what is this coins rarity?

lamp820

o.k. so the other day I decided I wanted to start a geocoin collection. I went on ebay and won a bid on o cool cool. It was about 10$. I'm not sure what its name is, but its a cache in an oyster and on the back it has the tracking number and it says June 2006. I have sveral questions about it.

1.did I get a get a good deal?

2.was I ripped off?

3.is it rare?

4.is it worth a lot?

Better to read the forums here to see what's available, how people acquire coins, and what people are talking about. Rare is a hard question......most anything can be traded for. But you have to have something to trade. You do have to put some time in (and money). :sad:

I've been thinking about this question. I don't mean to sound flip, but if you think you got a good deal, then you got a good deal. You will find that coin collecting is highly addictive (that would be a great coin! LOL!) You will find yourself eating PBJ sandwiches for a week, begging for certain coins, lurking in the forums all hours of the day and night.. and etc., JUST to get that one coin you HAVE to have! Keep reading, keep visiting the forums, keep collecting and you will sort it all out. Soon, you will come to find that you like a certain type of coin and want to collect the whole set/series. Then... you feel the urge to design and mint your own persnal coin and sig item. If you want to make money with coin collecting.. well I don't know that it's possible as once the bug bites.. you will be spending any money you make on "futures" on purchasing coins for your own collection. That's where trades come in. As has been said, first you have to have something to trade. So... good luck and happy coining!

I'm going to make my next fortune in designing a 12 step program for coiners. Not only will I be the director, I will also be a client!

I'm off to bake a pound cake, think about my personal coin design, and to await Tsun's Earth Turtle sale. Woot woot!

Oh.. Happy raceday to everyone. Got mint??

1. Did you get a good deal? I would say it was a fair deal, you bid what you wanted to pay, in my book that's fair.

2. Were you ripped off? See answer to 1.

3. Is it rare? Had it been rare then I doubt you would have won the auction for ten bucks.

4. Is it worth a lot? I would say it is worth what you paid for it at most, alternatively one could argue that it is worth what you can get for it if you sell it.

I always value a coin for it's aesthetic value, others have different criteria. If your interest in coins has been heightened by visiting the coin forum, one word of advice, budget. Don't look too often and don't get carried away at ebay, quite often coins quoted as sold out and VHTF (very hard to find) can be traded for or purchased from the original vendor. Watch and learn before jumping in the deep end. Most of all have fun.

As Tooey said if it was rare it would not have sold for $10. The days of finding treasure at Ebay for pennies on the dollar are few and far between.

FYI.... a nice price for coins direct from the vendour is about $10 + shipping so whenever you can get one that's no longer for sale for that price you're doing well. And watch the shipping charges - in one auction for a micro coin the seller wanted $8.99 in s&h fees, that's twice what the coin originally cost and it was still available from the vendour!!

As Tooey said if it was rare it would not have sold for $10. The days of finding treasure at Ebay for pennies on the dollar are few and far between.

FYI.... a nice price for coins direct from the vendour is about $10 + shipping so whenever you can get one that's no longer for sale for that price you're doing well. And watch the shipping charges - in one auction for a micro coin the seller wanted $8.99 in s&h fees, that's twice what the coin originally cost and it was still available from the vendour!!

Yep.. seems to be a flood of those micro coins on ebay right now with the 8.99 shipping for a coin that only costs 3.54 plus a few bucks shipping buying direct from the vendor. I can't believe people just don't spend a few minutes to search for the name of the geocoin before bidding to find a direct source cheaper.