Cointest celebrating the end of the semester!

Fiery Searcher

Nearly finished with the grading of my students’ final exams, I can’t help but wonder what they will remember of my class years from now. What did they like best? What did the like the least? Did they learn anything? And in a moment of vanity, will they remember me as a “good” teacher?!

I have also wanted to offer a cointest for some time now, so I think I will meld these two and have an End-of-the-Semester Cointest!

Up for grabs:

Luminous Energy geocoin with satin silver finish

(in hopes my lectures were “illuminating”!)

The Only Rule:

One entry per person, so give this some thought.

Cointest:

Tell me about a class and/or an instructor that left an enduring impression on you and why. Note that an “enduring impression” can be positive or negative, and in some cases can be both of these at the same time! Include the grade (K-12)/year (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior) in which you had this experience, and any details that will help me understand why this experience was so memorable.

Winner:

I will choose the winner one week from today.

Good luck and have fun thinking back to school and/or college days!

In my senior year studying Computer Science at Dalhousie University I was also trying to run my own business. Neither my business nor my studies were doing well. The prof for my Advanced Analytical Theory course was getting royally p***ed over my efforts and brought me into his office to chew me out. He basically told me he would fail me if my next programming assignment wasn't graded an A.

The next assignment came out and I finished all the code in less than 2 hours. He hadn't even had time to set up the submission account on the university's server. Basically called me a liar when I emailed him to say I was done. Once he had the account set up to submit the assignment, I did so, and got an email of apology back from him.

That night, I went down to the local pub for a pint of Guinness and ran into the same prof there. He was a regular -- even had his own beer stein hanging over the bar. He bought me a scotch by way of apology.

For the rest of the year, most Saturday nights we were drinking buddies. He had a tonne of stories about growing up in Scotland, working in Bletchley Park (he was that old!), and immigrating to Canada.

I aced that course based on the remainder of the year, and got a job based on a letter of recommendation he wrote for me.

Great cointest idea!

My memorable teacher taught me Grade 11 Advanced Math. It was his first year of teaching and he was young and very thorough. He was a super organized guy who became the brunt of many a joke about his detailed-orientedness and his youth -- but it was all in good fun as all his students really liked him. He was just so darn personable.

I had a natural knack for math -- it came easily to me with very little studying so I often found myself with extra time during his class and on my spares. So we naturally got to talking and had many a discussion about my career direction. Or lack thereof.

I was like any other typical teenager with no clue what I wanted to do with my life after high school. Though I did pretty well in school, I didn't really like it and couldn't imagine a topic that would interest me for four years in university. The guidance counsellors were useless and had zero interest in trying to practically assist me in my decision. But my math teacher spent a lot of time with me, giving me options to consider and paths to research. He was the one that advised me to consider engineering...a tough degree in a male-oriented field (I'm female). So I went for it on his advice.

It was a turning point in my life...I absolutely hated it (for the most part) and struggled for four years before finally calling it quits and switching to Business/Human Resources. But...had it not been for his advice, I would never have met some of the most important people in my life -- my husband, my best friend and eight women in my close circle of friends that I could easily, without hesitation, call my sisters. Oh, and I kept my love for math too...I think I like it even more to this day!

So, I actually think of this teacher often and wonder if he has changed at all and wonder if he knows how highly I think of him. Perhaps it's time to look him up and say "hi".

My last few classes taken in completing my BS degree, one of the couses was Statistics. I took it by choice much against the guidance of my Academic Advisor and many others. Figured if it was required for Grad School, lets get it over.

Well, the Prof also had that, no one does well with this course attitude. He clearly stated many people had to take this more than once to pass. Urghhh - not a good way to start out but I just jumped in and said - Gotta' get' er' done. It was somewhat mathematically based so that wasn't too bad for me.

Each exam became easier and with each A - the prof kept saying, there was one student who didn't seem to be making this difficult for themselves. Friends and I started studying together............and we eventually all were doing well on exams. The Prof continued to talk to the intergration of Math and Stats and motivating us.

Before the semester was over - nearly our entire class passed this class with a B or higher and everyone was amazed that Stats is not as "God awful" as many folks perceive it to be. It's not the class or the material - it is the way it is presented by the Prof! Thankfully this Prof began to develope the "you can do it" attitude when one student caught on and began to help others.

The change of this Prof's attitude was clearly noticed and genuinely appreciated by our entire class!

