Newbie cachers and travel bugs

artemisworks

I don't know if it's just me but I feel a sense of responsibility for every single TB and geocoin that passes through my hands. Nowadays, I get a sinking feeling whenever I see that a cache I dropped a bug or coin off in has had a newbie cacher visit after me, with maybe 3-4 caches to their name.

Invariably, the TB or coin has gone missing after their visit, sometimes they'll put it in their log that they 'picked up a travel bug', but they don't ever log it. Occasionally I have been tempted to send them a message, even though the bug does not belong to me, politely asking them to log their find on the webpage. I've never got a single response from these people, and usually they don't find another cache again for months - no mention of the coin or TB ever again!!!

I know that some places as well as the media have been trying to popularise geocaching and encourage new people to try it out, but I tend to think that this will only result in more and more TBs and coins going missing, as people try it out once or twice and then never find another geocache in their lives again when they decide it's not really for them.

So, every time I find that a newbie cacher has visited a cache that I dropped a bug off in, I can't help but feel a terrible, sinking feeling..... :) I shouldn't feel this way because I too, was a newbie cacher who only started off earlier this year. I just wish everyone had *some* sense of responsibility! :lol:

Artemisworks

Whenever I come across a TB or coin that is "naked" in a cache (just sitting there with no info or goal sheet), I always pick it up and bring it home where I print out the TB info sheet and put it in a plastic baggie. This way cachers are more apt to look at what it is, what it is doing in the cache, and why it is so special to get its own little baggie. Once they read that it is "No ordinary item" and wants to travel, I think they are more likely to come home and research trackable items and what to do with them.

I've been geocaching for over a year and made a recent TB boo-boo! I didn't research the TB before I picked it up. When I got home and logged it, I realized that it was racing other TBs, so it needed to travel a lot of miles in just a few days! :D Instead of holding it until my next long trip, I just put it in a cache along the interstate, hoping that someone travelling picks it up. I felt pretty silly. I felt a bit better when I read a log entry where a cacher actually took the entire cache with him/her to the home state and had to get it back to where it belonged! At least we were responsible enough to right our wrongs. Perhaps these newbies you're talking about will learn and make things right, too. I hope so! :P

I've been geocaching for over a year and made a recent TB boo-boo! I didn't research the TB before I picked it up. When I got home and logged it, I realized that it was racing other TBs, so it needed to travel a lot of miles in just a few days!

I had something similar a few weeks ago, I was going to FL to visit family and had picked up a TB and coin here in Alabama where I am stationed. The coin was in a race to the east coast of FL and the TB just wanted to travel. I got the coin to Orlando which is pretty close to where it needed to be and dropped the TB as well. I picked up another TB from where I made the drop.

I always put them on my watch list until they are picked up. Few days later someone pics up the coin and takes it all the way to Tallahassee. :D The TB I took from FL back to AL needed to go back to Indiana, ok so I drop it near the interstate. Gets picked up and taken back to FL. :P

Come on now Do your research before you pick it up. Do people just disregard the wishes attached to these trackables or they just ignorant?

Whenever I come across a TB or coin that is "naked" in a cache (just sitting there with no info or goal sheet), I always pick it up and bring it home where I print out the TB info sheet and put it in a plastic baggie. This way cachers are more apt to look at what it is, what it is doing in the cache, and why it is so special to get its own little baggie. Once they read that it is "No ordinary item" and wants to travel, I think they are more likely to come home and research trackable items and what to do with them.

While this is a nice gesture, it's still best to ask if the owner wants that done. There are a few out there who say "If I wanted it like that, I would have sent it like that." So, asking is nice.

Also, regarding "Newbie Cachers" We all had to start somewhere. You can't become a seasoned cacher without being new first.

I wouldn't be able to ski off a Black Diamond Trail without trying the Bunny Slope first.

I wouldn't be able race at Daytona without my first driving lesson.

I wouldn't be able to become a 5 Star Chef without learning how to boil water first.

See my point? Educate your newbies, and they won't be newbies for long. Send someone the link in my signature to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base, if you think they need the information.

