Most interesting geocoin/travel bug goals that you have seen.

TheWilliams

Most of the coins or bugs I have come across have common goals like visiting every state or just moving from cache to cache.

Have any of you ever come across any out of the ordinary goals that are unusual, funny, or seemingly impossible?

Thought we might get a few interesting stories. Also, I hope to get some ideas for two new coins that I need to place.

I once had a TB that wanted to be photographed with yellow cars ...

Do you have a yellow car? I would have had to find one. I could just imagine trying to explain to my workmate why I am photographing a "keychain" on the hood of his yellow VW bug.

Edited by TheWilliams

Most of the coins or bugs I have come across have common goals like visiting every state or just moving from cache to cache.

Have any of you ever come across any out of the ordinary goals that are unusual, funny, or seemingly impossible?

Thought we might get a few interesting stories. Also, I hope to get some ideas for two new coins that I need to place.

Ran into one travel bug that asked to be kissed by pretty girls. Handled a geocoin that wanted to visit police stations. Needless to say, the first one was the most fun!

• Love 1

Ran into one travel bug that asked to be kissed by pretty girls. Handled a geocoin that wanted to visit police stations. Needless to say, the first one was the most fun!

Lol! I hope you brought the second one with you while trying to accomplish the first one's goal. Especially if approaching random pretty girls who have not heard of geocaching.

Edited by TheWilliams

I grabbed a TB that wanted to go to Alaska and have its picture taken with a moose (and oddly, the TB was a photo of a ferret). I got the TB as far as the Yukon Territory, and the next cacher in line was able to finish the job:

0a98c230-4748-4f4b-9d52-ead86152d858.jpg

I also picked up a TB that wanted specifically to travel to Japan, and visit a statue of Godzilla near Hibaya Park, Tokyo. We had a hard time communicating "Godzilla" to the locals, but we found it, eventually!

68888833-50bc-4f97-afe4-6844ebce38c6.jpg

Since it's been a few years, let's hear some new ideas.

I recently had one created in memory of someone's son who loved fine wine and food (who doesn't). It had a goal of visiting wine county and other places of fine food.

I also just dropped one with a goal of visiting haunted places.

I moved one that wanted to have its picture taken with drinks. And another one that wanted its picture taken with wildflowers.

I think about putting more picture taking goals with my travel bugs but find people seem to take pictures so rarely that it's not worth it to make it a goal. The wild flower and drink ones had hardly any pictures on them (I did add to their galleries).

I launched one in November of last year in honour of my first grandchildren. Twin Boys . Its two pacifiers with the bug and its goal is to have its picture taken with other twins. But unfortunatly its been in the hands of same cacher since end of Nov. and never moved. Hope it gets out their for the caching season when familes are out.

This one is a lot of fun.

There's a trip planned this weekend to capture it back to our side of the state.

That's really cool!

I picked one up that wanted it's picture taken with food. A surfboard that wanted to visit surf spots around the world.

On a side note, one of my generic goal TB's made it to and had it's picture taken at the Super Bowl, I thought that was a pretty cool photo for a TB to get randomly.

I picked one up that wanted it's picture taken with food.

I picked one up that had the same goal. I posted a photo of it with a celebrity chef (Remy, the rat chef in Ratatouille).

I also picked up a TB once of a Lion. It had a simple goal to go to a city in Maine. I brought it to Rome and dipped it into a cache at the Colosseum before bringing it back to the states.

Found one today that was dropped off in Florida on someone's honeymoon. It just wants to travel for 10 years and then the owners will travel to where it ends up and collect it! Too Cool!

Who here is hoping it ends up on the ISS cache?

Also, is there a souvenir for that? Like a state souvenir, but y'know.... in space?

We picked up one at Geowoodstock last summer of Mrs. Chip. She wanted to travel to Disney World. As it happened, we were planning a trip in November, so I emailed the owner and asked if they wanted me to hold onto Mrs Chip and take her with me or was that too long of a wait. They replied they would be so happy for me to hold her and take her to Disney. I released her in a cache near Disney after taking her to the Disney production of Beauty and the Beast.

Personally we have one of the cartoon character Rita Malone, from the movie Flushed Away, her goal is to travel to England. She is currently in Michigan I believe.

One that I have right now want to visit mountain-tops and bars. I can help with the bars...the mountain-tops, not so much.

Another one that I have wants to go to Orlando. Nothing odd about that, true, but the poor thing has been going in circles near Seattle for nearlya year. Has a grand total of 80 mile or so on it.

My favorite was Pete the Party Pelican. He wanted to go to parties, so (with permission) we took him to every party we went to for a whole Summer. We put him in a cache in the Fall, and he promptly vanished. Dammit.

I moved one that wanted to have its picture taken with drinks. And another one that wanted its picture taken with wildflowers.

I think about putting more picture taking goals with my travel bugs but find people seem to take pictures so rarely that it's not worth it to make it a goal. The wild flower and drink ones had hardly any pictures on them (I did add to their galleries).