Miss Hagen-6th grade reading teacher.

She deserves your prize.

I was in a foster home and struggling in every subject. Reading was my favorite class.

Spring break that year she and her boyfriend "secured my release" for a weekend backpacking trip to Lost Lake near Rabbit Ears Pass in CO. I didn't even realize she knew anything about my "personal" life. Much less cared. I think she took pity on me and wanted to do something special.

We hiked in and set up camp and within hours it was raining. My tent developed major leaks and we all ended up crammed into one tent for the whole weekend. We played a lot of cards. (I'm positive her boyfriend wasn't happy that it turned out that way! :D ) May not sound like much, but to an 11 year old it was an adventure.

More over what it did to my sense of self-worth. They made me feel like I was worth something. And that she was my friend as well as a teacher.

It made me want to work all the more harder in her class and instilled a love of literature that has stuck with me to this day.

It has been quite a while.

Thanx for stirin' up some warm memories! :D

I had a class that was run by a chemistry professor that was an Honors Colloquium, which looked at how society and science would shift their point of views, many times at the same time.

The class was about half science types, and half not-science types. Each week or so, we'd go into some science topic, and the science guys would feel smart because the 'artsy people' couldn't get the equations and basic scientific concepts. But then by the end of the week he'd show how it would conflict with some basic philosophy, or some basic tenant of socialogy or psychology, and then the non-science would laugh at the 'geeks' cause they couldn't figure such a simple concept.

It was like this all year long. It was to challenge you to see beyond your point of view, and was really cool. That and we were the proofreaders for the book that he was writing...that happened to be the class book. We'd just get photocopied chapters...so no book cost!

And the fact that some meetings were at the local restaurant/pub for the older people in the class...just restaurant for those who weren't.

Good food, beer, and and a good course.

And it's still a class that I recommend to my students now 12 years later.

This is such perfect timing that I just wanted to throw a reply in. Today I finished my last final in my last semester for my BA and I'm so excited and relieved to be finished!

Probably the best professor that I have had was a geology professor that I had last year. I am not a science major by any strech of the imagination, but needed to take science classes to fulfill general education requirements. My geology professor was the only science professor that I had in college that did not look down on or think poorly of students who were not science majors (I had two like that, one went so far as to tell a class that they were all too stupid to be science majors). Instead he tried his very best to get everyone excited about the subject, something that seems like it would be hard considering the subject is rocks. However, his excitment and love of the subject always showed in his lectures and the class really responded to it.

He took something that I had little interest in and made it fun for me to learn, and he did it for a class of at least 50. Everyone in that class loved the class and loved him. Rather than trying to make the class insanely hard so he could laugh at the dumb "non majors" he did everything he could to make sure that everyone did well. He offered extra credit if you would come to his office to get extra help, before or after a test. If you did poorly on a test he would give you extra credit or a chance to make it up if you would come and discuss what you missed and let him explain it to you better. His focus was not grades, or making himself feel important or smart, his focus was that all of his students walked away from his class with a better understanding of the subject and hopefully that his students would like geology.

His teaching methods definitely worked. Everyone on campus loves him. He is so highly regarded by both people in the college of science, and the dreaded "non majors." He turned something that I dreaded doing into something that I really enjoyed and I still enjoy geology and actually took another geology class that wasn't required.

I had a great time at school and University. But there were 2 defining moments in my high schooling that I often look back on. The one that I will share is the more humourous one - I suppose when I realised teachers were mere mortals and not some automatons - and they also had a great sense of humor (and probably had a life outside of school too ::D: ).

I completed my mid-term exams in English and had handed in a paper on Shakespere's Julius Caesar - a book I actually ended up enjoying. When I got my written report that was posted to my parents - I found that I had obtained top marks and recieved an "A+" grade. The comment next to that by the teacher was - "Well Done and I do not expect this again!" a realistic comment - although I was an above average student - English was not my forte - and even though I did pass they year well - I never repeated my flash of English Literary brilliance.

Thanks for the cointest - and it is always fun sharing good memories.

I can't pick out one!

I have to say for Primary school, Mr. Sklar comes to mind. He wasn't what you would call cool, he was short, chubby, balding and suffered from serious coffee breath! One day he lost his temper and stapled a fidgety boy to his seat! But he was interesting and had a scientific sort of mind so we got on well. Plus I was a good student so no staples for me!

