Ask the Reviewer

Fish Eagle

I've opened this thread after seeing a positive community reaction to similar threads opened by overseas reviewers.

Feel free to ask or debate anything geocaching related here, and I'll answer and contribute wherever I can.

I have an ulterior motive - which is to stimulate discussion aimed at improving the South African geocaching experience for all of us wherever possible. The big 2010 is also looming, and we can expect many geo-visitors. It's time to think about doing what we can to showcase our beautiful country in the best way we know - which is with brilliant geocaches!! :D

I'm not going to kick off with any specific subject - let's see how it goes, but when I see this thread drying up, I'll put a new topic on the table for discussion.

Hi there,

We have a new cahe here in the Western Cape: Namaqua Wreck Cache by Bug Seekers (GC1QXKQ)

Map Source tells us that it is near Hondeklipbaai.

The last time we looked at a map that was in the Northern Cape. Have things changed so much since the Elections? :D:P

Hi there,

We have a new cahe here in the Western Cape: Namaqua Wreck Cache by Bug Seekers (GC1QXKQ)

The last time we looked at a map that was in the Northern Cape. Have things changed so much since the Elections? :D:D

Sarcastic comment deleted :D

Fixed

Thanks Visarend! :D

Ok, please help me out on this one - taking all your points into consideration. (Hierdie gaan 'n lang storie wees, vir die wat haastig is....)

How would I set up the following:

My main aim would be to get a system going whereby the "aspirant skatjagter" would know beforehand if he/she will be entering a "risk area" relating to possible hi-jacking or crime. In other words, a cacher would arrive prepared.

With this in mind, and to actually implement possible risk area as a measure, I would like to start a "Those who Dare" series, asking cachers to plant mini-cahes (those that fit into a film container) or, alternatively and the better option I think, set up earth caches, requiring a photograph of the "cache".

The location then of each and every cache is this series should be of a soccerfield somewhere in SA.

The stadions should not be restricted to one cacher only, but could be devided into four or more cachers, eg, north-, south-,east- and west-entrance etc.

The majority of these caches should be targeted as beiing the undevelpoded soccerfields within townships (poor areas), so that possible sponsors could locate and visit them easily.

If Geocaching SA could (if a lot of cachers participate) market this series as a tourism attraction I think?

Wat dink jy Arend?

Dan wil ek ook graag 'n "Help-my-trappie" skat begin. Een wat beweeg. Soos 'n coin of een van daai spinnekop goedjies, maar nie in 'n doos elke keer nie. As ek dit vind gaan steek ek dit weg op 'n ander, nuwe plek. Die volgende ou wat dit vind moet dit vat en weer op 'n nuwe plek wegsteek ... en so moel ons aan. Elke ou moet net as hy sy "FTF" log, die nuwe koordinate ook gee ....

Wat dink jy? Moontlik?

Groetnis

Sakkie

ns, ek sukkel om te slaap van te veel koffie. Raad cincol? :D

Edited by Tusk O'2

Hi there,

The last time we looked at a map that was in the Northern Cape. Have things changed so much since the Elections? :D:D

Sarcastic comment deleted :D

Fixed

This was quite funny.

When I saw C&C's comment about maps changing, some zany and bizarre thoughts flew through my head, but I managed to stop them before they got to my keyboard. :huh:

I'd always believed that mapping was a fairly exact science. I've found out recently that it's not.....

As an example, take a look at the boundaries of Addo Elephant Park north of Port Elizabeth as shown by Google maps, Mapsource and SANParks map

Hi Tusk O'2,

Where's my coffee?

I'll try to answer your questions one by one as best as I can.....