I'm one of those newbie cachers!

I haven't picked up a travel bug yet because I want to make sure of the process.

I travel for work, so I have great opportunities to move travel bugs wherever they need to go - but I get confused!

I try to look at the cache and see what tb is there, but some seem to be logged and not really there -

I didn't know people put the goal with the tb - that's a great idea - because even though I haven't picked one up yet, I keep looking at the listing to see what the goal is.

What's the protocol on how long to keep a trackable?

For instance, I'm in Albany GA right now and there are some trackables near me that I was thinking of taking home to Nashville.

I won't be traveling again until the 18th when I'm headed to Cincinnati.

SHould I put the bug in a Nashville cache and then if it hasn't been picked up by the time I get ready to head north, pick it up again?

How long is the average to keep a tb before placing it again?

There's a really neat travel bug resort and drop off near where I am now (gcwfc7) so I don't want to miss an opportunity to help some along their goal.

Not to hijack too terribly, but since we're talking about TB and newbies........... How many TB (or coins for that matter) can I remove from a single cache? And like last poster said, how long should it be held onto before dropping it in a different cache?

Thanks for the help!

Louie

Check this thread: What is the proper etiquette when finding multiple Travel Bugs and/or GeoCoins in the same cache?

The system will put an asterisk next to any bug you've been holding for two weeks. This is a reminder to keep them bugs moving! If you find you'll be holding on to the bug for three weeks or more, notify the owner of the situation. Most are pretty cool about it if they know their bug hasn't been forgotten. If you want to hold the bug for over a month, maybe to take it on a long trip, get the owners permission first.

I'm a newbie cacher, I have found a travel bug and recorded my find. I have also placed it into a different cache but I don't know how to record this :P . I've searched through the site pages, but like finding the caches I'm not having much luck.

Can any one help so the newbie cachers don't get a too bad a name

I'm a newbie cacher, I have found a travel bug and recorded my find. I have also placed it into a different cache but I don't know how to record this :P . I've searched through the site pages, but like finding the caches I'm not having much luck.

Can any one help so the newbie cachers don't get a too bad a name

Check here: HOW TO LOG A TRAVEL BUG OR GEOCOIN

"To drop a bug in a cache, navigate to the cache page and log your find. This time there will be a box below the description field that lists bugs in your online inventory. Highlight the bug you wish to drop (if there are more than one you can hold the ctrl key down while clicking to highlight two or more). When you submit your log the TB will be removed from your inventory and show as being in the cache on the cache page. You can then go to the TB page and leave a note if you wish."

If you have already logged your find you can post a Note on the cache page to do the Drop.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I just ordered my first set of TB dogtags (gunna be a mother day gift for my wife). And I hope they last awhile. I am still a newbee but understand the concept. I have moved a few (and actually so far the caches that most interest me are the ones with trackables in them) and feel guilty if I don't move them very far. But I have a question (not to threadjack); When I found my first caches I did not totally understand the TB or Coin thing, I thought I might miss one and not recognize one if I saw one (didn't do my homework before starting this addiction I guess) but now see that wont happen and did not know they might have a mission. I want to (I think) include the mission/TB instructions as to help a newbe not to add it to the obituary- But, I saw on the 'longevity clinic', this was not recommended. What have your experiences been with the fatality rate and instruction being included with the trackable?

I wasn't aware the clinic didn't recommend adding a goal/mission sheet.

It's highly recommended. You can either toss the bug into a baggie and include a mission sheet* or you can add your own homemade tag. I normally write up a quick mission statement and put it inside a self-laminating luggage tag. Then I securely attach it to the bug.

*Each bug page has a sheet you can print out. Click the Print Info Sheet listed under Trackable Item Options.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The system will put an asterisk next to any bug you've been holding for two weeks.

Does that part still work? I have not seen an asterisk for at least a few months on any bugs I've held over two weeks.

Do people just disregard the wishes attached to these trackables or they just ignorant?