In Uni, when I was studying for my undergrad degree, Paleontology, I would have to say one professor stood out for me. His name was Dr. Sargeant. He was an older gent from the UK, getting senile and definitely 'old school' pale ontologically speaking... a dinosaur. He would entertain us for hours with stories of fossil hunting during the war ( who knows which one :D ) but when he really got down to serious lecturing my hand nearly fell off from the writing. I think my record was 15 pages of notes per 1.5 hour lecture. He would use the same exams over again, alternating between two or three and have them on file in the library so you could use them to study from. His exams were all essay style which I did quite well on, having a good memory to spew out info verbatim.

Dr. Harold Rakov was a professor of mine. He was the scariest teacher I've ever had: demanding, a stickler for everything from spelling and grammar to clear-headed thinking. Challenged you to do your best work.

If he found three errors of spelling, grammar or failure to footnote, he would circle the errors in red marker with a huge, looping hand and draw a line at the last mistake. He would then grade the paper "Incomplete" and hand it back. If all the marks were in your first line...well, then , there the paper ended for him.

That "Incomplete" was your chance to save yourself. You had to correct what he had found then make SURE there were no other errors. If he found three more, he stopped reading and graded it as if you had handed in work that was stopped at that last, fatal third error.

No third chance, no pleads for mercy - that was IT. And it wasn't the end of it, oh, no. After you passed under his gimlet eye, then he would consider the CONTENT.

This sounds so small...this is the LEAST that he taught me: Accuracy, percision of language and thought. He was a great teacher. I was scared to death of him and I loved him. I took every one of his classes I could fit in.

He has since passed away and I never got the chance to tell him how much he meant to me. I regret that.

In the words of Dr. Rakov, "If I could write my own epitaph, it would simply be...He was useful. He was useful to people, to the college and to the educational system."

God Bless you, Dr. Rakov. I loved you.

Edited by ATMouse

WOW!! LOVE THE STORYS. its lunch time from work, if I could only shrink and go back to school....

Heres one from my heart. Ill Never forget this teacher,, but first you have to understand about me when I was in school..

I was that nightmare kid, that sat in the back of the class and messed with everyone. Disrupting and making comments....messin with the other kids that were tring to learn. throwing paper,and all that stuff...I eventually dropped out of school and taught myself but thats another story.

I was A.D.H.D and was cranked up on about 1000 mg of Riddilin a day, witch basicly shut off the brain..,, I come from a broken home with both parents as drunks. So lets just say home life was not stable and I was not into school at ALL.

My freshman year in high school, Earth Science, ill never forget!! I hated science class. What did I care about that for!?!? I was the worst student you could have, never did my homework, and failed all the tests, not because I couldent pass them but I did not care.

My teacher Mr Martinez, was the fun type, easy going , but still firm. He called me out many times in class, even sent me to the principals office a bunch.

One day after my normal disruptions He told me to stay after class. After class he sat down locked the other students out of his class and we had a talk, I figured he would say the normal stuff, that turned into bla bla bla after the first few words. But instead He was caring and offered me lots of help , he was a friend to me and truely cared if I learned something or nott. I was not just a crappy student to him, He explained he knew I was smart but could tell I was not doing well with life. So at the end of the talk he said I had to stay after school in his class every day. Every day he locked the students out and helped me understand that days teachings, and what i needed to do to pass his class. I learned sooo much. He really showed me how to work hard and study. He was a good teacher and ill never forget how he alone changed how i may have turned out had i not had him for a teacher. Any way I passed earth science thanks to his decision to help me in that manner, and actually grew quite fond of the subject. He even took me to a rock showing one day to see all the pollished rock and learn their worth.

So to all the teachers that have gone way over and beyond the call of duity to help a single student, even taking the time away from their familys to help that 1 student. Thank you!!! You are A reason I was able to overcome so many problems in my life. That 1 teacher had a life time of impact on me!!! Thank you so very much Mr. Martinez!!!

2nd grade. Mrs. Ogliaruso. I can't really tell you why I liked her so much...maybe it was because I hated my first grade teacher so having a nice teacher in the 2nd grade was a good break.

I was a fast reader and we had SRA's back in those days...(there was a "box" of reading cards...and you were supposed to "read your way" through the box starting with a certain color and working your way up). Well in teh first grade I was already reading about half way through the box but my teacher still made me start at the beginning. Needless to say I was very bored!