My main aim would be to get a system going whereby the "aspirant skatjagter" would know beforehand if he/she will be entering a "risk area" relating to possible hi-jacking or crime. In other words, a cacher would arrive prepared.
I see two ways of letting cachers know that it could be a dangerous area - (1) by saying so in the cache listing, or (2) by adding the skull and crossbones attribute icon. However, I'm confused here - the incidents of mugging, etc that I've heard about have happened at the most unlikely locations, and some caches placed in "suspect" areas have survived for years without incident. I doubt if anyone intentionally exposes themselves to known crime risks, so saying something about it probably won't make the cache very popular - like saying "it's hidden in the city garbage dump - enjoy!!". :D

With this in mind, and to actually implement possible risk area as a measure, I would like to start a "Those who Dare" series, asking cachers to plant mini-cahes (those that fit into a film container) or, alternatively and the better option I think, set up earth caches, requiring a photograph of the "cache".

The location then of each and every cache is this series should be of a soccerfield somewhere in SA.

The stadions should not be restricted to one cacher only, but could be devided into four or more cachers, eg, north-, south-,east- and west-entrance etc.

The majority of these caches should be targeted as beiing the undevelpoded soccerfields within townships (poor areas), so that possible sponsors could locate and visit them easily.

If Geocaching SA could (if a lot of cachers participate) market this series as a tourism attraction I think?

Sure, one could hide caches at soccerfields, and the number of caches at a single location would be limited by the saturation guideline which says that caches should be at least 160m apart, and that a series of caches close together could be considered a "power trail". However, your idea reeks of agenda, but that would depend on how it's presented on the actual cache pages. Even good agendas are agendas, and not allowed - solicitation guideline

There used to be two caches in Soweto which were recently archived - GC179N6 and GC179N4. They were active for a year and a half, and were never found - sad! :D

I'd be interested to hear comment from the community on this subject.

Need some more coffee.... :D

Dan wil ek ook graag 'n "Help-my-trappie" skat begin. Een wat beweeg. Soos 'n coin of een van daai spinnekop goedjies, maar nie in 'n doos elke keer nie. As ek dit vind gaan steek ek dit weg op 'n ander, nuwe plek. Die volgende ou wat dit vind moet dit vat en weer op 'n nuwe plek wegsteek ... en so moel ons aan. Elke ou moet net as hy sy "FTF" log, die nuwe koordinate ook gee ..

Moving caches were allowed years ago but they created too many proximity problems with other caches, so Groundspeak put the lid on new moving cache submissions (about 2005). The existing ones were "grandfathered", and there are still a few active ones around, but none in SA.

I had a similar question a while ago, and did some research amongst the international reviewer community of what "moving" options are viable. Here's my response to that query -

1. Make it a mystery cache, and put the cache's co-ords on a TB. You'll have to ask that the TB doesn't leave the area (maybe the province), and it does have some frailness if the TB goes outside that area (add 2 stars for difficulty - LOL), but it should come back if it's got something attached to say where it should stay. Most reviewers thought this was the best way.

2. A virtual waypoint that moves is OK, but difficult in practice. It's OK to get a clue from (eg) a bus that passes a specific location every day, or something like that. But, such virtual moving opportunities are either very predictable or very unpredictable, so I don't know if that'll work...?

3. An idea one of the reviewers in the USA's working on for his own multi-cache cache. I don't want to give away the detail of his plan, but in a nutshell it consisted of a "device" which could be left by the previous finder showing either an easy or difficult clue. The final of the multi would be nearby, so if set to easy, then it would be a quick find. If set to difficult, then the finder would have to plough through several tough multi waypoints to get back to the nearby cache location. In the final cache would be the "wherewithall" to reset the device for the next cacher - sort of "do you love 'em or hate 'em"...

We have a semi moving cache - this one can be rehidden by finders within 10m of the listed co-ords. When this was reviewed it was marginal, but published on the basis that 10m could be an acceptable GPS error.

Sorry, these are probably not quite the answers you were looking for, but don't stop being creative. Most great ideas only came after some that didn't work out... :D

Edited by Fish Eagle

There used to be two caches in Soweto which were recently archived - GC179N6 and GC179N4. They were active for a year and a half, and were never found - sad! :D

I'd be interested to hear comment from the community on this subject.

