Does chain go in cache with TB?

DNF Hound

Probably a dumb question, but I'm new to TB's. Just ordered a few. My cache is very small, though, and will probably only fit the TB, not the chain. Is it customary to send the chain along with it, normally? Assuming the cache is big enough. What is typically done with the chain? Thx,

geo

The chain is relatively short and thin, if the TB fits into your cache, chances are the chain will too.

It is customary to attach something to the TB (not required, but it'll make your TB more likely to move). I'd highly recommend adding a laminated card to your TB explaining its mission. Most TBs also have hitchhikers (such as a small toy, coin from the country they want to travel to or whatever), but some have just a card- for example, I have one for each of my twins, and they only have the TB, chain and a laminated card attached to the chain- photo of the twin on one side, mission statement on the other.

The chain is relatively short and thin, if the TB fits into your cache, chances are the chain will too.

It is customary to attach something to the TB (not required, but it'll make your TB more likely to move). I'd highly recommend adding a laminated card to your TB explaining its mission. Most TBs also have hitchhikers (such as a small toy, coin from the country they want to travel to or whatever), but some have just a card- for example, I have one for each of my twins, and they only have the TB, chain and a laminated card attached to the chain- photo of the twin on one side, mission statement on the other.

And they move OK that way, Penguin? I ask because the cache I want to put a TB in is a prescription bottle whose mouth is maybe big enough for the TB but not really an attachment. Even a rabbit's foot would be too fat. But a laminated, bendable card might work. I do have quite a few coins of all nations I could drill a hole in.

Thanks for the Snoogans link, BlueDeuce. It seems that the consensus is I should make my TB ugly so no one keeps it as a souvenir. Does that mean I should scrape up the bug itself so it is disfigured except for the number? Or does only the object it is chained to need to be ugly?

I ask because the cache I want to put a TB in is a prescription bottle whose mouth is maybe big enough for the TB but not really an attachment. Even a rabbit's foot would be too fat. But a laminated, bendable card might work. I do have quite a few coins of all nations I could drill a hole in.

You could also drop it in a different cache which is larger to begin its travels.

It does not have to start in your own cache, unless of course that is what you want to do.

I ask because the cache I want to put a TB in is a prescription bottle whose mouth is maybe big enough for the TB but not really an attachment. Even a rabbit's foot would be too fat. But a laminated, bendable card might work. I do have quite a few coins of all nations I could drill a hole in.

You could also drop it in a different cache which is larger to begin its travels.

It does not have to start in your own cache, unless of course that is what you want to do.

If you want the TB to show starting in your own cache, you could just "dip" it in your cache and drop it in a bigger, more suitable cache afterwards. Dipping means that you log the TB into the cache and then retrieve it back out. The actual, physical TB just "visits" your cache but doesn't actually have to be placed inside it. It will then show as starting in your cache and gain mileage from there forward.

Bruce

I have seen one very tiny TB which was a small coin (about ½inch diameter) drilled and a thin, but pretty strong, chain threaded through to attach the TB tag. This had been cut down so that it was only the tracking number, making the tag roughly 1¼" x ¼".

It was very well done. I saw it before it had been activated/released, so I don't know how well it travelled. Being so small, my concern would be that it could easily get lost.

MrsB

Thanks for the Snoogans link, BlueDeuce. It seems that the consensus is I should make my TB ugly so no one keeps it as a souvenir. Does that mean I should scrape up the bug itself so it is disfigured except for the number? Or does only the object it is chained to need to be ugly?

I don't know if I would go that far! Just don't use something that is so cool that people want to keep it. Keep it simple and sturdy and you'll do fine.

The rule of thumb is - Don't release anything you are not willing to lose.