So in second grade Mrs. O let me read on my proper reading level. She used lots of stickers on assignments, she had fancy cursive writing that she made smilieys out of...generally the class was very "positive". I don't remember dreading school or hating to go...

I still exchange Christmas cards wtih Mrs O. 20 years after passing her class! :P

Cool idea and I have the perfect memory.

My senoir year (1997). One of my classes was art or technically called Graphic Communications. The teacher's name was Mr. K. For the life of me I can not remember what exactly his last name was, for from the first day (my sophomore year) we were told to call him Mr. K. Anywho, I am not a very artistic person. I could never draw things the way I pictured them in my mind. But for some reason in his class I felt great. He taught us how to pixelize a picture so up close it was blurry but at a distance in was somewhat focused. Very neat. One part of the class I still do to this day and just love it. He taught us how to etch glass. We could do anything we wanted, as long as we had a way to etch it to glass. My very first one I did was a mirror I gave to my now wife.

After that I really fell in love with etching. And all because of one teacher that made it fun. I now do all kinds of mirrors.

I made one for my 1974 Dodge Charger (no longer have that car). My buddy's 1966 Mustang. Owl for my wife's grandma. Unicorn for her aunt. Our wedding glasses with matching mirrors. Glasses for her cousin's wedding. Doughboyfor grandma's sister. And a doorprize at a Geo event.

Because of one teacher, I have been inspired to create glass etchings. I have wanted to get into it more. I thinking about putting Dodge emblems on the extended cab windows of my truck. Also want to put a Yamaha symbol on my shop door window.

I will forever remember that one teacher for showing me something that I do not need to be a great artist to create.

The one teacher that I think left the biggest impression on me was my French teacher from high school, Bette Knowles. I was fortunate enough to have her for my teacher all four years of high school. She had started teaching the same year I was a freshman, so it was a great start to high school.

She developed in me a love of languages, and even though it's been 16 years since I graduated, I still remember bits and pieces of French. It's been helpful in my current profession, especially now, as I was recently working with some French commandos, and Legionaires in southern Afghanistan. Every where I have gone in the last 13 years, as I've progressed through the ranks, I've been able to keep my mind open to new experiences and languages thanks to what Madame Knowles instilled in me during those four years.

Being open and willing to experience new cultures and try to learn parts of the languages has, I think, helped me out immensely when dealing with people from outside the US. It made my time in Bosnia more fun. My time in Korea was a lot less stressful when I was able to communicate at least the little bit in the native tongue. And now, here in Afghanistan, it has helped so much when dealing not only with the Afghan military, but with the coalition partners I operate with on an almost daily basis.

I lost track of Madame Knowles shortly after enlisting, and even though I've been home a number of times in the years since, haven't been able to find her to thank her for the wonderful gift she gave me: a love of languages, and a willingness to be open-minded to "different" cultures and people.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! These stories are sincere and it is amazing how we don't necessarily realize the impact we have on others (or the impact others have on us?) until we take a moment to look back. It is also fun to get to know some of you a little better, too.

Looking forward to hearing from more! This cointest will run till midnight my time (central), Tuesday, 12 May.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! These stories are sincere and it is amazing how we don't necessarily realize the impact we have on others (or the impact others have on us?) until we take a moment to look back. It is also fun to get to know some of you a little better, too.

Looking forward to hearing from more! This cointest will run till midnight my time (central), Tuesday, 12 May.

I'm glad this isn't over yet. I have been thinking about this one and definitley have someone in mind just haven't put together what I want to say.....

Mr. Adams of Widefield High School...

Due to a pretty messy family situation, I had moved around a lot in elementary and middle school. My mom had multiple abusive boyfriends after my dad died and my family was heavily into the drug scene (my dad and uncle had been dealers in the local community). Trauma and drama was pretty much the norm for my family...

Unlike a lot of kids who grow up in chaos, I was somehow able to use school to cope with my home life problems. That was my escape. In middle school I became extremely interested in science and wanted to follow the college prep science track at the high school, which began with Chemistry. I think that even then I knew that going to college was the only way out.

The only problem was that because of 15 moves in about 8 years (my mom was great in saving first and last month rent....and stalling for a few months before we were evicted... while saving for the next first and last again), I was always behind in my math skills and was placed in the lower academic level tracks. I was a "pleasant student" who hadn't developed the necessary skills to succeed in the collegiate track,

I wasn't going to be allowed to take the class and was advised to to take the earth science class instead which I was "more prepared for". I was crushed but vigilant.

