Colorado 300 and Mapsource

I have a new Colorado 300 and am using Mapsource with it. I have gone Geocaching. I marked the ones that I found. I have tried to transfer the files and also to download to Mapsource but the found caches do not show up as found. Are they in a hidden file? I have checked the dates on the files on the Colorado and nothing has changed since the files were moved to the Colorado. Any suggestions?

The CO, and OR, does not treat caches as waypoints. So when you download data from the CO to Mapsource you will not see the geocaches like you did with a 60CSx. Only the child waypoints and any user created waypoints will show up.

If you want to see the caches, as well as your track log, open the device/GARMIN/GPX/****.gpx file that contains your geocaches. Then download your tracklog on top of that.

Here is a good resource for understanding how caches work in the CO:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

The CO, and OR, does not treat caches as waypoints. So when you download data from the CO to Mapsource you will not see the geocaches like you did with a 60CSx. Only the child waypoints and any user created waypoints will show up.

If you want to see the caches, as well as your track log, open the device/GARMIN/GPX/****.gpx file that contains your geocaches. Then download your tracklog on top of that.

I did do a file transfer from the Garmin over to my computer and then opened the file with Mapsource. It showed the caches but not as found. It should have shown the found caches as a open treasure box. So I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Edited by Chuck837

I have a new Colorado 300 and am using Mapsource with it. I have gone Geocaching. I marked the ones that I found. I have tried to transfer the files and also to download to Mapsource but the found caches do not show up as found. Are they in a hidden file? I have checked the dates on the files on the Colorado and nothing has changed since the files were moved to the Colorado. Any suggestions?

I have a 76CSX. As i find Caches I list them as found. Now they are put in a differnet files, They are not in a way point file but in a Geocahing file. I also use Mapsource, when I down load from the 76CSX to Mapsource I just higlight waypoint in the opptions window.

One more thing. When you find your caches are you sure you highlighting the found option on your GPS and then puching the Enter button?

Hope this was some help

I did do a file transfer from the Garmin over to my computer and then opened the file with Mapsource. It showed the caches but not as found. It should have shown the found caches as a open treasure box. So I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

What file did you transfer?? If it was the GPX file you were using for Geocaching - it isn't going to show any differences - the GPX file never gets edited in any way. Your unit knows what caches you have found via geocache visits text file.

You are not doing anything wrong. The CO does not work like other GPS units. It does not change the icons. It marks the cache found in the Geocache application and adds an entry to geocachevisits.txt file

You are not doing anything wrong. The CO does not work like other GPS units. It does not change the icons. It marks the cache found in the Geocache application and adds an entry to geocachevisits.txt file

So how will I know which caches I have found when I look at Mapsource? There has to be someway to show the found caches.

So how will I know which caches I have found when I look at Mapsource? There has to be someway to show the found caches.

Why do you need to show the found ones in Mapsource from the unit??

If you log them as found on the website - next time you run a PQ - just exclude caches you found - then update your Colorado with the newest GPX file. If you need to see your finds - run the special "my finds PQ" on the website - map in Mapsource or in Google Earth.

You should update the GPX(s) on the unit frequently to make sure you are caching with only the latest/freshest data.

There is no automated way to see the "found" caches in Mapsource.

As mentioned above, the CO/OR keeps the list of found caches in the file geocachevisits.txt which you can upload directly to the geocaching.com website.

You need to rethink how you manage geocaches now that you have a CO/OR.

As mentioned above, the CO/OR keeps the list of found caches in the file geocachevisits.txt which you can upload directly to the geocaching.com website.

I guess this is true. Maybe tracking a few finds is not too important but if I was gone for a week I might want to track the ones found over the week. That way it would be easier to update geocaching.com.

I guess this is true. Maybe tracking a few finds is not too important but if I was gone for a week I might want to track the ones found over the week. That way it would be easier to update geocaching.com.

No problem - the unit keeps track in the above mentioned text file on the unit. Then you load that file up to the website to aid in logging. See this page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx

Field notes man, fields notes. The greatest thing since sliced bread. You don't have to keep track of anything.