DeLorme PN-40 sensitivity improved?

I did notice last week when I took it out I was not getting "poor accuracy" on the screen under tree cover, but I didn't really think about it until now. :sad:

The "Poor Accuracy" is for the built in compass and means that there is something interfering (probably something metal or magnetic) with just the compass and not the actual GPS

Or the compass just needs to be calibrated. That's something most folks forget to do when putting in fresh batteries. It only takes half a minute but some people think this is a hassle. It's worth the effort for the compass to work right and the GPS will then correctly orient you according to the bearing you're facing when you are standing still.

Or the compass just needs to be calibrated. That's something most folks forget to do when putting in fresh batteries. It only takes half a minute but some people think this is a hassle. It's worth the effort for the compass to work right and the GPS will then correctly orient you according to the bearing you're facing when you are standing still.

A consideration for using an RCRV3, rechargeable Li-Ion, battery pack and charging in while in the PN-40, via a USB power source.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I just came back from a cache hunt. The GPS indicated 7-8' EPE but my obviously high error track wasn't giving me a high level of confidence. At one point a straight in and straight out spur trail jaunt of only 30 feet indicated I made a wide loop.

So, looking at the satellite page, I noted 5 birds visible, in a straight line and locked with no WAAS. Not that I gave WAAS much of a chance. Too many people about kept my GPS in the side pocket with brief looks at it until I found the appropriate path to take.

My Magellan experience took over and I slowed down, and that signal took me to within 10 feet of my target where I quickly located the cache. The track is pretty ugly, but the end result is spot on.

Edited by TotemLake