As far as I remember - the Soweto caches were possibly muggled as Nish4 in particular went a few times to look for them.

I had them on my to do list - but just never got the opportuntity to get that part of town.

I agree that many of the nasty incidents have happened in normal suburban parks - the Emmerentia Botanical Gardens being a big culprit.

Reading the local rag - nearby Victory Park seems fairly bad hotspot at times - but I do not recall a caching related incident there - perhaps I'm wrong?

Sorry, these are probably not quite the answers you were looking for, but don't stop being creative. Most great ideas only came after some that didn't work out...

Sorry, these are probably not quite the answers you were looking for, but don't stop being creative. Most great ideas only came after some that didn't work out...

Thanx Eagle! :-))

Beste antwoorde!

I'll have some more coffee....

Let's say for arguments sake, in respect of a moving cache:

The cache owner creates a virtual user on GC.com, and have a cache published under that username, and leaves the GC.com password in the box.

The finder then moves the cache "within GC.com limits", and change the co-ordinates on the cache page.

Could this work?

(Nice cup of Rooibos coming up!)

Edited by Jors

The cache owner creates a virtual user on GC.com, and have a cache published under that username, and leaves the GC.com password in the box.

The finder then moves the cache "within GC.com limits", and change the co-ordinates on the cache page.

Could this work?

Wow, an interesting question which I can't answer, but I'll find out what the international reviewer community thinks...

Sjoe! Jors make plan! That could nogals work out well. And then if we have a couple of those running, we can build a new "afkorting".

The FTU? (First to "unite" two running "Help-my-trappies") Gold will go to the strategic planner would could untite 7 Hmt's.

"I love it when a plan get's planned!"

I'll stick with the Boeretroos, pitch-black and very sweet.

Ja-nee - dit lyk my daardie Laager [of is dit Freshpak of dalk 11 O'Clock] brousel het die verskil gemaak!! :P Sakkie - gooi 'n bietjie Klippies saam met die boeretroos - dalk help dit vir die slaaploosheid??

I think that is a fantastic idea. As soon as it gets the thumb's-up - guess what? :(

Could this work?

Wow, an interesting question which I can't answer, but I'll find out what the international reviewer community thinks...

OK, I've had several responses from my fellow reviewers.

Unanimously, they feel it's a no-no, for a variety of reasons, and I must agree. What was especially evident was the intensity of the responses of the older reviewers who had to deal with moving cache problems when they were still allowed. From what I understand, they were a nightmare, and there were continual issues - that's why Groundspeak put an end to them. Been there, done that, didn't work, dead and buried.

Here's some of the issues mentioned -

It could be a site Terms of Use infringement. The ToU says "Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity."

How can the owner effectively maintain a cache that he doesn't know where it is.

Imagine the frustration when player A finds the cache, and moves it. Shortly thereafter, player B who's travelled 100kms to do the cache, arrives and can't find it.....

Somebody could create a throwaway e-mail account, change the cache owner's account's e-mail address to that, change the password to "fjgkljkldfjgkj", and walk away. Game over.

Someone finds the cache and moves it to 5m away from another cache (eg the final of a mystery or multi) or even a traditional that they didn't know about - resulting in a serious proximity problem.

The guideline for physical cache placements says "You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS."

But the bottom line is that Groundspeak don't want moving caches, and any perceived method of wangling it around the guidelines would be in direct conflict with their wishes.

So, sadly the answer must be "no" to that plan. :P

Hi Andy

I am wanting guidance on rating puzzle caches.

I did read this

The problem with puzzle caches is that there are two issues wiyh regard to their difficulty:

The difficulty of the puzzle

How difficult it is to find the physical cache.

Do you factor the difficulty of the puzzle into the rating or is it purely the physical difficuly of finding the container?

Hi Andy

I am wanting guidance on rating puzzle caches.