We are just ignorant. I thought they just wanted to travel, knowing now how much effort all this is I'll just let em sit . . . Thanks for the education. Too many rulez. Bugz sux.

I am fairly new at caching(only been caching since March and total 89 finds) but I have had a few experiences with TB's.

I have a story of one TB I picked up that had a goal of going to all the capital states and having its picture taken. Well, we had a caching event that came up and happened to meet a fellow cacher from our capital city so I asked if they wouldn't mind taking it back home with them and taking its picture. They said sure and that they would also take it with them to other places as well as they would supposedly be going through many states. I logged it as having been handed off at the event and still the poor TB hasn't been seen since... I don't want to believe that someone used me to help them kidnap innocent TB's but what else am I supposed to think? As a newbie, having a "seasoned" cacher commit such an offense that we are generally looked at for made me quite upset. Not only because it makes it look like I made it go poof, but because this is the example they are making.

The moral of the story? It isn't just newbies and muggles that make poor TB's show up on milk cartons...

I am fairly new at caching(only been caching since March and total 89 finds) but I have had a few experiences with TB's.

I have a story of one TB I picked up that had a goal of going to all the capital states and having its picture taken. Well, we had a caching event that came up and happened to meet a fellow cacher from our capital city so I asked if they wouldn't mind taking it back home with them and taking its picture. They said sure and that they would also take it with them to other places as well as they would supposedly be going through many states. I logged it as having been handed off at the event and still the poor TB hasn't been seen since... I don't want to believe that someone used me to help them kidnap innocent TB's but what else am I supposed to think? As a newbie, having a "seasoned" cacher commit such an offense that we are generally looked at for made me quite upset. Not only because it makes it look like I made it go poof, but because this is the example they are making.

The moral of the story? It isn't just newbies and muggles that make poor TB's show up on milk cartons...

I had at look at the TB that you're referring to, which is still showing as logged into the event...

It may well be that the TB is safe in the bag of the "seasoned cacher" but real life has intervened in the last 6 weeks and other stuff has taken priority over caching activities. I don't know whether you've tried contacting them, but a little email along the lines of "It was really nice meeting you at the event... blah, blah, blah... but I noticed that the TB we handed over hasn't moved on yet..." might be enough to jog them into action to retrieve the TB into their hands. :anibad:

MrsB

I too am a newbie with only 51 caches to my name :) , I try to check what tb's are in the caches I'm going to, then I know if I can move them on :) , most of the time I am then able to take what I can move on if I find the cache :anibad:. I'm off to an event on monday ,hopefully I will learn lots from the more experienced cachers but I have seen tb's that want to move round america, germany ie own country and they are over here :) .If we all ignored these tb's they would never get home, all we can do is try to move them closer to a point where somebody might take them home so sometimes common sence is required :)

I am also a newbie, having only started geocaching last month. Taking this new hobby seriously, I did my research/homework on everything involved - including reading the latest edition of The Idiot's Guide to Geocaching. Recently, I came across TB dog tags (only) in a local cache and looked up it's story. Found out it should have had a Ty plush squirrel attached. Went back to the cache the next day to search the container for Nutty, but no luck. Another interesting note, the TB was still listed in a cache inventory about 50 miles away. I then sent a message to the owners explaining what I found and what they would like me to do next. Unfortunately, after waiting 3 weeks, I never received a reply. Feeling responsible, I bought a new Ty Nutty from Ebay, printed out the TB's info sheet and dropped it off to continue on it's way. Don't know if it was right, but I feel better. Thinking this experience was an isolated incident, I was excited to start my own TB, but after reading about so many TBs gone missing (how sad), I'm now reluctant to do so. Guess I'll try it anyway, but won't expect much.

