Legend and maps

Using Mapsource, or other programs, you can dump your tracklog to the computer and then plot onto various mapping programs. Save it off as a gpx file for best compability. Alas, however, S&T requires some computing gymnastics to make that work. Most others accept gpx tracklogs as is. This includes Google Earth.

Using Mapsource, or other programs, you can dump your tracklog to the computer and then plot onto various mapping programs. Save it off as a gpx file for best compability. Alas, however, S&T requires some computing gymnastics to make that work. Most others accept gpx tracklogs as is. This includes Google Earth.

Thanks guys. To tell the truth I don't know if I have the knoledge to do that. I saved the track anyway. What I would like to do is to be able to take the track and put it on a maping program somehow that will show the dirt roads I was on.

Sorry for not getting back till now. I checked the box where it said let me know if there were any responses but I neve got a message. I just thought I would check anyway and say your responces.

If there is anyone that is willing to take me step by step I sure would like to try it.

thanks guys

Did you use Mapsource to save the track as a GPX file? - explain how you saved it....

If it is GPX file - things get real simple. First visit www.googleearth.com and get a (free) copy of the latest version. Once that is installed - simple open the GPX file in Google Earth and it will display it.

Yes, that's right. The mere fact that you have saved a track means than you have already met the challenges of cabling, mapsource, and computer use for this. Good.

Since you have mapsource, if you make sure to save the track as a gpx file, you are enabling the track to be displayed by numerous mapping programs. So, if you happened to have saved the track in the mapsource default, you can always re-open it, and save as... to the gpx format.

Mapsource also has mapping capability if you have purchased or acquired mapsouce-compatible maps. By opening the gpx file you will see a plot of your track on the map.

Many other map programs can display gpx track files as well. I happen to have Delorme Topo, too. Also, as mentioned, Google Earth.

MS Streets and Trips does not display gpx tracks directly. However, you can take the steps recommended above to make it work.

I save and display track gpx files from both an ole blue Legend and a 60Cx, all using mapsource for both capture and display, as well as Delorme, GE, and others for display.

Hold on now. LOL

When I said I saved the trip I ment on the the Legend gps. I have the thing saved and the map on the gps itself. I didn't do anything else. Don't give me to much credit. LOL

I have the cables since I can download all the caches I want at one time. But I never did this. I ride dual sport motorcycles and took a trip on Sunday that I would like to be able to do again. I used the gps to track my trip and saved it to the tracks file on the gps. That's where I am now.

Oh I have the ole Blue Legend

I have Google earth on the computer already. I just went to google earth and updated my google earth to the 2009 version. Sounds like I have the basics just the particulars are the problem now. LOL

First I don't know how to get the route I saved from the Legend to the computer.

Edited by thumbs1

Ok on my way out the door for about an hour or so. Didn't read the link but............

I went to google maps and went to gps then it said download from gps. Didn't do anything yet but am I onto something?

Of course I will read the link when I get back though

Ok downloaded mapsourse. Now I know I have to extract the files using winrar. What I don't understand is how to do it. When I click on mapsourse it wants me to run the program. I don't know how to unpack or extract the contense of the program using winrar.

Use mapsource to upload it from the unit. Save it. Use GPSBabel to convert to a file that S&T can open.

I concur with Starbrand.. But, as many have said, S&T doesn't usually like data from other sources..

I use EasyGPS for uploading/downloading from GPSr's, mainly because of the ease of use.. GPS Babel, comes into play for converting the GPX file to other things.. I'll need to look at ST2GPX.. Hopefully, it does a reverse of its name (S&T to GPX usually means turning Micro$oft to GPX, not making Micro$oft understand GPX.)

I'll need to look at ST2GPX.. Hopefully, it does a reverse of its name (S&T to GPX usually means turning Micro$oft to GPX, not making Micro$oft understand GPX.)

I tested it out and was able to display a track from a GPX file in Streets&Trips without any problems.

thumbs1 you may want to try the method shown at 'How To Install MapSource If It Didn't Come With Your GPS' (link) It appears to be simpler and doesn't require 'unpacking" of the MapSource exe file.

Alternately if all you are interested in doing is showing your tracks in Google Earth I'd suggest GPSTrackmaker (link). This is a free program which offers a single button export of your downloaded track to Google Earth.

Hold on now. LOL

When I said I saved the trip I meant on the the Legend gps. I have the thing saved and the map on the gps itself. I didn't do anything else. Don't give me to much credit. LOL

I have the cables since I can download all the caches I want at one time. But I never did this. <snip>

Just to confirm - you have used the cables before to transfer geocaches to your Legend? This would mean that your computer has a serial port or that you're using a serial/USB converter connected to a USB port.

thumbs1 you may want to try the method shown at 'How To Install MapSource If It Didn't Come With Your GPS' (link) It appears to be simpler and doesn't require 'unpacking" of the MapSource exe file.

Alternately if all you are interested in doing is showing your tracks in Google Earth I'd suggest GPSTrackmaker (link). This is a free program which offers a single button export of your downloaded track to Google Earth.

Here in lies the problem. I have mapsource downloaded the problem is now I don't know how to install if it didn't come on my computer. This is the part I don't know how to do.

"Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\garmin), and run the executable file (.exe)."

When I try to run the Mapsource it goes through an unzip then when I hit next it tells me no previous programs nave been found. I know that is what is supposed to say but I don't know how to do what it tells me to do.

Edited by thumbs1

When I try to run the Mapsource it goes through an unzip then when I hit next it tells me no previous programs nave been found. I know that is what is supposed to say but I don't know how to do what it tells me to do.

Did you download and install Garmin Training Center first?

Did you download and install Garmin Training Center first?

No where do I get that??

Ok found it and downloaded it now what

Edited by thumbs1

What I am trying to do is take the track I took while on a ride and transfer that info to some kind of a program that will put it on a map that I can give someone or keep myself for future reference. The info on the gps is almost usless unless I can put it to a map of somekind. My idea is like a "trip tick" you may get from AAA. Kind of an overlay or a line written on a map to show the route

Hope you guys are still around.LOL

I am able to transfer from my Legend to Mapsource. Now another question for ya. How can get more detail in the map? What I mean is Mapsource only puts in the major roads. How do I get it to put in the little local and back roads?

I tried mapquest but it said the file I was trying to transfer was not in the expected format. How do I get it to a format it will accept?

thanks

Edited by thumbs1