I did read this

The problem with puzzle caches is that there are two issues wiyh regard to their difficulty:

The difficulty of the puzzle

How difficult it is to find the physical cache.

Do you factor the difficulty of the puzzle into the rating or is it purely the physical difficuly of finding the container?

Good question.

I've never seen anything definitive about this.

As you mentioned, a mystery cache has two distinct aspects, being the puzzle and the hide. These are often tackled at different times - eg, the puzzle at home, and the hunt out in the field. My opinion is that you should rate the difficulty as the higher of the two, but give a short explanatory note in your listing about whether the rating applies to the puzzle, the hide, or both.

Time to BUMP this thread......

Topic on the table: Hints on Cache Pages - the good, the bad, and the ugly. :lol:

There are no specific guidelines about hints, so I don't hold up publication if I see something off'ish.

Sometimes, I'll post a note giving advice if it really doesn't look right, but not often.

Please share your opinions.

I mostly treat the hint as part of the cache information - I print the page out with the hint decrypted, and read it before I even set off. This is mostly because I've searched for a number of caches where the hint was vital for finding it.

Sometimes this takes away the challenge, but then again, if I'm in the mood for a challenge, I go searching for a cache using ONLY the coordinates - not even knowing the cache size! [:lol:]

Most of the time I prefer finding a cache the first time I visit it (!), so I like hints which indicates the area I must search in, without pinpointing the location.

I must admit - I'm quite trigger happy when it comes to decrypting hints. I'm quite useless at finding things sometimes. If a hider is hiding a sneaky hide, their hints tend to be sneaky as well, so it does not give away much. If the hide is more about the location, then the hints are more direct, and that just suits me fine. I am happy with hints just as they are.

I used a variation on a cache of mine by providing hints that can only be decrypted manually (ie without using the gc encryption facility) to give slackers like me a little bit of work before reading the hint. I did not want finders to go to all the trouble of getting to GZ without finding the cache, but did not want to hand it to them on a plate.

I try not to give a hint till FTF has found it.

If I do a lot of research and write a long listing, to try to prevent it from being ignored, I will use the hint to get you to read the listing. You can even make a mini puzzle out of it.

If I have put the cachers through a substantial walk or a lot of work, I give a very detailed hint.

If the hide is a "needle in a haystack" (like a micro in a rock wall) I will also give a detailed hint. I work on the principle that if I leave a long hint people will decrypt it at home rather than in the field.

I often read hints before I leave home, I quite often make a conscious decision not to look at the hint.

I HATE the "what, you want a hint?" type of hints. Rather leave it blank. Hints that are too clever just make me fell stupid and reduce the enjoyment.

A hint can mean the difference between a difficulty 1 and difficulty 5 on some caches.

The ultimate hint is a spoiler, which I have only used once as it was a hectic hide, a micro in a massive rock wall with millions of hidey holes. Not one DNF to date...

I generally read the hint - but prefer those cryptic hints like "Go nuts looking for this one" - or "Barking up the wrong tree"

If I need a real spoiler - I prefer those caches with photos - then I only look at the spoiler pic if really stuck.

Helps having a Blackberry on site so that the frustration can be reduced after a 30min hunt.

Saves having to return (reduced Carbon footprint)

If I need a real spoiler - I prefer those caches with photos - then I only look at the spoiler pic if really stuck.

Spoiler pics have left me stranded on at least two occasions. I cache paperless with a Palm PDA, so do not have access to pictures on site, unless I come prepared with a print-out.

I try to search for the cache without looking at the hint/spoiler.

If as the DamhuisClan are really stuck then I will look the hint on my GPS

I download the GC Code and hint to the Notes field on my Garmin. Usually it comes out with the first 20 characters of the hint. Such as "GCxxxxx-Behind the up".

Mostly this is enough tp then locate it. If that still does not help then look at the HTML export on the phone. And if that does not help, then PAF.

To me it feels like more of a *find* by not using the hint.

Usualy if we cache with other teams, and to allow everyone an equal footing, we look at the hint.

