brother, we usually bring along some sandwhiches and chips.

Haven't figured out how to conveniently carry the steak/potato/martini combo on day hikes, though.

Have you tried the ultra-puree button on your blender? :)

Usually just water to drink, but sometimes an iced tea. I'm not much of a soda drinker. I tend to eat a decent breakfast before heading out, and am happy with something sweet and full of carbs in the mid-afternoon.

I love chocolate in general, but not when I'm hot n sweaty.

If we're going for a long day our bag usually contains:

Apples

Water Bottles (frozen)

Cheese Strings

Pepperoni

Rice Crackers

Pop

Granola Bars/Nutrigrain Bars

Mini Carrots

Nuts

Dried Cranberries

Anything really that is pop in your mouth and go type food.

Sorry... coming into this thread late, but I think you will find my feedback to be very enlightening...

My preferences for caching snacks actually tend more toward treats such as foie gras, Italian black truffles, fresh morel mushrooms, saffron-infused Gorp,and beef carpaccio. Maki rolls are good on a short trip in cool weather, as is tuna tartar. But don't even think about those last two when the temps rise above 90F.

PS: Beef shank bones rule!! Buried for a month by the neighbor dog and dug up by me are even better!

Edited by knowschad

I keep a minimum of two cases of bottled water in the truck for us, especially for the kids.

Snacks are a constantly replenished supply of jerky and beef sticks of various flavors. Also a good supply of Clif Bars, Power Bars and any other energy bars THAT ARE ON SALE! Picked up two dozen Clif Bars this week on sale for .39 cents each and a dozen Power Bars for .79 cents each. Only way to go!

Im putting on a Geocaching event in a couple of weeks, and I was thinking about doing a geocaching refreshment of some sort to fit the theme. Any suggestions? I could go generic, make a cookie dough, roll it out, cut it to rectangles, frost with green and write "GEOCACHE" on each one in yellow... but I'd be interested ot see your thoughts of other clever, creative geocaching refreshments. We'll be serving approximately 80-100 people, pot-luck style.