Rather than give up, I personally made an appointment with Mr. Adams and the academic counselor and basically begged them to put me in the class on a trial basis. There was a sense that this was my only shot out of the life I had grown up with...

Well, they agreed but I had to come in for tutoring after school. It was tough... I was struggling through the math part of the chemistry for the first half of the term. I got the concepts, but for some reason I couldn't wrap my mind around the math calculations. Nonetheless, I stayed with it, kept attending the tutoring sessions and Mr. Adams kept pushing and encouraging me. I distinctly remember the click or the "a ha" I had when it all came together. It was a great feeling and it was amazing to have accomplished something that others had told me I couldn't do. Not only had he made Chemistry a ton of fun, but he had given me opportunities to be successful.

I didn't know it at the time, but he also determined my future career path. I joined his Chemistry Club (yes I became a geek) and for the next 3 years I was apart of the group that provided tutoring for other students, judged science fairs at the middle school, and ran demonstrations for the elementary kids on science day.... these experiences of working with others (kids) came into play later in my life. We also pranked the school quite a bit (smoke bombs, contact explosives etc... things that would get student expelled for today :laughing: )

I stayed with science, got a degree in Biochemistry and worked in a University Transplantation Research Lab for a while, but never felt like I was accomplishing much personally. I then made an irrational decision (at least according to my boss who had been pushing me towards the doctorate program) and jumped into teaching...

I am now in my 11th year of teaching middle-school science and I love it (not the politics, but the kids). I have also purposely made it my mission to stay in low performing schools with the mindset that if I made it through my life, maybe I can help a few others find a way out as well...

I have recently had several former students come and visit me now that they are in college and it has been quite humbling to hear that I was one of the ones that inspired them....

Mr. Adams made a huge difference in my life, and I am trying to do the same for my students.

I'm going to change it up a little bit, and mention a teacher that I had that was not from high school or college. While I did graduate from both, I had a lot of teachers and professors who made impressions on me. However, in 1995-96, I was a student in the Western Maryland Police Academy. My teacher was an officer named Cpl Jack Moulton.

I was one of 20 students in the academy. When entering, some of the other officers for the department which hired me said things like, "Now don't be surprised if you can't make it through the academy. Not everyone who starts the academy is able to graduate." They said this in part because of my slight physical stature at the time (5'11" and 135 lbs). However they had no idea that what I lacked in size, I made up for in determination. I ended up graduating 2nd in my class, partially because of Cpl Moulton's teaching style.

The academy was set up as mostly classroom instruction, with another portion of physical training. Cpl Moulton was our instructor for the classroom part. His style was such that in order to graduate, the student had to answer every test question correctly in a testing environment. What that means is that after each exam, we also had to retake the questions that we missed from the previous exam. We had to keep doing this until we got them correct. Some students were still trying to answer some of them correctly on the day of graduation. He always put in the extra time and effort to ensure that we had the resources necessary to not only answer the questions correctly, but to understand why the answers were what they were.

As I said, I graduated 2nd in my class, and was an officer for a while before realizing that the job was not right for my personality. I do not regret having done it, though, as my experience in the academy proved that I could do whatever I wanted, as long as I put my mind to it. Cpl Moulton's unique style went a long way to show me that fact, and help me achieve my goal.

edited for spelling

Edited by SgtMikal

Team Haynes, yours is a very inspirational story, I can imagine that your students have benefitted much from your experiences. Thanks for sharing with us too.

My story is more simple and cheesy :rolleyes:

My parents were both teachers, my Mom taught elementary and my Dad taught high school math. So to me, they taught me everything I needed to know, both in life and in school. When I was very young, mom taught me how to read and whatnot before I ever went to school, and I loved to read. When I was a little older, I remember doing mental math puzzles in the car with my dad, we didn't call it algebra, it was just a fun little game. When I was in high school, I actually had my dad as a teacher for computer science class. I enjoyed his teaching style, even if I had to work extra hard to impress the teacher! In life, I became a software developer because of the influence of my dad.

I was going to start a very rigorous 4 years of training very soon. Because I hadn't taken any classes for several years I decided I should take a class at the local community college. I chose a modern US history course for two reasons. I thought it would require a lot of memorization and I would need that for the classes I was going to take and also because in previous history courses we had never gotten past WWI.