I am also a newbie, having only started geocaching last month. Taking this new hobby seriously, I did my research/homework on everything involved - including reading the latest edition of The Idiot's Guide to Geocaching. Recently, I came across TB dog tags (only) in a local cache and looked up it's story. Found out it should have had a Ty plush squirrel attached. Went back to the cache the next day to search the container for Nutty, but no luck. Another interesting note, the TB was still listed in a cache inventory about 50 miles away. I then sent a message to the owners explaining what I found and what they would like me to do next. Unfortunately, after waiting 3 weeks, I never received a reply. Feeling responsible, I bought a new Ty Nutty from Ebay, printed out the TB's info sheet and dropped it off to continue on it's way. Don't know if it was right, but I feel better. Thinking this experience was an isolated incident, I was excited to start my own TB, but after reading about so many TBs gone missing (how sad), I'm now reluctant to do so. Guess I'll try it anyway, but won't expect much.

Welcome to the forums...

Your story about the missing Nutty and your further actions touched my heart - Good on you, I would probably have done much the same thing. I see that he's heading for England so I'll keep an eye on him. I wonder what happened to his friend Cyril.

I hope your TB travels well and meets only kind and considerate geocachers. I think there's something to be said for the advice often given here which is to get a few TBs activated. That way, if one of them stalls, or just goes dormant for a few months, you still have others to keep the fun going.

Good luck.

MrsB

I had at look at the TB that you're referring to, which is still showing as logged into the event...

It may well be that the TB is safe in the bag of the "seasoned cacher" but real life has intervened in the last 6 weeks and other stuff has taken priority over caching activities. I don't know whether you've tried contacting them, but a little email along the lines of "It was really nice meeting you at the event... blah, blah, blah... but I noticed that the TB we handed over hasn't moved on yet..." might be enough to jog them into action to retrieve the TB into their hands. :anibad:

MrsB

I am attempting to figure out how to reach him to send him an email asking how the TB is doing... I was just trying to point out to the individual that said they cringed when they saw a newbie show up after them that we aren't necessarily the kidnappers they think we are. :)

Is it OK to use the second TB's and restart the journey and consider the origional as mia?

Yes, provided enough time has passed to be certain the bug won't resurface any time soon.

You can change the traveler, name, description, mission/goal, just don't delete the logs of the people who previously assisted your bug.

It may well be that the TB is safe in the bag of the "seasoned cacher" but real life has intervened in the last 6 weeks and other stuff has taken priority over caching activities. I don't know whether you've tried contacting them, but a little email along the lines of "It was really nice meeting you at the event... blah, blah, blah... but I noticed that the TB we handed over hasn't moved on yet..." might be enough to jog them into action to retrieve the TB into their hands. B)

MrsB

I am attempting to figure out how to reach him to send him an email asking how the TB is doing... I was just trying to point out to the individual that said they cringed when they saw a newbie show up after them that we aren't necessarily the kidnappers they think we are. <_<

Indeed - we mustn't tar all new cachers with the same brush. :wacko:

Do you know the "seasoned cacher"'s caching name? If he's logged the event then you can contact him by clicking on his caching name against his log. That will take you to his profile page where you'll see the link to "send message".

[sorry if I'm stating the obvious to you but many new cachers don't discover this way of contact at first.]

If you don't know his name then maybe the event organiser would know who it is, if you can give them a description... Did he have any distinguishing moles? :laughing:

Hopefully the TB will be back in action soon.

MrsB

Welcome to the forums...

Your story about the missing Nutty and your further actions touched my heart - Good on you, I would probably have done much the same thing. I see that he's heading for England so I'll keep an eye on him. I wonder what happened to his friend Cyril.

I hope your TB travels well and meets only kind and considerate geocachers. I think there's something to be said for the advice often given here which is to get a few TBs activated. That way, if one of them stalls, or just goes dormant for a few months, you still have others to keep the fun going.

Good luck.

MrsB

Mrs B, Thank you for your encouraging and kind words. The TB Cyril's Friend Nutty is safely tucked in (for now) a metal cache, so he can't chew through, about 20 minutes away from the Portland, ME airport. I sent a follow-up email to the owners to let them know what I did. I also included his image under the cache log. I'll keep an eye on him too. I sewed the TB chain around his neck for added security. Hopefully, Cyril and Nutty will someday be reunited at their final destination. Maybe you'll have the opportunity to see them in your area! Wish I could find out where Cyril is too, but he has a different owner.

