Newbie cachers and travel bugs

artemisworks

Last year we stumbled on our first cache and it had a travel bug in it, it had a tag on it with a website etc so we bought it home and looked it up.

It was really interesting, but we were still unsure so after taking a photo or two of it with the kids we put it back where we got it from, yes we did log it on the sites required.

We never went looking again until this past week, we bought a GPS, we have no idea what we are doing but it is fun lol. Kids are treasure hunting, hubby and I are out and about.

I looked up the Travel bug we found and can see it has moved on a bit so obviouslly I did something right and I am one of the people you talk about - I have found 7 caches. Its not just the new people that screw up, some of us are trying to understand and do everything right.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel a sense of responsibility for every single TB and geocoin that passes through my hands. Nowadays, I get a sinking feeling whenever I see that a cache I dropped a bug or coin off in has had a newbie cacher visit after me, with maybe 3-4 caches to their name.

Invariably, the TB or coin has gone missing after their visit, sometimes they'll put it in their log that they 'picked up a travel bug', but they don't ever log it. Occasionally I have been tempted to send them a message, even though the bug does not belong to me, politely asking them to log their find on the webpage. I've never got a single response from these people, and usually they don't find another cache again for months - no mention of the coin or TB ever again!!!

I know that some places as well as the media have been trying to popularise geocaching and encourage new people to try it out, but I tend to think that this will only result in more and more TBs and coins going missing, as people try it out once or twice and then never find another geocache in their lives again when they decide it's not really for them.

So, every time I find that a newbie cacher has visited a cache that I dropped a bug off in, I can't help but feel a terrible, sinking feeling..... :) I shouldn't feel this way because I too, was a newbie cacher who only started off earlier this year. I just wish everyone had *some* sense of responsibility! :P

Artemisworks

Hello. I am a newbie and have some questions. I understad that you're passionate about caching & adhering to geoettiquete so I trust your answer will be precise. When I stated that I'm a newbie, I am REALLY a newbie. 11 caches. That's it. I LOVE it so far. However, I have read all I can find to read and still cannot come up with the answers. Perhaps I've missed a link or two or overlooked a forum discussion. Perhaps not. So here's where I'm confused... First, I've read that TB's are attached to something. A token of importance. Are all TB's SUPPOSED to be attached to something or can they travel alone like the independent fellow I ordered (that was delivered today)? Is it best to send him on his journey with a baggie containing his traveling goals or is it acceptable to simply include it on his page? Also, I am unclear on when & where to see him off. Do I have to place him in a cache that I hide or is it common practice to begin his journey in a cache that I find? And if I am able to send him off in a cache that I find, will that person acquire his inventory list or will I, his owner? As a newbie that desires no seasoned cachers heart to sink, I would appreciate as much detail as you can offer. Thank you and peace.

Hello. I am a newbie and have some questions. I understad that you're passionate about caching & adhering to geoettiquete so I trust your answer will be precise. When I stated that I'm a newbie, I am REALLY a newbie. 11 caches. That's it. I LOVE it so far. However, I have read all I can find to read and still cannot come up with the answers. Perhaps I've missed a link or two or overlooked a forum discussion. Perhaps not. So here's where I'm confused... First, I've read that TB's are attached to something. A token of importance. Are all TB's SUPPOSED to be attached to something or can they travel alone like the independent fellow I ordered (that was delivered today)? Is it best to send him on his journey with a baggie containing his traveling goals or is it acceptable to simply include it on his page? Also, I am unclear on when & where to see him off. Do I have to place him in a cache that I hide or is it common practice to begin his journey in a cache that I find? And if I am able to send him off in a cache that I find, will that person acquire his inventory list or will I, his owner? As a newbie that desires no seasoned cachers heart to sink, I would appreciate as much detail as you can offer. Thank you and peace.

Make sure to read Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic pinned at the top of the forum.