On the first day of class the instructor gave us all a map of the US and asked us to put the names of all the states in the correct spot on the map. I think that he was trying to gauge what level this class ws at. I was absolutely astonished when the lowest score was only 3. I sure hope that they identified Michigan correctly! The best score was all 50 correct.

Then he started the lectures. He was amazing!! He made history come alive. He didn't use any props or even any notes but he totally captured my attention for the entire class. He taught all the "standard" events but also from another perspective--that of the black population. Not black history but general history from the black perspective. For the entire class you could tell he was passionate about his subject. Did we talk only about the Civil Rights Act or segregated schooling--nope. but instead I felt he gave a more well rounded interpretation of all the history that he was teaching ie more than one interpretation of the same events. To this day I don't know how he did it. All I know is that history came alive right before my very eyes when he talked!!

He "only" had a masters degree and not a phd so he taught at the community college level and not at a university. But he was the best instructor I have had by far both before that class and afterwards. He loved his subject and conveyed that to his class. When I was writing in those little blue booklets the answers to the final essay exam I stopped mid sentence realizing that no matter what I said it wouldn't change the grade I was getting one iota. I then started anew on the next page. I don't remember the specifics but I spent the next page and a half telling how I really enjoyed his class. I also told him that he was the best instructor I ever had and why. Everyone one needs to know that they are appreciated and that they are doing a great job when they are. (Nope I really wasn't brown nosing as I had wrapped up my grade before that exam ever started :lol: ) When I went to pick up the exam those pages had been torn out. I know he was happy to realize that he really did get through to someone. :sad:

Great idea for a contest. I am currently in college at UoP and unfortunately I have not encountered any great instructors. However one comes to mind. I was in the third grade and her name was Mrs Connie Mcfarland and she was at the school in Columbia falls Montana. She not only taught the general classes but she taught us about being responsible children at the age of 9 years old. For many years I have kept in contact with her, later on I had made such an impression that she hired me to take care of her sick mother. I miss her more then a lot of people I have lost in my life. Connie and my mom who passed away at Christmas were the most influencial teachers in my life and they are both gone now. My mother taught me that I had to work harder then any of the other students but for the most part I wasn't in her class for that reason. Regardless though she taught me how to be strong, and how to cope with her loss. These two women made a huge impact in my life and they are both gone now. I would love to have something to remember them by.

BigSkyGeoBuggers

Edited by BigSkyGeoBuggers

Thanks everyone for your participation and for really giving this cointest some thought. I know time is precious for everyone, so I appreciate the time you have taken to post AND know that I am putting some quality time into deliberations to decide the winner!

I will have an answer by 5:00pm today, central time, so stay tuned....

It is time to announce the winner and end my first cointest. Thanks again to all of the participants for sharing - many of you have given me something to think about! I think my students might say that I have coffee breath on occasion. They might also add that I am a stickler for clear, concise writing. Your stories have also helped me to be more aware of my own teaching style. As a scientist, I fear I might get a little too caught up in the nuances of sciences, rather than fostering an appreciation for science. Also, I should take caution when forming an opinion of students based on their grades or classroom performance exclusively, as we are all definitely more than the sum of our parts (or grade point averages).

So, after much deliberation, I would like to declare toadjumper the winner of this cointest! Believe me, this was a tough decision, and made me wish I'd used a random number generator to determine the winner. However, I think what moved me from their post was how their french teacher generated not just an appreciation for the subject, but also provided a more open, welcoming outlook and tolerance for the diversity of people and cultures around us.

Toadjumper, I will email you and see about getting this coin to you ASAP!

Thanks again, everyone!

I trust the prize for my first cointest reached toadjumper safely. And yes, having this cointest was a nice diversion from my studies, but not a total derailment!

As this is my first time initiating a thread, I am trying to figure out how to close it. I'd like to keep the historical record accurate - he he he Can I close this, or do I need help from the moderators?

Thanks in advance, if I need assistance!

I trust the prize for my first cointest reached toadjumper safely. And yes, having this cointest was a nice diversion from my studies, but not a total derailment!

As this is my first time initiating a thread, I am trying to figure out how to close it. I'd like to keep the historical record accurate - he he he Can I close this, or do I need help from the moderators?

Thanks in advance, if I need assistance!

Yep the moderators have to close the thread but and only need the OP to request it.