Logging your cache as a find

Hi folks,

I am not trying to stir anything up and please don't start a sniping contest with each other, but I have a question that we have pondered for a long time. Simply put: do you log your own EC as a find? I believe it is generally thought as a no, no with traditional caches but with all the work to develop an EC should it be done? Are there any special circumstances which would justify logging your EC?

P.S. I truly hope that I have not written anything that tends to reveal my opinion on this topic because I honestly don't have one. Thanks.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Hi folks,

I am not trying to stir anything up and please don't start a sniping contest with each other, but I have a question that we have pondered for a long time. Simply put: do you log your own EC as a find? I believe it is generally thought as a no, no with traditional caches but with all the work to develop an EC should it be done? Are there any special circumstances which would justify logging your EC?

P.S. I truly hope that I have not written anything that tends to reveal my opinion on this topic because I honestly don't have one. Thanks.

Nope, you shouldn't log a find on any of your own caches. (Adopted caches can be logged if found before your adoption date.)

You can log an attended on an event that you own though. (Unless of course you have something that prevents you from attending.)

But that is just my opinion.

I think I logged one of my earthcaches when I had it set up and published for one of my CITO events and we all found it as a group. I don't see much of a difference between logging your own event or your own earthcache since don't of them don't require a cache to be hidden and found. Just my two cents.

Seems like the same don't it. :(

It may!

I know a geocacher up here who has had run-ins with some other cachers and has had his finds deleted by the hundreds. Yep, hundreds. You know what he does to reclaim the legit finds? He logs them on one of his caches. He puts the date, gc number, etc and logs away.

He found the caches but because some cachers don't like him, they delete.

I posed the question on the forums about the deletions and 95% of the cachers said the original logs shouldn't have been deleted if the caches were found legitimately.

Thank God I haven't had logs deleted but I cannot blame the 'deleted' cacher for doing what he does. :P

sounds like a cacher with a bad reputation.

Yes, the cacher did develop a bad reputation but those who deleted his finds have worse reputations. It started out when two cachers got together and didn't invite their friend and fellow cacher to a geocaching award dinner. He felt slighted and sent some nasty messages to the two cachers and then it all went downhill. In their infinite wisdom, the two cachers decided to delete any legit log that he made. They also tried to recruit others for their deletion campaign and were successful to a limited extent.

I actually warned them not to do this (the deletions) as it would escalate the problem and only prolong it.

Well it did escalate and many cachers were drawn into the problem. Accusations flew back and forth from both sides and each accused each other of some pretty despicable behavior. The poor cacher who had all of his logs deleted actually was accused of taking caches and/or vandalizing them. No one ever witnessed that kind of behavior but one of the two who started the deletions was witnessed throwing away and vandalizing related caches!

For the record, I am not on either side and was not involved with the deletions.

Right now, there is kind of an uneasy truce.

Sorry folks, we are slightly off topic but is there any condition where you would claim one of your caches as a find? The above sad story is one example of where a cacher uses his caches to reclaim deleted finds. (See post number 14)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

sounds like a cacher with a bad reputation.

Yes, the cacher did develop a bad reputation but those who deleted his finds have worse reputations. It started out when two cachers got together and didn't invite their friend and fellow cacher to a geocaching award dinner. He felt slighted and sent some nasty messages to the two cachers and then it all went downhill. In their infinite wisdom, the two cachers decided to delete any legit log that he made. They also tried to recruit others for their deletion campaign and were successful to a limited extent.

I actually warned them not to do this (the deletions) as it would escalate the problem and only prolong it.

Well it did escalate and many cachers were drawn into the problem. Accusations flew back and forth from both sides and each accused each other of some pretty despicable behavior. The poor cacher who had all of his logs deleted actually was accused of taking caches and/or vandalizing them. No one ever witnessed that kind of behavior but one of the two who started the deletions was witnessed throwing away and vandalizing related caches!

For the record, I am not on either side and was not involved with the deletions.

Right now, there is kind of an uneasy truce.

Sorry folks, we are slightly off topic but is there any condition where you would claim one of your caches as a find? The above sad story is one example of where a cacher uses his caches to reclaim deleted finds. (See post number 14)

It is ad to see something like that happen.

-------

Getting back on track.......

It's all about the numbers. I've seen that proved over and over again.

Fortunately I can honestly say that numbers are not one of the things that drives me. So in answer to your question I would have to say no.

-------

Getting back on track.......

It's all about the numbers. I've seen that proved over and over again.

Fortunately I can honestly say that numbers are not one of the things that drives me. So in answer to your question I would have to say no.

danieloliveira,

I am in your camp.

I wouldn't log my own cache as a find. I didn't want to give my opinion when starting the thread because I

really wanted your thoughts and not a confirmation of my approach and as usual you guys "told it like it is".

The only exception that I would make is like the situation I outlined in Post Number 14 in this thread.

Personally, I haven't had any of my logs deleted but if I really wanted to count a deleted find, I "may" resort to using some other cache to log the deleted find.

Otherwise, I just would not do it. I think it is perfectly fine to do so, but I didn't even log the Meet that we sponsored as a find (attended).

I must be an old fuddy duddy! At least the old part is true! :)