You could just release the tag in a baggie, but baggies tear and a tag by itself could get lost. It's best to attach the tag securely to a small item. If you are unsure what to use try something like a keychain from your local stuffmart. Just put the tag right on the ring.

It's always a good idea to include a mission goal sheet. I like to make a custom one and put it in a laminated tag, but printing a full sheet and adding it to a baggie will work as well. Those are easy to replace should it get damaged.

If you don't include a mission/goal sheet there is a chance that people will not move your bug in the direction you want it to go. If you don't care which direction it moves then providing goal instructions isn't that important. I just think it's a good idea to include one anyway so people know it's a travel bug and not some trinket to keep. Not everyone knows how to log a bug.

Once you activate the bug it will show in your possession. You can place it in any cache large enough to hold it. It can be your own, or another person's cache, whether you found it before or not. If you like you can start you bug close to home and then release it in a cache further away. Just take the bug caching to a nearby cache. Post a note or a Found it log and drop the bug. Then access the bug page and Retrieve the bug back out. Then take the bug wherever and drop it off. That way the mileage starts closer to your home. This is called Dipping. Handy when the cache is to small to hold the bug but you want to give it credit for being at the cache.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Make sure to read Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic pinned at the top of the forum.

You could just release the tag in a baggie, but baggies tear and a tag by itself could get lost. It's best to attach the tag securely to a small item. If you are unsure what to use try something like a keychain from your local stuffmart. Just put the tag right on the ring.

It's always a good idea to include a mission goal sheet. I like to make a custom one and put it in a laminated tag, but printing a full sheet and adding it to a baggie will work as well. Those are easy to replace should it get damaged.

If you don't include a mission/goal sheet there is a chance that people will not move your bug in the direction you want it to go. If you don't care which direction it moves then providing goal instructions isn't that important. I just think it's a good idea to include one anyway so people know it's a travel bug and not some trinket to keep. Not everyone knows how to log a bug.

Once you activate the bug it will show in your possession. You can place it in any cache large enough to hold it. It can be your own, or another person's cache, whether you found it before or not. If you like you can start you bug close to home and then release it in a cache further away. Just take the bug caching to a nearby cache. Post a note or a Found it log and drop the bug. Then access the bug page and Retrieve the bug back out. Then take the bug wherever and drop it off. That way the mileage starts closer to your home. This is called Dipping. Handy when the cache is to small to hold the bug but you want to give it credit for being at the cache.

BlueDeuce, you're a rockstar. Thanks so much for your help and the timely response. My bug, fellow cachers and I are grateful. Peace.

Hello to all,

Please can you advise a Noobie (So new, that the wrapper is still on the GPSr) :P

My three questions are on TB`s and concern the correct (or - accepted etiquette) for the movement of a TB.

Our aim is to find Geocaches in our region of France, that contain (if any) TB`s.

First, some background information - We live and work in France, and have the opportunity to travel throughout Asia two times every year. A total period of four months.

The Countries visited (Business and/or Pleasure) are, Thailand, Tibet, Nepal, Bali, and India.

I have extensively read this forum, (Midnight-Oil replenished many times) and all associated FAQ`s, I have tried following the logic and spirit concerning TB`s - but still have been unable to find a definitive answer to my questions.

Q1: If I find and do not remove a TB and after researching/reading it`s history and mission - Can I return later and remove it ? - (Of course I will contact the owner and follow his/her instructions upon removal)

Q2; If so, how do I log this second visit to the cache, with subsequent removal of the TB ?.

Q3: Is it permissible to log and take a TB to one of the above Countries - Knowing that by doing so I have reduced the chance of that TB being moved further on it`s journey, within a reasonable period of time ?.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I do not wish to upset anyone within the Geocaching community, if at all possible.

Captain Spherical...

Q1: If I find and do not remove a TB and after researching/reading it`s history and mission - Can I return later and remove it ? - (Of course I will contact the owner and follow his/her instructions upon removal)

Travel bugs are meant to move. You can visit or revisit any cache, including your own to retrieve a travel bug. It is not necessary to contact the owner (of the cache or the bug) first. The bug owner would enjoy that you take pictures, tell stories and have fun.

