MicroSD for Garmin Oregon - Capacity and Class

All,

I would like to ask a few questions regarding microSD card for Garmin Oregon. I am planning to use it to store topos from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ which are very detailed but take huge amounts of storage.

1. What is the largest capacity you’ve actually seen working fine in Oregon? 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB?

2. Can anybody confirm successfully using Class 6? Class 4? Class 2?

3. Does throughput makes an observable difference in map rendering performance? Would it be waste of money to buy faster microSD because bottleneck is not data throughput?

Thanks!

Aud

All,

I would like to ask a few questions regarding microSD card for Garmin Oregon. I am planning to use it to store topos from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ which are very detailed but take huge amounts of storage.

1. What is the largest capacity you’ve actually seen working fine in Oregon? 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB?

2. Can anybody confirm successfully using Class 6? Class 4? Class 2?

3. Does throughput makes an observable difference in map rendering performance? Would it be waste of money to buy faster microSD because bottleneck is not data throughput?

Thanks!

Aud

I'm using a 4GB class 4 microSD and have the GPSfiledepot CA 24k Topo, CityNav2009NT (all US & Canada), and Garmin Topo 100K for CA,OR,WA,NM,AZ,UT,CO,TX. So far no problems with map redrawing, but I think the limitation will be on map segments (max 4000). I believe Garmin recommends against the class 6 but I can't find a reference for that.

Kingston, Model: SDC4/4GB

4Gb Class 4

I've got Full US Metroguide, Eastern US OSM Routables, KY 24K Topo all loaded with plenty of room to spare, and only $8.99

Good performance for me - I don't think the higher speed cards will yield any performance gains for you - but as others indicate could have potential for problems.

I've heard of someone having 8Gb working on an Oregon - saw it in one of the threads around here.

3 Don't buy the faster Sd, Oregon might crash.

I have all maps, routes, tracks, waypoints and poi's on my Sd and never had a sd related problem or a slow drawing map while navigating.

I've been using an 8GB SanDisk cards in an OR 400t with no problems. The 4k-5k map segment limit seems to be for "enabled" map segments. I've filled the card to 8GB with a various map sets of up to 2GB per .img file a few with more than segments than the total limit than the OR can handle at once. One of these files has 10 of the middle US state 24k topo files from gpsfiledepot. The OR 400t will use the file just fine as long as you keep the "enabled" full state sets down to 3 or 4 depending on the total number of segments enabled is under the the 4k, or so, limit. The OR doesn't seem to care where the active gmapsupp.img file is on the card. So, no, Garmin's official 4GB max doesn't seem to be a limit either. Been curious how a 16GB card would work, but they're still a little too spendy yet.

Thanks everybody!

I've called Garmin today and technician said that "although most of the time 8 Gb will be working, sometimes it will experience lockups and some of these lockups can only be recovered by Garmin". He also recommended no higher than Class 2.

I was not able to find users complaining about the 8 GB card triggered lockups in any forum. Has anybody experienced that/seen users complaining? Looks like it may be mistaken with the "Memory Full" msg/lockup which was fixed in 2.4.

Thanks,

Aud