Are coins still viable for the original purpose?

neologis

I saw the coins shortly after discovering geocaching and thought it was a great idea. The more I am reading it seems it has become more for collecting then for "traveling". If I do not want it to become part of a collection and want it to actually accomplish its task should I just go ahead and use a travel bug?

Coins are made to travel and be collectibles and tradeables and wearable and dipable and.... the list goes on.

Collectible coins are bought and paid for (or even traded or given) by the collector just as travellers are bought and paid for (or even traded or given) before they are activated and released. Collectors DO NOT build their collections using other people's trackable items.... thieves do.

Still.... thieves do exist so if you'd rather release a travel bug than a coin it's up to you but TBs get lost just as coins do. C'est la vie, mon cher!

Collectors DO NOT build their collections using other people's trackable items.... thieves do.

Too true. Yes, there is a chance your coin wil go missing (sadly, the chances decrease if it gets leaves or never comes to the USA). But the collectors will not add your coin to their collections. I still send out coins, even though they come up missing often. The ones I really like, though...I buy 2.

I am always very, very happy when I find a travelling coin in a cache, thats why I keep on sending them out in the world to share them with other cachers.

So far I was lucky, only 2 of my travellers are MIA (but both are Birkas, Waaah)

I still think that Coins are mainly made to travel, but some don't have much chance to go very far because they are too beautiful... Thats why I usually buy two of them, so I have one to look at while the other one travels. And I love it, when someone puts pictures of my coins in their log. It's like that garden gnome in the film "Amelie" :lol: