Map Building

Coyote's Girl

I'm going camping this weekend. We're going to a really nice area in Missouri. I'd like to pack the GPSr and take my pals along on some hunts. Is there a way to create a custom map for the trip? Not a "Cahe along a route" type, but a large map that I can put on only the caches that I'd like. "Oh this one's a micro so I'll miss that, but here's a nice large size that I think my friends will enjoy finding so I'll put it on. Here's a myster that I'd like to try out, I'll put that here. What kind of a sick freak would put a nano in the woods?? MISS!" that sort of thing. Just an overview map that would show caches I picked and wouls like to visit. Perhaps with numbers and thier info on the bottom of the page?

I'm going camping this weekend. We're going to a really nice area in Missouri. I'd like to pack the GPSr and take my pals along on some hunts. Is there a way to create a custom map for the trip? Not a "Cahe along a route" type, but a large map that I can put on only the caches that I'd like. "Oh this one's a micro so I'll miss that, but here's a nice large size that I think my friends will enjoy finding so I'll put it on. Here's a myster that I'd like to try out, I'll put that here. What kind of a sick freak would put a nano in the woods?? MISS!" that sort of thing. Just an overview map that would show caches I picked and wouls like to visit. Perhaps with numbers and thier info on the bottom of the page?

Well, let's see. You could do a search on the Zip or the area's name. Only download to your GPSr the one's that you want to find.

You could do a PQ. I prefer to search via Zip/Name and pick/download the ones I want to go for.

I live in this area so PM me if I can help.

The Pocket Query (PQ) will enable you to do what you want. Do you have a Garmin? If so if you have never registered it, do so on the Garmin site (My Garmin) even if its several years old.

The come back here and get your 30 day trial premium membershiphttp://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

Don't have an unregistered Garmin? NP - it's only $30 / year to become a premium member. Well worth it for the Pocket Queries alone, not to mention the subscription feature (alerts based on your specified criteria and others).

If you aren't familiar with Pocket Queries - here's a quick summary. A pocket query will create GPX file (that you can load in google earth and create your map - or print online using the preview in google maps feature). The GPX file will also load all the cache coordinates to your GPS.

The pocket query will allow you to specifiy the type (say, traditional) and size (say regular and large only) and specific radius of a particular set of coordinates or zip code (say 20 miles). You then have a query that gives you the caches that meet your criteria.

You can just dump that out to your GPS and print map, or if you desire review the results, and eliminate those that you aren't interested in, or the opposite and choose those that you are and transfer each individually to your GPS.

Bottom line - the Pocket Query is your friend and can really help streamline the process of selecting caches to hunt.

Yes! I do exactly that (you need a premium membership for this)...

First, go to your bookmarks page, and create a bookmark list for this bunch of caches.

Next, do a search on the area in question, either by doing a standard search, or going all out and creating a pocket query (which lets you search by more specific criteria) then viewing it as a list or Google map.

Then, viewing the results of your search or pocket query, look at each cache as quickly or as closely as you want. Bookmark the ones you wish to add to your custom map.

Finally, go back to your bookmarks page and click "Create Pocket Query" next to the bookmark list you created. This will create a pocket query of just the caches in your list, which can be viewed on Google maps, or emailed to you in GPX format for upload to your GPS unit.

Hope that helps,

--Susan

Yay! Thanks. I told the husband he could get his stupid laptop if I could get a premium membership to Groundspeak (which incidentally costs significantly less than his lousy computer) and here, three months later I'm still membershipless. I shall have to rectify that (it's complicated) this evening.