PN-40 Failure

:lol: Had to replace my first set of batteries. After I replaced with new alkaline batteries (checking to insure installed correct) my PN-40 would not power up. So I guess I have the same problem others have experienced.

I rated my PN-40 a 5 star +. It is great when it is working.

Here are a couple of things to try.

1. Shut off the PN-40, if not already off.

2. Press Page, Mark (the push-pin), Enter, and Power at the same time. (4-fingers!)

3. Release all but Power.

4. The unit will reset and boot (if this works for you...this is actually a reset for a slightly different condition, so it may not).

If that doesn't work, try leaving the new batteries out for 10 minutes, and then re-insert and power up. If that still fails, some people have said leaving the batteries out for a longer time (say, overnight) restored functioning. But Delorme has said that the shorter time is sufficient for a capacitor to discharge (or something like that).

If the quicker things don't work, let us know and we'll move on to other strategies. Do you know which firmware version you have? I'm wondering if the latest 2.5 firmware does anything to avoid this problem which has been reported by others in the earlier firmwares, or if this is still persisting.

For your reference, here's a monster thread about the PN-40 failing to power on. (same symptoms if different cause than what you have described).

That had just happened to me after upgrading to 2.5RTM a few days ago and leaving the batteries out for the night did the trick for me. Of course I tiried all the other options first but with no other options I just had to wait it out. I've had my PN-40 since December and had never experianced this problem so I hope if nothing else works for you just leave the batteries out for awhile and try it again later.

BTW I love my PN-40!!