Q2; If so, how do I log this second visit to the cache, with subsequent removal of the TB ?.

If you have already logged a Found it on the cache you would only need to post a Note on the revisit.

Q3: Is it permissible to log and take a TB to one of the above Countries - Knowing that by doing so I have reduced the chance of that TB being moved further on it`s journey, within a reasonable period of time ?.

Consider the mission of the bug. If there is no restrictions on where it can travel you can place a bug into any cache large enough to hold it. You may not want to leave a bug in a cache that is rarely visited. If the cache is only visited a couple times a year you may want to find another location. You can however Dip the bug. This would be where you log the bug through the cache without leaving the bug behind. Simply drop the bug like you normally would with your found it log and then access the bug page and retrieve the bug back out. This will give the bug credit for visiting the cache.

My husband told me about TB's a while back, and he gave me one. I have released it today. My frustration has been to go to specific caches in the area I'm visiting (Seattle) and discover the TB's listed are not there! One was moved today, no biggie, before I got there, but another cache had several listed....

Not sure how often this happens.

I picked one up locally before I left home (CA) and dropped it today.

Here's hoping I can find one before I leave this state....I want to take one with me on deployment, and drop it overseas..

Is there any advice on how to increase my success rate in finding a cache with a TB in it? I'm 1 for 3, and one of the caches today had over six TB's and coins listed.

:)

Is there any advice on how to increase my success rate in finding a cache with a TB in it? I'm 1 for 3, and one of the caches today had over six TB's and coins listed.

1. Take a look at the logs beforehand & see if anyone noted not seeing a TB listed.

2. Click on the actual TB page to see when it was dropped in the cache. If it's been a long time & people have visited the cache... then it's likely not in there.

Hope these suggestions help.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel a sense of responsibility for every single TB and geocoin that passes through my hands. Nowadays, I get a sinking feeling whenever I see that a cache I dropped a bug or coin off in has had a newbie cacher visit after me, with maybe 3-4 caches to their name.

I'm a newb with 25 finds. I dropped a GC which an experienced cacher (+2000 finds) picked up and didn't log. It showed up a week or so later in another cache. It's not just the newbs that forget to log!

i am a newbie. We just found number 8 today. Yesterday we found a bug. my son took 'responsibility' for it. I let him pick its next home and we dropped it at a new location today. It was a funny bug started off in NY and wanted to go to the Adirondack State Park in New York State. Umm I say two different visits to the west coast LOL.. Funny stuff. Since we are new we set it on its way quickly as not to concern the owner LOL. it was a great experience and he can't wait for our bugs to come in.

I can see how a newbie would have no clue (no matter how well labeled it was) what a travel bug was.

As a family, we are new to geocaching, but feel we have "done our homework" also. It is too bad that a lot of TB get "lost" or not logged. Despite a lot of reading, we had been kind of afraid to even take a trackable in case we were to do the wrong thing with it. Anyway.....we decided to take a chance on one that we picked up in a cache near a place we camp most weekends. After reading its' mission once we got it home.....we will actually just be returning it, as we are unable to help. I noticed that people here have been talking about attaching a printout with the mission, or some explanation that would accompany the TB. My question is......Do most have that.....or do you look at the TB available, take down the ID, look it up, and then go back for it if suitable??

P.S...We logged it anyway, and messaged the cache owner about it.

Thanks.....From another committed newbie.