You're right, having more TBs would be better and easier to deal with if/when one goes missing. We now have 4 planned to release this summer, a few geocoins too. :laughing:

(I'm also a Mrs. :D

While this is a nice gesture, it's still best to ask if the owner wants that done. There are a few out there who say "If I wanted it like that, I would have sent it like that." So, asking is nice.

Also, regarding "Newbie Cachers" We all had to start somewhere. You can't become a seasoned cacher without being new first.

I wouldn't be able to ski off a Black Diamond Trail without trying the Bunny Slope first.

I wouldn't be able race at Daytona without my first driving lesson.

I wouldn't be able to become a 5 Star Chef without learning how to boil water first.

See my point? Educate your newbies, and they won't be newbies for long. Send someone the link in my signature to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base, if you think they need the information.

Anybody ever notice that travellers aren't even mentioned in the "Getting Started" section of gc.com? Maybe adding a brief explanation and a "how to" link would help educate newbies who start in the most logical place!

I know the feeling!

You could always drop the TB/Coin into a harder to find cache, that newbies won't be looking for/be able to find, and then worry that the traveller is stuck for ages... :D

Agree.. I always select caches that I feel are a bit harder to find thus more "muggle resistant" and attract fewer novices for bug and coin drops. Not saying that all newbies are irresponsible nor that all veterans are.. just trying to play the odds to extend the life of the trackable.

I am a newbie and have already seen what seems like a large number of geocoins and travel bugs Missing In Action. I have found several caches that are supposed to have a traveler but nothing is logged and the traveler is not in the cache. :D I am getting ready to send a Geocoin on a mission and to, hopefully, discourage coin thieves I am going to attach a "Hitch-Hiker Companion" and a custom engraved tag that clearly states its mission. I am also going to attach these tags with a stainless steel cable rather than the more common bead chain, to avoid breakage. This may all sound kind of extreme but maybe my coin will have a longer life. :D

My first TB I sent out went missing. But it was found by a student who was target practicing. There was nothing left of the dog attached but he took it to his teacher who was a cacher. They contacted me about putting something else on it. Then they took a picture of it and emailed it to me so I could update the page.

I had a new cacher, this was their first cache who picked up one of my adventure guides. They couldn't log it because they were using the TB number instead of the tracking number. They emailed me and I wrote back and explained how to do it. I have had a lot of new cachers do that.

I thought when I started buying the adventure guides and sending those out I would have a lot go missing. Colorful and the Beaver Dude on it, but they seem to show up more so people see what they are. Haven't had any of those go missing yet.

I don't mind a newbie coming to my caches or picking up a coin or TB that I own. I made mistakes when I started and I got some nasty emails so I won't do that to any one. This is a game that everyone plays differently.

There is a Cyril the Squirrel who made it to England. Don't know if this it the one your looking for though.

Cyril the Squirrel

...There is a Cyril the Squirrel who made it to England. Don't know if this it the one your looking for though.

Cyril the Squirrel

Some squirrels are better behaved than others. :grin: I just wish mine would get his act together, concentrate, and get back in the race... He was winning... until got side-tracked...

Nuts the Squirrel.

MrsB :P

He is enjoying his adventure. People have taken some nice pictures. Poor thing has been stuck in the same cache for almost two months. I hope he makes it back home and meets up with Berries. They are cute TB's.

:grin: I recovered a TB this spring that had gone missing for 4 years. I notified the owners who instructed me to place it in a cache to continue its journey. I placed it in a brand new mystery cache that I thought would have been frequented more than it has. Since we were there 2 months ago, no one has found it and we are only one of three who have. I feel a bit guilty because it has not moved and am wondering if I should go retrieve it to put in a more frequented cache. Any opinions?
I feel a bit guilty because it has not moved and am wondering if I should go retrieve it to put in a more frequented cache. Any opinions?

