Reading and reading and reading and my brain is boggled

n00b here and very glad I had not asked this question when I was searching for a unit.

I am a techy but my hubby is not, when searching for a unit for the two of us to use, my main concern was for him to be able to use it. I decided on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, as it had everything that I was looking for in a unit...

ease of use

usb

electrinic compass

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000

Routes: 50

Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

sd card - for future use

and price

which I am sure if you have done your homework and it sounds like you have, you already know this information. We, like you, just wanted to get out there and find some cache. We both are able to use the legend and enjoy it. Like otheres before this post have commented on, it is quick and accurate. I personally have not used a Delorme so cannot comment about it.

Happy mothers day (tomorrow) :rolleyes:

VERY HAPPY GARMIN ETREX LEGEND HCX owner

Just want to point out that the PN-20 has almost all of this as well (I don't think it has the electronic compass, but could be mistaken), but for a better price! PLUS, it allows for paperless caching as a bonus (right out of the box), it does auto-routing as a bonus (included in the box) and you can subscribe to the maps and load aerial imagery (a $30/year fee).

ETA: Logansackett, not sure if the TOPO 8 software will update the maps or not, but it is becoming available!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I have two legends - old blue and new HC and a PN-20. The 20 is with me constantly and FYI with the new Topo 8 canada&mexico will be covered with a free upgrade. I love the paperless feature and would note the only negative I have found is short battery life compared to my garmins but I went with the travel pack (still put whole package under $200) and is now a non issue. I found the PN-20 way easier to use than my garmins. I bought the 20 to see if I would like it enough to send back and get a PN-40 but found no need to upgrade as my 20 is evrything I wanted and much more.

However, the starting simplicity is more important than the ability to do more because I have spent so much time messing with this one that hubby bought and I am so beyond frustrated - I just want to GO already!

Don't get a DeLorme then. I beg to disagree Rockin Roddy.

If you can swing it, get the Garmin Oregon 400t on sale at REI for $400- $50 rebate = $350 thru May 10.

Well, if starting simplicity is of a high priority, check this:

Ok, I have had my Colorado for almost a week. It took forever to figure out how to load the map program but we did. It is registered. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to load my pocket queary into the stupid thing. I have GSAK, but it doesn't list a Colorado as one of the options to export to. I am so frustrated. This was supposed to make everything easier. Can someone please give me some help other than what is listed on the Garmin website (and also linked here) because that doesn't work.....

I just want to geocache, and I can't...so frustrated.

Then take the Colorado off the table and anything of similar design.

Then take the Colorado off the table and anything of similar design.

All you need to is drag the PQ onto the unit.

If you want a higher level of control over what caches get sent, GSAK is the best option. Older versions of GSAk will not list Colorado as an option. If they are not willing to upgrade GSAK, they can still use GSAK to generate a GPX file which they can then still drag to the unit.

edit:I should say that considering the units <$200, the PN-20 looks like a great choice for the price. BUT please try one before you do... I had the chance to play with one recently. They are really very slow. The map refresh times are abysmal and the routing takes FOREVER. You'll be relegated to using a simple "follow the arrow" most of the time as it's painful to use otherwise. Wait to see what the upcoming PN-30 can do, otherwise if you really do want all the "bonuses" of the map availability and paperless caching, try the PN-40...which is now >$200.

Edited by Maingray
...considering the units <$200, the PN-20 looks like a great choice for the price. BUT please try one before you do... I had the chance to play with one recently. They are really very slow...
Maingray, this is a point I was trying to make to a certain PN-40 user, who has never owned a PN-20 but still insisted it was "perfect" for the OP. For Roddy and anyone else who wants to recommend a -20 based on their favorable impression of the -40, I'd direct them to this thread on DeLorme's own boards, from people who have used and considered both:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18700

Now, if Stella would just tell us what she got for Mother's Day, we could stop flogging this deceased equine :blink:

Edited by lee_rimar
...considering the units <$200, the PN-20 looks like a great choice for the price. BUT please try one before you do... I had the chance to play with one recently. They are really very slow...
Maingray, this is a point I was trying to make to a certain PN-40 user, who has never owned a PN-20 but still insisted it was "perfect" for the OP. For Roddy and anyone else who wants to recommend a -20 based on their favorable impression of the -40, I'd direct them to this thread on DeLorme's own boards, from people who have used and considered both:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18700

Now, if Stella would just tell us what she got for Mother's Day, we could stop flogging this deceased equine :blink:

I believe the OP stated she needed it for hiking and caching...both are perfect for the PN-20 as has been attested by MANY PN-20 users who have stated just that in these forums...I merely passed on what I heard and my own personal experiences with my PN-40. As described for usage by the OP, I STILL say the PN-20 is perfect for her, even though some think it's slow. Remember, we are recommending for another user and not ourselves, right Lee? Many have stated they cannot outwalk the PN-20...do you know differently that might change my mind? Or do you know the OP has different needs than stated?

...the OP stated she needed it for hiking and caching...
Yes, and that she wants simplicity overall and has $200 to spend. It's also implied that she also wants the best unit she can get for that amount of money.

