What is the proper etiquette when finding multiple Travel Bugs and/or GeoCoins in the same cache?

Douce Us 5

I have read logs where people have taken multiple bugs or coins from the same cache and logged them as being found. I'm not sure if that's something that's looked at as a positive by the bug or coin owner by keeping them moving, or if it's considered hogging them so other cachers aren't able to find them. I have found multiple bugs in the same cache, a cache that hasn't been found in a few weeks, and only took one. Now I'm wondering if I should have taken both........not sure. Thanks in advance.

DouceUs5

There are going to be some people who feel that taking some or all the bugs isn't sharing. This isn't about sharing. This is about people who release bugs to be moved and people who move them, and the people who spout 'don't move bugs' really need to stay the heck out of it. Travel bugs are meant to travel.

It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 20 if you can assist the bug, do it.

As a person with a lot of TBs out there waiting to move I sure wish people would move them more frequently. I released my TBs to move, not to sit dormant waiting to be shared or discovered by everybody. If lots of people get to discover or move one of my TB that's great, but it's not it's mission. Say for example if you move all 4 TBs out of a cache you don't know what will happen after you leave. Maybe the very next cacher might leave 4 TBs so eventually it all balances out in the long run. Happy caching!!!!! :sad:

I also feel that travel bugs should be moved from cache to cache more quickly than they sometimes are.I have one that has been stuck in a cache for quite awhile...I hope someone rescues it soon.Anytime I see a travelbug or geocoin,I trade for it and move it along within a week or so at the most.I like to see them get as many miles as possible.I am hoping that mine eventually make their way to other countries after completing their original goals.

I have a related question. I am leaving on a trip to Turks and Caico's next week. I am thinking of grabbing several TB's (5-10) and taking them all with me. I will drop them in a cache, photo them, retrieve them, and then bring them back and re-distribute them locally. This will give the bugs mileage and memories but ensure they get back safely. Is this proper or ok, or would this be frowned upon? I want to do the right thing.

I have a related question. I am leaving on a trip to Turks and Caico's next week. I am thinking of grabbing several TB's (5-10) and taking them all with me. I will drop them in a cache, photo them, retrieve them, and then bring them back and re-distribute them locally. This will give the bugs mileage and memories but ensure they get back safely. Is this proper or ok, or would this be frowned upon? I want to do the right thing.

If you are following the general mission of the bugs, sure go for it. If you will be hanging on to them for a while you might want to post a note of your plan. You probably won't hear any complaints, but just in case.

I will drop them in a cache, photo them, retrieve them, and then bring them back and re-distribute them locally. This will give the bugs mileage and memories but ensure they get back safely.

Hmm... if some of the bugs have no specific mission and only want to travel, why not just simply drop them on your trip, instead of bringng them back locally? This way they can continue seeing more of the world than just the states.

Interesting thread - I too travel but have found finding TB in my local caches more consistently than in caches at some of the destinations that I go to. My intent is to do a swap to bring to help the TB on their missions and to bring TB back to my local area for other cachers to enjoy. Seeing this as more one way traffic I'm conscious of depleting TB in my local area. Its a view point that is worth bearing in mind. Some cachers like to see the various TB's so moving lots does potentially deprive other cachers in the area of some fun :rolleyes:

There's a new urban ammo can cache by me and on it's the 2nd day after release someone from Germany dropped 10 bugs from all over Europe. It was great to see them all in one cache. I took three and moved them on. I think 10 is fine if it's going to a busy area, check out target caches and see how often they get found.

Also make sure the move is not contrary to it's mission. I recently picked up a bug with 8k miles that had completed it's mission and was within 100 miles of home when the cacher before me moved it 300 miles in opposite direction.

Edited by AlienHeads

There's a new urban ammo can cache by me and on it's the 2nd day after release someone from Germany dropped 10 bugs from all over Europe. It was great to see them all in one cache. I took three and moved them on. I think 10 is fine if it's going to a busy area, check out target caches and see how often they get found.

Also make sure the move is not contrary to it's mission. I recently picked up a bug with 8k miles that had completed it's mission and was within 100 miles of home when the cacher before me moved it 300 miles in opposite direction.

I forgot to add: The cacher who brought the bugs from Germany had placed logs stating he was going to take them to the States in the Chicago area and on what date. He then asked that if they wanted them to stay local to drop him a note. He had spent several weeks collecting them.

Edited by AlienHeads

Interesting thread - I too travel but have found finding TB in my local caches more consistently than in caches at some of the destinations that I go to. My intent is to do a swap to bring to help the TB on their missions and to bring TB back to my local area for other cachers to enjoy. Seeing this as more one way traffic I'm conscious of depleting TB in my local area. Its a view point that is worth bearing in mind. Some cachers like to see the various TB's so moving lots does potentially deprive other cachers in the area of some fun :laughing:

I think if you are in a TB rich environment, any bugs you move out of the area will be replenished by new ones. The flip side is that by taking the bugs or coins to new destinations, you are also give other cachers who don't have as many trackables to move a chance to join in the fun and see new bugs for themselves. Alot of win all the way around.

Bruce

I have read logs where people have taken multiple bugs or coins from the same cache and logged them as being found. I'm not sure if that's something that's looked at as a positive by the bug or coin owner by keeping them moving, or if it's considered hogging them so other cachers aren't able to find them. I have found multiple bugs in the same cache, a cache that hasn't been found in a few weeks, and only took one. Now I'm wondering if I should have taken both........not sure. Thanks in advance.

DouceUs5

One additional consideration is whether or not you are trading or just taking the travel bugs. Even though travel bugs are NOT trade items and should be moved freely, there are still cachers (many of which are travel bug hotel prison owners) which still get bent out of shape if they perceive you are "cleaning out" their cache. (Note: We are NOT suggesting that all or even most travel bug hotel owners are this way, just some.) Most of these prison wardens would still not object too much if you took all the travel bugs, but dropped a similar amount.

Good luck in your geocaching endeavors!