Lord of the Cachers cache archiving

:D I have heard that Lord of the Cachers is considering archiving his two mega rings and all his other caches after his picnic event.i have found his two mega rings getting so much praise over the last few months,the most talked about and enjoyed by so many cachers for so many reasons. i have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them and seen so much of the countryside in hampshire that is astounding.just think of the physical size of his rucksacs carrying all those caches.hopefully you could all show your support in trying to persuade him to reconsider by posting your feelings here. jeff=bones1. :D:D

I just did 30 or so last weekend and aim to do the rest before they are archived, and I would concur that they were well worth the effort. Having said that many of the smaller logs were almost full and will require replacement soon so maintenance would be difficult for one person (if it is indeed one person!!!).

Having enjoyed the LotC caches I've done too I'd like to see them adopted rather than archived, as I think the series have a lot to recommend them, above and beyond the numbers. We don't know what other demands LotC has on his/her/their time so I'd not say there shouldn't be changes, especially if maintenance is an issue, but I hope the caches can remain, even if that's under someone else's stewardship.

I've only ticked off 33 so far so need more time. I would consider taking on part of the series but don't know I can stretch to them all. If it comes to it I could say I'll adopt the northern loop.

That said, I hope it doesn't come to that and that they all stay for the forseeable future!!

I've only ticked off 33 so far so need more time. I would consider taking on part of the series but don't know I can stretch to them all. If it comes to it I could say I'll adopt the northern loop.

That said, I hope it doesn't come to that and that they all stay for the forseeable future!!

Seems, I am lacking here I have only managed 27 of them but that was on a snowy day back in January. I would like to see the series remain. It is well worth the visit, the section I saw I found the hides are imagnative, walking and country side excelent. I just wished I lived a little closer...

I hope they are still there when I return form sea next time I will have a real effort of cracking them all!

Out of intrest if logs/ caches become the issue can we the cachers not replace them and forward the old ones to the owner? I can see it being allot of maintanence but it is worth it.

Please keep it active!

GerritS

We haven't done any but hope to later on in the year.

Please don't archive them when cachers are still enjoying finding them ( unless there is a specific reason) as they must take a fair amount of upkeep with so many.

If you do our wander may be sooner than I planned :P

Did look for a Travel lodge sale but not lucky in that direction

Please do not allow to be archived this MEGA series.Local UK cachers please help on the support of this MEGA series.

I can give you a good reason for this:

It will keep the foreign visitors of the UK in high ranks, I mean it will keep the geocaching-tourists (like me) on visiting the UK again and again.

(Greetings to the fellow geocachers bones1 and Simply Paul that I had met at the Hemel Hempstead meeting last year and also to currykev !)

Edited by YanniG

we would love to see them kept on.. we did a loop last weekend, and hope to do another this weekend.. the hides were fab, many were nice size boxes, and we met some lovely cachers on our travels all doing this great series..... it will be a series well missed if they go... we had a an hour or so drive to do them and glad we did, beautiful countryside setting. Please dont archive! To us this was true caching, park the car and have a lovely rewarding long walk.

We've got our fingers crossed that you decide to keep these as well. We're planning to come down from North Wales to do these over a few days over the Christmas break. It's becoming a tradition on Bank Holidays / end of year breaks for us to tackle part of a longer trail and we get a real sense of achievement once we've finished a group especially for our son Horrid Henry (age 11) after walking a good distance and picking up a good quantity of caches.

We've got our fingers crossed that you decide to keep these as well. We're planning to come down from North Wales to do these over a few days over the Christmas break.

Thats some planning.

What are you doing next Easter then?

:rolleyes:

Hopefully we're caching in New York / Florida. :anicute:

i can possibly see that a regional posting might be usefull for regional events and activities but my posting is for all cachers everywhere that might have been on lord of the cachers series or who intends to try them,lets just leave it alone now and see if any more answers arrive about the archiving possibility. jeff=bones1. :rolleyes::anicute:

sounds like incentive to me

Worked for us!