I have a question for every one why dose every one want a cup of coffee or tea.

Soon my dad will be asking for a cup of tea.

Ding bat

hello Ding bat

In my experience, Reviewers often need a strong cup of tea or coffee, or some sort of strong drink, to help them with their work :huh:. Here in Wales we usually drink tea, but I wonder what Fish Eagle likes?

MrsB

I have a question for every one why dose every one want a cup of coffee or tea.

Soon my dad will be asking for a cup of tea.

Ding bat

hello Ding bat

In my experience, Reviewers often need a strong cup of tea or coffee, or some sort of strong drink, to help them with their work :huh:. Here in Wales we usually drink tea, but I wonder what Fish Eagle likes?

MrsB

I'm a coffee lover, and in the morning I'm like a car with a flat battery until I've had two cups of lekker strong coffee.

Tea - nah, not for me thanks.....

I used to enjoy tea many years ago, but that was all we were allowed at work, so I guess it was out of necessity rather than choice. :anitongue:

Andy, what are your views on proximity issues?

When may you allow a cache to be too close to another?

I rarely allow exceptions to the proximity guideline, but there are times that I might:

- If it's only a little bit too close, say up to 10-15m, and the two caches have different focal points. If they're just two similar caches giving the same view, then I won't make an exception. I'm especially strict if both caches are by the same owner, then there's no excuse for them being too close, and two nearby focal points are good material for a multi-cache.

- If there's a substantial elevation difference between the two caches. As an example 130m apart, and 40m elevation difference. I'll probably allow that, but again, the caches should have different focal points.

- If there's an impassable barrier between the caches - like a river without a nearby bridge, an unclimbable cliff, etc.

- There could be other circumstances that warrant an exception, and I deal with those cases on merit as they arise.

- And of course, a substantial bribe is very hard to resist... :huh:

I have a reasonable amount of freedom, but as with any rule, if one starts making too many exceptions, then the exception becomes the rule, and then even greater exceptions are expected.

The proximity guideline can work both ways. Because your cache is 161m or more for the next cache, doesn't automatically mean it's OK. An example is a power trail - if you hide 5 caches every 200m along a trail, I won't publish them. You'll either need to make it into a single multi-cache, or remove every second cache so that there's space for someone else to place a cache in between.

Hope this helps. If you have a question about a specific location or plan, feel free to ask, either here or by email.

Have there ever been attempts in SA to form a power trail? I can't say I've seen anything that resembels an "obvious" power trail.

Nothing yet that I've seen in SA, but it's a frequent occurance in the cache-dense regions of Europe and the USA, especially where the local cachers are numbers-centric, and a lot of easy smileys are far more desirable than one multi. One of the reasons for the powertrail guideline is to avoid domination of a specific area by one cache hider. In a sense, we do have that in a small way in a few places in SA, but when there's little competition for cache locations, that's not a big issue. I think that powertrails go hand-in-glove with a high cache density, and a numbers-hungry culture - fortunately neither occurs in SA to any real extent. :)

:) Sir, You are a Diplomat and a Gentleman! B)

But that I am sure is the nature of a reviewer. As recently experienced you need to deal with over eager cachers that think they are the best, that their ideas are soo good that the rules must bend. Respect!

Thank you for all the help so far Andy.

:o Sir, You are a Diplomat and a Gentleman! :laughing:

But that I am sure is the nature of a reviewer. As recently experienced you need to deal with over eager cachers that think they are the best, that their ideas are soo good that the rules must bend. Respect!

Thank you for all the help so far Andy.

Thank you very much!! :laughing:

What you're referring to took a bit of work from both sides, but well worth it.

The result is some special caches at a location where I never in my wildest dreams believed that caches would ever be possible.

They're high on my to-do list for when I'm in your area again. :laughing:

Hi Fish Eagle

Is it true that you don’t like caches to be placed at bridges?

