Rechargeable AA Battery Recommendations?

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I tried searching but didn't turn up any useful answers.

I've been looking into getting some good rechargeable AA batteries for use with my Oregon 400t and I was wondering if anyone here could share your experience with specific brands, types, etc. It seems that there are as many types of rechargeables as there are geocaches. I've already done some research and determined that there are no Lithium-Ion AA batteries, but my experience with NiMH in the past hasn't been great. I've also heard that the charger can make a difference in how well the batteries last, both in the device as well as how many charges they can handle over their life.

What batteries/chargers do you use? Any to stay away from?

I would recommend the new kind of NiMH batteries. The Low Self Discharge ones. Sanyo Eneloop or GP ReCyKo for instance.

They have a slightly lower capacity compared to normal NiMH batteries, but as their name suggests they hardly drain when not in use. As such, your GPS is always ready for use as well as the set of spare batteries even if it has been on the shelve for a while.

I've heard good things about the eneloops, as above.

I have very good experience with Rayovac Hybrid.

My expereince with energizer rechargables was not so good.

I use a MaHa charger, it came with a 12v cord and a wall wart.

But I use it almost exclusivly in my car.

Where the power connector is soldered to the circuit board the solder joint cracked, but a quick touch of the iron took care of it perfectly.

PP4x4

Todd, I may be able to provide some help! I have been a digital camera user for years and my equipment all uses AA rechargeable batteries. I plan to use this stuff in my new Garmin GPS, as soon as I decide on a model (looking at a new Oregon 400t). I have learned on this forum that these new GPS devices are very power hungry so some good rechargeables are a must.

You may wish to surf over to the following site, while it is written for the digi-cam user but the same issues apply to battery-hungry GPS devices:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

There is a link on that page to a company that many digi-cam users shop at, I use their stuff and have had great luck with them. Their customer service is great, the company name is Thomas Distributing. Go here:

http://thomasdistributing.com/

I use the highly-regarded MAHA charger and the also well thought of POWEREX batteries.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Eneloops work good especially if you tend not to use your unit for long periods of time and you want the batteries to hold a charge. But if you are looking for longest battery life possible go with PowerEx (Maha) 2700mAh batteries and the Maha MH-C9000 or LaCrosse BC-900.

do not overthink it. I bought a set and a charger at Sams Club for @ $28. Came with 8 Energizer AA batteries and 4 AAA batteries. They work like champs. Keep it simple. brand means very little in the battery world. I do not mean buy anything, but do not let it consume you.

I have made a complete change to the low-discharge/hybrid type batteries. I am using Rayovac and Kodak brands because they were low cost. Especially in my digital cameras, I can pick one up after several weeks, and a few uses and still have power. My other standard NiMH never could do this. The new ones have low self discharge rate and a better power curve. Some of the brands of low self-discharge in AA size:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

Delkin Power (Low Discharge)

As for chargers, use a smart one that charges each cell independently. I have used for many years the Maha MH-C401FS, which is small and good for car or traveling. I also have the Powerex MH-C9000 which has a bunch of features.

My 2cents:

I bought a Sony 4 unit NiHM AA/AAA battery charger as well as their batteries. They've been fine. I get ~16 hours out of them on the OR 400T (15sec time out and batt sav enabled).

The charger itself has the swing out AC prongs, so it sits right on the wall when charging batteries. The prongs retract for storage or tranportation which is nice. The charger also has a built in timer (7 hours with LED indicator) for optimal battery charging/longevity.

As for battery shelf life in the Oregon, it's not going to be good. Even when the unit is "off" it's not really "off". The CPU goes into a reduced instruction set low power mode, the display and receivers are off as well. I imagine it would only last a week or so...

Good Luck

Edited by SamSpade47

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents on this. My local Meijer has a charger and 4 LSD batteries under the PowerCell name. The batteries are 2100mah and last just as long as my Sanyo Eneloops. The charger itself is just a rebadged Camelion BC-905a charger that charges the cells individually. It's cheap at only $15-20 with 4 LSD batteries and it works great.

Edited by TeamAldridge

I've been using the rayovac NimH hybrid batteries for a while now - they work very well and I like that I can store them and not lose (much) charge over even several weeks.

Ditto! I use the hybrids exclusively in all my digital toys (GPSr, digital camera, etc.) and they hold a charge for what seems like forever. I've had a hard time finding them locally, but they're plentiful on eBay.

Edited by rocketsteve

I picked up a set of Lenmar's with their 90 minute charger (standard 90 min 120vAC charger) when I bought a digital camera in 2006. I've had that set for a long time and have always been pleased with their performance in the camera and in my Legend GPS. I believe they were 2100mAh rated, or 2500mAh.

I also just ordered a 20 battery bulk pack of the Lenmar 2500 mAh NiMH's. I didn't pay the premium for the low discharge since most of my devices eat up the batteries and I'm in a pretty good habit of topping off before leaving on a trip. I paid $38.00 for the back of 20 so it was a pretty good deal.

I've just been using the ones that came with the La Crosse Technology charger.

+1 on that charger. A little chunk of change, but handy. I have rechargeables that were 7 years old! It rejuvenated them and they work great. Some batteries even get a high maH than they are rated for.

Now I always discharge them completely with the charger before i charge them.

I use rayovac hybrids too. I lost faith in their charger after I saw what my batteries were doing with the LaCrosse.

For years I've used Energizer NiMH, but I'll probably be replacing them with another brand soon. The original ones (purchased sometime in 2006) were rated at 2500 mAh and came with a 1-hour charger which could plug into either a wall outlet or a car and would charge batteries individually. Then I bought a few more several months later, and they were 2450. Last year the maximum rating they sold was 2400. When I went to purchase another package last month, I discovered that the rating has been lowered to 2250 (but the price has gone up!). I declined to buy them.

I looked for a replacement charger recently when it burned out, and couldn't find one for sale that didn't require 6 hours charge time, and it could only charge batteries in pairs. I bought one anyway since it was on clearance, but when it goes I'll be switching brands.

Edited by DavidMac

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I tried searching but didn't turn up any useful answers.

I've been looking into getting some good rechargeable AA batteries for use with my Oregon 400t and I was wondering if anyone here could share your experience with specific brands, types, etc. It seems that there are as many types of rechargeables as there are geocaches. I've already done some research and determined that there are no Lithium-Ion AA batteries, but my experience with NiMH in the past hasn't been great. I've also heard that the charger can make a difference in how well the batteries last, both in the device as well as how many charges they can handle over their life.

What batteries/chargers do you use? Any to stay away from?

There is AA lithium batteries available from Energizer. It came with my GPS personal locator called SPOT. I've purchased a few sets and planned on using it on Garmin GPS. I'll post how it turns out after usage.

I just purchased DURACELL rechargeable 2650mAh and I have left the unit on now for 21.5 hours (still have 2 battery lines left). Now I have played with the unit for about 3 hours and have been playing with it on and off on top of that. some times with backlight on high and sometimes low and I also have battery saver on. It was also left on all night. Hope this helps..............