We had planned to spend bank holiday weekend elsewhere but changed our plans when we noticed the comment on LOTC's profile.

We did the whole lot (50+ miles of walking) over three days and we all had a great sense of acheiment afterwards

Incidentally, SimplyPaul's and drsolly's mention of a possible 'Chiltern 100 Death March' on a log on one of our own caches spurred us into doing the Chiltern 100 series a few weeks earlier...

:rolleyes: I have heard that Lord of the Cachers is considering archiving his two mega rings and all his other caches after his picnic event.i have found his two mega rings getting so much praise over the last few months,the most talked about and enjoyed by so many cachers for so many reasons. i have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them and seen so much of the countryside in hampshire that is astounding.just think of the physical size of his rucksacs carrying all those caches.hopefully you could all show your support in trying to persuade him to reconsider by posting your feelings here. jeff=bones1. :anicute:;)

Hi All

being new to all this forum stuff!

so here goes

i was planning on doing the southern loop of the uk mega next weekend, having heard something through the grapevine. now having read this thread it seems to have been confirmed, that it may be coming to an end.

If this is the case and it is purley a maintanace issue, other than something else. could we all not do something about it.

what i propose to do is carry some blank logs with me and replace any that are getting full, i could even take some containers if i new what sort of size!

If we all where to do some maintanance would this help?

I must admit that without the previous logs, it is not easy to plan, but with them added to a watch list other locals could take them on a few at a time or each and share the load.

having said that i live 30 miles from the series so it would prove impracticle for me.

But it would be a real shame to loose what i hope is a good series.

if any one knows of any problems with the southern ring let me know and i will try and put it right as i do them.

Peter

If this is the case and it is purley a maintanace issue, other than something else. could we all not do something about it.

Peter, this sounds like a sensible offer :anicute:

Whilst I don't know for sure why The Lord intends to archive his rings... I think that suggestions of this kind can only reinforce our request to keep these caches live. Consider that he has around 280 live caches to maintain... I have 130 of my own and believe me that's enough to cope with!

Maybe offers of adoption may be the way to go? Not necessarily for the whole of each ring, but for segments of each?

If we really want these kept live then I think we have to work at it! :rolleyes:

:laughing: I have heard that Lord of the Cachers is considering archiving his two mega rings and all his other caches after his picnic event.i have found his two mega rings getting so much praise over the last few months,the most talked about and enjoyed by so many cachers for so many reasons. i have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them and seen so much of the countryside in hampshire that is astounding.just think of the physical size of his rucksacs carrying all those caches.hopefully you could all show your support in trying to persuade him to reconsider by posting your feelings here. jeff=bones1. :D:D

Hi All

being new to all this forum stuff!

so here goes

i was planning on doing the southern loop of the uk mega next weekend, having heard something through the grapevine. now having read this thread it seems to have been confirmed, that it may be coming to an end.

what i propose to do is carry some blank logs with me and replace any that are getting full, i could even take some containers if i new what sort of size!

If we all where to do some maintanance would this help?

I must admit that without the previous logs, it is not easy to plan, but with them added to a watch list other locals could take them on a few at a time or each and share the load.

having said that i live 30 miles from the series so it would prove impracticle for me.

But it would be a real shame to loose what i hope is a good series.

if any one knows of any problems with the southern ring let me know and i will try and put it right as i do them.

Peter

Hi All

As promised i completed the southern ring of the mega! apart from no 51 it lokked a bit dodgy to me!

All the caches lokked in pretty good shape, none of the logs were full and had at least 30% left blank.

The only maintanance required was the sharpening of a few pencils, which i did.

I hope this will help convince LOTC to keep this series up and running,but it is over to some of you to convince him at his park meet, unfortunately i will not be able to make it as i am double booked with a Scouting activity.

I hope this has helped the situation.

Peter

I managed to comlpete the northern ring yesterday - had planned the whole lot over two days but an untimely trip and fall resulted in an injury that meant I could only complete that ring - so now i hope these wont be archived so I can complete the rest sometime in the future

If not to be archived at least adopted