Hi Die Pienaars

Yes, and no - I'll try to explain......

The guidelines say

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.
I don't apply the guideline "to the letter of the law" here in Africa, and I try to use common sense, and adapt to local conditions instead.

I won't publish a cache on an overpass or pedestrian bridge directly over highway traffic lanes.

For two reasons - we have a history of people throwing things at cars, and the risk of the cache or contents being dropped onto traffic.

I won't publish a cache on a highway bridge, or very close to a main road, or entailing crossing a busy highway where cachers' actions could be a distraction or danger for motorists.

Rules of thumb:

- If it can distract or interfere with others and create a danger or an issue for them - like motorists, security, train drivers, etc - then it's no.

- If it's at a location where people can normally be expected to be without raising concerns or disrupting others - then it's normally OK.

If it's dangerous for finders but not for anyone else, then normally OK. If the danger is not obvious, I might insist on a warning in the listing, and if the danger is extreme and not obvious, I might insist on it being listed as a mystery cache with the warning at the top of the listing to ensure that finders read the listing and the warning.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have a specific plan, and would like an opinion, please email me with some info and I'll gladly comment on it.

Hi Andy.

I want to set up a multicache, with "questions to answer" type waypoints. Do these clash , in terms of proximity, with other caches?

There is a cache, I want you to collect clues near it. How do I go about it? :laughing:

Hi Doc,

No problem - the proximity guideline only applies to physical containers that you've placed.

It doesn't apply to "question to answer", "parking", "reference point" waypoints, or earthcaches and grandfathered virtual caches.

However, when creating a multi-cache you can optionally "protect" your virtual location by listing the waypoint as "stage of a multi-cache". That's normally used for a physical container, but can be used for a virtual location if you want to plant your flag there, and stop anyone else putting a physical container within 160m.

Andy - what's the update on the KNP caches?

I recently found some caches in Hluhluwe-Umfolosi and I was wondering how the KNP experience affected those caches - or should one rather let sleeping dogs lie.

KNP - Looking good, but the numzaan that I'm dealing with is very busy, and gc's not on top on his to-do list.

I'm reluctant to nag because I know that he hasn't forgotten about us.

Other parks like Hluhluwe - for now, I think we should let sleeping dogs lie.

Once we've got finality and formality with the KNP, then we can consider whether and how we go forward, with a very powerful reference and precedent as a resource .....

I believe we are fortunate to have a reviewer like we have.

Being new in this game and hiding my first caches this past week, I was amazed at the speed they were reviewed. On all three counts after pressing the submit button, not ten minutes had passed before receiving a response from Andy. Wow!

Andy, can you give us some insight how you manage that?

Thanks Jors, but I must laugh at what you said.....

Being new in this game
Coming from the guy who wrote the very first found log for the very first cache in SA, that's quite funny!! :unsure:

But it's taken 8 years and 4 months to fulfil your promise in that log about hiding a cache - phew!!

Keep 'em coming - I hope you're enjoying your new hides!!

Andy, can you give us some insight how you manage that?
Sure, I've got an assistant......

2da902b4-bda5-4e82-adc0-4bc933eb23bb.jpg

Red Headed weavers seem to be multi talented! LOL! :ph34r: ..........

But seriously.....

How are you so quick?

How do you get time to cache with all the admin going on?

Also, do you enjoy it?.....do you see burn out on the horizon.....? :o

But seriously.....

How are you so quick?

Also, do you enjoy it?.....do you see burn out on the horizon.....?

Answer to Question 1: it's all in the training

Answer to Question 2: the day has 24 hours, that leaves at least 1 for geocaching

Answer to Question 3: he has to, or his pay is docked

Answer to Question 4: not allowed - he's enslaved for life. :ph34r:

~erik~

Answer to Question 2: the day has 24 hours, that leaves at least 1 for geocaching

Answer to Question 4: not allowed - he's enslaved for life. :o

:):ph34r::laughing:

Andy, what's GS's attitude towards "armchair caches", i.e. ones you can log without physically visiting the cache? In particular virtual caches: with the Google Maps Street View it's now possible to virtually visit some virtual caches and get the answers to the questions. In fact, last night I "walked" part of a multi-cache situated 200km away.