If it isn't too much of a bother, I think this would be very nice of you to do. However you may want to send a quick email to the owner first to see if they'd prefer it be released into a more frequented cache or just await someone finding it in the cache you already put it in.

I had a TB placed into a very difficult puzzle cache and it sat there for over a year before the owner actually retrieved it and sent it on its way. At least I knew it was safe because no one was visiting the cache! :)

I'm getting ready to release a TB out into the world... I have to first talk to him about taking candy from strangers & making sure someone holds his hand while crossing the street... and after reading this, I'm hoping he'll get to visit moosely mainers if anything goes wrong... nutty was obviously well cared for!

I really want to give him a mission, but I just can't figure out what I want him to do! And I keep hoping to get lucky enough to find a cache with a TB in it (the area we're going to tonight has a cache with one, but, judging from other logs, its not really there).

Like someone else said (sorry... forgot who!) I am a newbie, but I promise, I've read everything I could find!!

Come on now Do your research before you pick it up. Do people just disregard the wishes attached to these trackables or they just ignorant?

Accidents happen. I'd much rather see my bug travel anywhere than sit in a cache and get passed up again and again or in someone's inventory as they wait to move it according to the bug's mission.

There's another side to this story- the over protective helicopter bug owner. When you let that bug go hope for the best, but accept that sometimes the joys of the journey trump the mission.

I'm getting ready to release a TB out into the world... I have to first talk to him about taking candy from strangers & making sure someone holds his hand while crossing the street... and after reading this, I'm hoping he'll get to visit moosely mainers if anything goes wrong... nutty was obviously well cared for!

I really want to give him a mission, but I just can't figure out what I want him to do! And I keep hoping to get lucky enough to find a cache with a TB in it (the area we're going to tonight has a cache with one, but, judging from other logs, its not really there)...

Awwwwwwwhhh... it can be a worry when they have to go off into the wild world of caches, all on their own. You just have to keep your fingers crossed that they meet up with considerate cachers who will do the right thing by them.

Whatever your TB item is, I'm sure some good mission idea will come to you eventually: I hope he has long, safe travels.

MrsB :)

I really want to give him a mission, but I just can't figure out what I want him to do! And I keep hoping to get lucky enough to find a cache with a TB in it (the area we're going to tonight has a cache with one, but, judging from other logs, its not really there).

Like someone else said (sorry... forgot who!) I am a newbie, but I promise, I've read everything I could find!!

We'll be releasing our first TB very soon too. Let's keep our fingers crossed! I don't know where you're from or where your TB's mission will take him/her, but if it's in the New England area, it would be fun if we got the chance to visit and move it along. Good luck!

I wish I could find out also how to make contact with cachers who have taken my TB's and not logged then out of the cache they were at.

The first time I found a TB locally, I logged it wrong, choosing "discovered it" instead of "grabbing it." A local geocaching veteran saw my mistake, contacted me through my profile, kindly explained my mistake, and walked me through logging it correctly. So, I say contact them! Sure, you run the risk that they'll get snippy, but I think most people actually appreciate it.

Being "newbies" ourselves, let us share this. On our first day out we found a TB. However, we knew what to do with it. We had read many of the posts on the forum, as well as read almost every page of geocaching.com. We posted on the forum before we even bought a GPS. In short, we did our homework before venturing out, so that we knew what to expect. With our first TB, it took a bit to figure out how to log it, but we did eventually do it. Since then we have found 3 others, and plan on sending out our own TB this weekend. When we find a TB that we can help and take it with us, our goal is to move it within 10 days. Otherwise we just leave it for the next person. People just need to be more educated about this "sport" and do thier homework beforehand. We've only been doing it for about a month and a half and just love it! We're hooked on it!

I enjoyed reading this thread, post for post. I had wondered the same thing. I grabbed my first TB a couple days ago. It was one of two in the cache and I didn't know which to take. Considering we were on the tip of a peninsula there was a good chance that they needed to go back down to get anywhere. I only took one and turns out I was going in his direction a bit when I looked at it. Wish I would have read this a week earlier. I could have brought a bunch of them back out of the peninsula. :)