I'm having a hard time finding any caches with trackables in my area. They only seem to show up in newly listed caches and I am so slow off the mark that my race isn't for FTF but to be at least in the top 20. :P So many micros around (another topic) and try as I may can't seem to get a trackable into a 35mm or a bison tube :) . Trackables are or perhaps I should say were a big part of my caching experience. Discovery at events seems to be the only opportunity to add to the numbers which is really what it is all about. :D

As others have stated, I am definitely a newbie at geocaching. My family and I have only logged 13 finds - although today we were very happy to find our first multi-cache. Like another poster I did my homework ... after learning about geocaching on vacation from an experienced cacher I read books and every page of the site prior to beginning. I haven't moved travel bugs or coins yet since I haven't found one that I could help with it's goal. I was told that you should do your research prior to touching one :P . My point is that newbies are not so bad. I look upon every cache very carefully. Not only do I research before going out, but when I get there. I reread descriptions and trackable information while I am there and if I can't help the item along then there isn't any sense in taking it. I am getting ready to release some of my own travel bugs when I find a busy cache. If they get misplaced or collected or lost that is unfortunate, but I can only try my best. I would like them to find their way and to gain some enjoyment from following them on their adventures, but I do understand that unforeseen events might happen. I choose to believe that these events have nothing to with me personally, but are done because the person might not know what the item is for or why the item might be of consequence. I won't take it to heart, but will launch another.

My everyone's caching be wonderful!

... I look upon every cache very carefully. Not only do I research before going out, but when I get there. I reread descriptions and trackable information while I am there and if I can't help the item along then there isn't any sense in taking it....

My everyone's caching be wonderful!

Glad to know that you're enjoying the game. I (and every other owner of trackables :D ) thank you for taking the time to "do your homework" to understand how to move our trackables around.

Just one small point I wanted to make - Even if you can't help the trackable with its specific mission (e.g. it wants to be photographed with pets, but you don't have any), from the owner's point of view, it's still good if you can move the trackable along even a short distance. The fact that it's been picked up lets the owner know that it's still active and , who knows? ... The cache that you drop it into may be visited next time by the cacher who has a pet cougar, or something. :P

MrsB :)

I just returned to this thread and was surprised to see so many posts - wow, thanks, I enjoyed reading all your perspectives, and would like to wish all newbies "Hello" and welcome to geocaching! I appreciate that most people who visit this forum will be responsible cachers, and have done all their homework in ensuring that bugs and coins get moved on reasonably quickly. I certainly never meant to tar all newbies with the same brush, after all, having just started in Jan this year, I'm still somewhat a newbie in that respect!

But I have noticed some cachers with 1-2 finds pocketing the bugs/coins and you never hear from them again. I suppose they are the sorts who are trying out geocaching, and end up getting bored of the hobby. I just wish they wouldn't pick up the TB in the first place if they weren't absolutely committed to finding a new home for it before they gave up geocaching forever. Another thing I've noticed is how there are some people with a reasonable number of caches to their names, who hang on to EVERY SINGLE TB and COIN they have ever picked up! What does one do about these people? Are they TB/coin collectors? Would it be reasonable for the owners to politely email these people after 1 month or more!?

If a TB has a very specific mission, I think it would always be useful to attach a laminated note to the TB. Otherwise, a cacher may just pick it up and then discover that they are completely unable to assist the bug on its mission. Having said that, there are a lot of cachers who ignore the missions anyway.

Thankfully my two TBs are still travelling after a few months, although one is stuck in a rarely visited cache... I just want to know that they are in safe hands. :laughing: I am grateful to all the cachers who have moved them on so far!

artemisworks

Edited by artemisworks

I released my 1st TB last week, unfortunately it was picked up by a newbie, they dropped a TB when they picked up mine plus a geocoin. The newbie has entered no cache finds, or that they drpped 1 off. Seeing that they had not logged any caches or pick ups on cache pages, I sent them a nice letter(e-mail) welcoming them to geocaching and if I could help them in anyway to log caches and TB's coins etc. I would help them all I could. The TB they dropped was picked up by a seasoned cacher, who set the TB back on track. I was told my TB would be dropped over this weekend. I have had no responce to my e-mail. I can only hope that my 1st TB gets in the hands of a seasoned cacher. <_<