Personally, I won't log a cache I haven't physically visited, but what's the future of these virtual caches which can be found in this way?

Andy, what's GS's attitude towards "armchair caches", i.e. ones you can log without physically visiting the cache? In particular virtual caches: with the Google Maps Street View it's now possible to virtually visit some virtual caches and get the answers to the questions. In fact, last night I "walked" part of a multi-cache situated 200km away.

Personally, I won't log a cache I haven't physically visited, but what's the future of these virtual caches which can be found in this way?

Oh Boy!! That's an awkward question, especially because I logged some of them years ago and got into trouble with the community.... :ph34r::o

Groundspeak's viewpoint is embodied in the virtual cache guideline which says "The seeker must answer a question from the landmark and verify to the cache owner that he was physically at the location." That means that anyone logging it who hasn't visited the location should have their found log deleted by the cache owner as a responsibility of the cache maintenance guideline which says "The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements."

As with any other cache type, a cache that originally complied with the guidelines at the time it was reviewed, can be changed with time, and end up violating the guidelines later. A common occurance in the rest of Africa is traditional caches being converted to virtual (log with a photo) when they get muggled. I don't actively seek out violations, but should one be reported, it will be re-reviewed, and if it doesn't comply with the guidelines in effect at the time of publishing, it will be summarily archived.

Some armchair caches are inane and very easy, others are mega 5/0 star challenges which equal or surpass the most difficult physical caches for effort, frustration, and feeling of accomplishment once solved. There are some very serious puzzles!!

My advice is - enjoy them if you want to, and log your accomplishment, but write a "note" instead of a "found" log to respect Groundspeak's wishes.

And thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to change my dozen or so armchair logs to "notes" but I keep forgetting, so I'll do that now. :)

But seriously.....

How are you so quick?

Also, do you enjoy it?.....do you see burn out on the horizon.....?

Answer to Question 4: not allowed - he's enslaved for life. :)

~erik~

The red-headed weaver sometimes whines about being overworked, and my new apprentice is not up to speed yet.

I battle to keep her focused - maybe it's a "girl" thing....? :ph34r:

c6d1f25d-0326-4de3-9c4c-f7a920fd3b0b.jpg

Here's where I normally do my reviewing - one of the fringe benefits. :laughing:

0f482c5a-4d4d-43c0-b8a6-52c1c2fce35e.jpg

But I guess you were looking for a more serious answer....

Question 1 - as ~erik~ said (what a great mentor!!).

I'm permanently connected, and if I'm near my computer, I'll have a quick look every half hour or so.

But it's the luck of the draw, like your new cache that I saw late last night, but only published at about 8am this morning.

I normally don't review after "sundowners" :huh:

And if we're away from home, then I'll only have a look in the morning and evening.

Question 2 - 1 hour a day's enough.

The Fish Eagles' have managed to hide 3 caches in the last 2 weeks, which is more than most. I think only hennieventer's hidden more in that time. As far as finding them - well, MPU's quiet now, and we don't have many to hunt, but we got a find last weekend!! Once a month or so, we go out and klap them, but we look forward to trips away from home when we hunt 'em with a passion. On the cards soon - northern & central KZN, and East London area - whoop, whoop!! :D

And, of course, we can find 30 or 40 in our allotted 1 hour!! :laughing:

Question 3 - Yep, I enjoy it a lot, despite my pay being docked. :o

Occasionally, it's tedious or awkward, but that's the exception.

Normally, I get a "warm and furry" from reviewing, and enjoy bookmarking interesting caches for the player persona to hunt when we next visit that area.

Which caches? If I told you, I'd have to kill you, so I won't......

Question 4 - Burn out? What's that?