Mac user needs advice, is Oregon 400t mac friendly?

Or should I consider another gps. I have been looking at the PN 40 but saw the sell at REI and thought what the heck I have nothing to lose if it does not work out I will take it back. Any other suggestions for a macbook pro user who wants a good gps unit that will help me map my property in detail(122 acres of woodlands and ridge tops)and also allow excellent caching capabilities?

I guess what I meant to ask was if I buy an Oregon 400t will it come with what I need or will I have to buy some type of mac software in addition to whatever it comes with? I have searched high and low for information that would make sense on the product description but cannot seem to figure this one out. :D

so if I download these programs and then download say, a state map from gpsfiles, then I will be able to open that map program and use it? sorry for the basic questions but it seems a lot has changed since I purchased a legend several years ago and simply loaded the provided disk into the PC. Now that I have Mac I am trying to figure out exactly how to ultilize the 24k state topo maps and what software I need to load in order to do so.

so if I download these programs and then download say, a state map from gpsfiles, then I will be able to open that map program and use it? sorry for the basic questions but it seems a lot has changed since I purchased a legend several years ago and simply loaded the provided disk into the PC. Now that I have Mac I am trying to figure out exactly how to ultilize the 24k state topo maps and what software I need to load in order to do so.

Load My Tracks will enable you to see your tracks in Google Earth...among other options.

Ascent connects to the Internet and shows the map of your location...plus many other bells and whistles.

Load My Tracks is free.

An Ascent demo can be downloaded for free, with the limit of having a max of 10 different routes. The unlimited version is $30 (if my memory serves me correctly...which is not always the case!)

Bottom Line: The Oregon works well with Mac OSX running on an Intel CPU

OK, I successfully downloaded and installed Mapmanager and basecamp off of the above link. I also downloaded and installed the 24k maps from gpsfilesdepot(I think that is right) and thinking I had the right software downloaded to open it I clicked away but nothing is happening. This is after downloading and having successful installations of everything. Am I missing some software?

Alright, I have Mapmanager loaded and successfully installed as well as Tennessee state topo maps from gpsfilesdepot. Anybody know why the mapmanager will not open this file?

OK, I just downloaded that map and installed it fine. If you want to make it work, do the following:

1. the download is a .tgz compressed file. double click it to unarchive it.

2. double click the resulting mti_tn.gmapi file and it will launch MapManager where you can then install the map for use on you computer.

3. open MapInstall to send the map to your GPS.

4. The map doesn't work with BaseCamp as it doesn't contain DEM info, download RoadTrip to manage waypoints, routes and tracks.

You will need a map that contains digital elevation model (DEM) data to use BaseCamp.

Hope this helps.

Alright, I have Mapmanager loaded and successfully installed as well as Tennessee state topo maps from gpsfilesdepot. Anybody know why the mapmanager will not open this file?

OK, I just downloaded that map and installed it fine. If you want to make it work, do the following:

2. double click the resulting mti_tn.gmapi file and it will launch MapManager where you can then install the map for use on you computer.

4. The map doesn't work with BaseCamp as it doesn't contain DEM info, download RoadTrip to manage waypoints, routes and tracks.

You will need a map that contains digital elevation model (DEM) data to use BaseCamp.

Hope this helps.

Coggins,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have done what you stated. Do you have to have the gps plugged into the computer to view these maps? I am unable to launch any viewable program with the computer itself even after successful installations and unarchiving. Is this normal?

Hope this helps.

Coggins,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have done what you stated. Do you have to have the gps plugged into the computer to view these maps? I am unable to launch any viewable program with the computer itself even after successful installations and unarchiving. Is this normal?

You do not need the GPS plugged in to view the maps with RoadTrip, select the Tenn TOPO mapset from the pulldown. You do need the GPS connected to use MapInstall. As stated, the map will not display in BaseCamp.