I submitted a request on one of the forum threads to add the ability to attach photos via the iPhone app. Hey, if you can attach a photo to a cache log, then why not a trackables log!?

Most interesting TB I have found was "Aunt Emma.". Cremains that want to travel the world since a spinster travel agent afraid of flying met her dream man through booking amazing trips for him. They fell in love and planned a fabulous honeymoon. She died of natural causes a week before the wedding and he died a week later of a broken heart. Her remains are meant to travel to all the places she would have gone with her beloved groom. She was in a Baggie in a small plastic jar.

Edited by Sam2011

Not sure if this is the most interesting we have seen but it is one of our trackables that has recently achieved its goal.

A few years ago I picked up a trade item from a cache that was an eiffel tower key chain. At the time I said I would use this key chain until we went to Paris which wasn't even a plan at the time. Fast forward to April 2011 and we went to Paris. I created a travel bug with the eiffel tower and we dropped it off in Paris with the goal of seeing how long it would take to get back to our cache (near where I originally got the eiffel tower) where we started it from. The travel bug was picked up the same day we dropped it off and then saw no movement for quite awhile and I thought that was the end of it. Eventually the cachers dropped it off and it was travelling around Europe but mostly in Germany for the last year and a bit. The travel bug made it back home to the cache it started from in just over 15 months! I am turning it back into a key chain and when ever I return to Paris I will release it again and see if it can make it back a second time. We are located in BC and the travel bug logged just over 20,000km.

Our second travel bug has the goal of travelling around, with the hopes of making it to Europe, and we will one day go and pick it up. This bug was released in Aug 2009 and a year and a half later made it all the way to the Czech Republic. When we were in France we were hoping to go get it but it didn't travel close enough for it to be possible. Our travel bug is now in Germany and has travelled almost 30,000 km. We still haven't given up on going and getting it one day. When we do go to get it we haven't decided if we will just visit it or bring it home.

There are a lot of good cachers out there who want to see travel bugs succeed in their goals and we were fortunate to have them help our bug achieve its goal.

I picked up a geocoin today that wants to visit every county in the UK before returning to 'The Lock Ness Monster' in North Yorkshire. Not too weird, but apparently it got lost in the south east of England before someone grabbed it on Lanzarote and brought it to Belgium where I found it...

There are some trackables with weird goals...

I picked up a geocoin today that wants to visit every county in the UK before returning to 'The Lock Ness Monster' in North Yorkshire. Not too weird, but apparently it got lost in the south east of England before someone grabbed it on Lanzarote and brought it to Belgium where I found it...

There are some trackables with weird goals...

This one is trying to make it to William Shatner.

And this one of mine only wants to go to high D/T caches, or puzzle caches, or long hike caches... in 8 months it's only made it to one cache beyond the one I put it in... but I'm hoping this sort of mission will give it a long life - only the dedicated cachers will find it! :)

I love TB's almost as much, if not more than caching itself. I use only plastic coated (green) cable and ferrules to attach them. One TB that I thought was great was a book that requested each person write, draw or journal something on each page. When the book was full it was sent back to the owner. I released mine two years ago and it was just picked up from the cache it languished in. I'm afraid it still may languish. So I created another one. If I could remember the first TB I mentioned I'd link it.

I have a Travel bug that started its journey on 03/15/2006. It has a goal of logging 2000 caches anywhere in the world. Well it made it to Czech Republic probably 4 years ago. It was lost for three years and not too long ago it was found and started to travel again. It has been traveling for over 7 years and over 15,000 miles. I think this is awesome and hope that someday it will either complete its goal and come home or come back to the US

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=268634 (I hope that works)

Edited by Midnightlion

I found a nice one of a little viking figure who wanted to visit caches near the coast. I just picked one up that had very specific missions: first go to America, then to Africa, etc. then eventually back home. I'm proud to say that I helped it to achieve its first mission by taking it to America. I also found the Eifel Tower TB mentioned above, and took it to a nice place in Switzerland. I never really saw the point of trackables but some of these creative missions make a l;ot of sense. I especially like the idea of the one with the box attached which is to collect some item and then go back to the owner. I might steal that idea for a trackable myself.

This TB wants to have it's photo taken with flip flops.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4447295

I'm the only cacher to have posted the requisite photo so far. This seems pretty typical. Most people don't bother with photo goals.

I sent out a spark plug from my car, which wants photos taken with other cars:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/gallery.aspx?ID=4392429

It's been going 8 months and I got one photo with a car.

I moved on this trackable

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=656030

It wants is a photo with whoever moves it on. It's been going 6 years and I'm the only one who met that goal.

Another favourite was this trackable which can only go in caches beginning with E:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3021008

I always try to meet the trackable goal if I can. But I think most people don't bother, which is a shame.

Edited by xxsuperjohn
  • Love 1

The trackable I just picked up has a goal of being changed by each person... so I'm supposed to change the traveler. They thought the tag was neat and wanted to do something fun, so they send it out and have each cacher change it.

I've got an ET doll I'm going to poke a hole in before I move it on. :)