setup a new cache

Is there a walk through for the above page for the first timer.

I want to place a cache with 3VC's leading to the main cache so it would be a multi with the coordinates published for parking not any of the caches (offset ?)

Any help or advice.

Thanks

Is there a walk through for the above page for the first timer.

I want to place a cache with 3VC's leading to the main cache so it would be a multi with the coordinates published for parking not any of the caches (offset ?)

Any help or advice.

Thanks

Well... my advice would be to start with setting a straightforward "trad" cache first. :lol:

Failing that, have a look at the pinned section at the top of this forum "Resources for geocachers in UK and Ireland" and go to http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/

There's lots of useful stuff there, including a link on the left called "Help the Reviewers" which is all about filling out the Report a New cache form and hints on getting your cache published.

MrsB

Certainly B&R have said the most important bit! Have a go, submit it, see what it looks like, make sure co-ords are in the right place, fiddle with the layout, words, speeling etc. Get it all sorted and THEN click the box which sends it off to the queue! You can submit and edit it as many times as you want before sending it off.

If your cache is straight forward the form should be too. Just work through the various boxes. If you get it wrong, it usually tells you when you click submit. Some boxes don't need filling in, eg background image.

If you're doing a multi, make sure your info is good and the cache actually works. Keep any maths simple if possible. Then add it to the form in a clear layout. Make sure to add the additional waypoints after the first submit. Make sure to hide the final waypoint.

In the short description I try and give a one or two sentence description of why you'd want to visit. In the long description, a paragraph expanding on the joys to be had, one on parking, directions or other details, and maybe one on the cache hide, swaps etc. But other folk do it with more or less detail.

There are threads that describe how to do HTML on cache pages, but you don't need to use it if it's challenging.

Best thing is to have a go and experiment - you'll soon get the hang of it. :D

With a Multi I always like to see some indication of time to complete or distance involved. Often this is done in the short description. It saves someone setting off on a 10 mile cross country hike in a business suit or while their wife is waiting for them at Tescos. :D

With a Multi I always like to see some indication of time to complete or distance involved. Often this is done in the short description. It saves someone setting off on a 10 mile cross country hike in a business suit or while their wife is waiting for them at Tescos. :D

I have to agree here, to me multis where you have no clue where your going but know roughly how long it will take are great.

I made my first cache a multi things I would have done diffrently:

1) Taking a photo of the items you are using as a clue/ question to answer,

2) Getting some one to read the cache notes beofre they are published to remove errors,

3) Walking through the cache with a friend who knows nothing about that cache,

4) Writing the coordinates/ answers down or saving them so you dont have to walk your own 3 mile multi to find your own answers!

5) Checked you cannot google the answers,

6) Remember that most caches are good at guessing, whole minutes and three decimals are most important. The first to find on my first multi has subsequently admitted they did not have to complete the walk to get the answers!

Good luck and have fun,

GerritS

It will go into the review queue for whichever reviewer covers your area. As the reviewers are all volunteers you can expect to have an initial response within 72 hours, but often much faster than that*. This means that either your cache will be published or, if there are things that your reviewer needs you to clarify, or change, you'll get a reviewer's note added to your cache page.

MrsB

* Possibly within the next 10 minutes.