Several Garmin eTrex models in her price range fit that description better than the PN-20. I think that might have been mentioned in this thread a few times by people who have actually owned the models under discussion :blink:

Edited by lee_rimar
...the OP stated she needed it for hiking and caching...
Yes, and that she wants simplicity overall and has $200 to spend. It's also implied that she also wants the best unit she can get for that amount of money.

Several Garmin eTrex models in her price range fit that description better than the PN-20. I think that might have been mentioned in this thread a few times by people who have actually owned the models under discussion :blink:

Seems you're still forgetting that the OP also noted a desire for advanced features as she learns?? I see you're still believing I need to use the PN-20 to be able to suggest it? I see a few ACTUAL USERS (since you seem this is a requirement in order to recommend) have stated how simple to use the PN-20 is...will those be better than just my thoughts on this??

As you stated...she wants the BEST UNIT for the money....seems it'll be very hard to beat the PN-20! I wish the HCXs could do as much as the PNs can, but they simply cannot, this is fact...I know this since I have OWNED ONE!!! It's also fact that many first time buyers find the PN series easy to use as noted by the many posts to this end....ooops, I know Lee will now get caught up on this statement, so let me finish my thought...as noted by many posts to this end both HERE and in OTHER threads!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I'd recommend a Garmin eTrex Legend HCX.

It's a close thing - which is probably why every discussion like this devolves to "Garmin vs DeLorme." Either unit would do equally well on basic GPS functions (where am I? where is my destination?). Both meet her need for simplicity.

It's really odd Lee, how you say it fits her needs for simplicity here and state that the PN isn't advanced enough and now you're saying it isn't simpe enough? Which is it??

Roddy, I know there have been a lot of posts here but you seem to have lost track completely. It's been gone over pretty thoroughly in this thread -- instead of me rehashing, why don't you go read it all again? I'll capsulize my opinion (again) as quickly as I can, but the details have been spelled out by me and others here already:

• The DeLorme PN-40 is a great GPS but it's out of her price range.
  • The PN-20 is well BELOW her price range but it's not nearly as a good the PN-40 (internally it's quite different).
  • AT her price point, several Garmin eTrex H series units are better in a lot of ways (more sensitive, more accurate, faster, brighter screens, longer battery life, etc).

That's all been posted before, and that's as much rehashing than I feel like doing this evening. After you've re-read this whole thread, if you can come up with something new, maybe you could start a new thread for it?

Really, I'm really more interested if Stella got her GPS yet, and what she chose.

I still haven't bought anything! It has been raining a lot, which really dampened my desire to get out, but I intend to make a decision in the very near future. I do appreciate all the input, and I'll end the suspense when I actually purchase something!

Good luck and I hope you're happy with whatever you buy. That's MY goal, to give you as much info as possible so you can make an informed decision. I know it's difficult to do this when many post I wouldn't buy this or that without giving info on why other than it's tricky or whatever, but maybe you can get your choices narrowed down and then go to a local store and check them out...or an event and see them working in the field?? Either unit (and maybe one or two more...but very few at most) will do good for you, so your choice will mostly hinge on what advanced features will you want in the future! Whatever you do, take any info you find in this thread with a grain of salt since some info isn't truthful or is misleading. For example, someone said the PN isn't as accurate...maybe you'd be better hearing from an owner who is likely to tell you differently (and maybe you already know that accuracy will be pretty much the same for many units as has been talked about many times in these forums). This goes for my info as well, take it as opinion and research the info for yourself to best answer your questions!!

If you have specific questions about ease of use on either unit, you have a few owners from each camp posting in here, email them personally and ask them. This will give you an owner and user's perspective and not just opinion as I and others are throwing out! Remember that some of those suggesting againt the PN have never owned one, or have used/owned an outdated unit (in other words, updates which may have been made recently). Remember also that the HCX is about as updated as it will get compared to the PN series since the PNs are a newer breed and therefore will likely be improved upon (as if they can make them better than they great unit they already are???). And, remember that the PNs are new tech as opposed to the HCX...this might or might not be a good thing! I would caution too, it seems a new unit, the PN-30 is coming out soon, so the future of the PN-20 has been questioned by those not in the know (speculation more than anything else).

Last, for unbiased info, check out amazon.com and read the descriptions of any unit you're still interested in. There's a LOT of good info in there!

I finally bought something, and it arrived today! Wooohoooo! In time for Father's Day at least. I never said I was fast.

I bought a Garmin etrex VistaCx and it is great so far. Of course, I haven't actually *done* anything with it besides turn it on and put in my house and walk to the road and follow the path back to my house (maybe .5 mile) but that was a pleasure. I'm manual reading and seeing what I can do now, and am very happy to have finally made a decision and purchased something, and I think I'm going to be very happy with my choice.

Thanks all for the detailed pros and cons, you were all very helpful.

Congrats on the purchase Stella the Vista Cx is an absolute awesome GPSr! :)

..coincidentally that's the one I geocache with too :D But besides for that lol, it really is a great machine. Excellent performance and great battery life.

If you decide to get road maps for it, it's capable of auto-routing & does it quite well too!

Best of luck with the Vista Stella & happy caching :D