Maps and Charts Together

Hey GPSers!

I have a software feasibility question. As a Garmin GPSMap 76Cx user who kayaks and hikes on fairly lengthy trips, I've often wished I could display topographic maps and nautical charts at the same time. Lately, I've been looking at transparent third-party maps as a way to do this.

My question is: If I was using a Garmin Bluechart as a base, with a topo map as a transparent overlay, could I achieve this dream? They make trail transparencies for topo maps, and they make topo maps which are themselves transparent. Couldn't I use a topo transparency on top of a Bluechart?

I've been unable to find any information on this topic. I can't believe I'm the only one who's ever wanted to do this. Any thoughts?

Alex

Hey GPSers!

My question is: If I was using a Garmin Bluechart as a base, with a topo map as a transparent overlay, could I achieve this dream? They make trail transparencies for topo maps, and they make topo maps which are themselves transparent. Couldn't I use a topo transparency on top of a Bluechart?

I have created custom maps with custom navigational lines (a dotted and dashed line in red) using a .typ file. In my 60CSx it worked fine with U.S. Inland Lakes on my Oregon 400c that same line would not display until I changed the line to a non custom line and used a standard Hwy. code with .typ file to determine color. I see no reason a transparent topo shouldn't work. The water bodies in Blue Chart may not let some of the custom topo features display as was the case with my custom dotted & dashed line but in your case since all topo lines will be on shore I don't forsee any problems with topo land contours.

edit: I'd be interested in what type of results you actually get after trying it.

Edited by eaparks
I'd be interested in what type of results you actually get after trying it.

It'll be at least a year, since I'm overseas right now. Thank you for the input; you've given me hope that I just might be able to create the ultimate kayak-camping nav aid!

When you say that some "custom topo features" might not display, what do you mean? Are you talking about, say, an island whose name text runs into the water and gets "overwritten" by the chart data?

Alex

I don't think you would run into a problem with text as you referred to in your above example, but you are on the right track of what I am trying to convey. In GPSMapEdit the features all have their unique codes, for purposes of our discussion let's call these GPSMapEdit codes. Where I ran into the problem was with a custom made line that I created using an XPM image that was not a GPSMapEdit code.

Edited by eaparks
Where I ran into the problem was with a custom made line that I created using an XPM image that was not a GPSMapEdit code.

Well that would be an issue for whomever created the topo transparency, I think. As long as the creator used standard GPSMapEdit codes to generate the topo map features, it shouldn't be a problem.

Again, thanks for your interest. I am still surpised that no one else has apparently done this. In the kayak camping community, there is debate among GPS users over whether to use topo maps or charts. The intuitive choice is to go for charts - charts show nautical features, kayaks travel on water, go with charts. But kayaks aren't anchoring out or using buoys or shipping lanes, and their draft is about four inches. Charts are of limited utility to a kayaker in my opinion. Kayakers do, however, need to find places to land their boats, and once ashore they need sources of fresh water for drinking, and even the location hiking trails so they can stretch their legs. For these reasons I always use topo maps.

To me, the obvious solution to the chart/map controversy is to have both. Apparently, I'm the only one who thinks so!

Alex

To me, the obvious solution to the chart/map controversy is to have both. Apparently, I'm the only one who thinks so!

I expect most kayakers would rather spend their time kayaking than dealing with the learning curve necessary to make their own maps. Is not anyone using both, and simply swithcing between them? I would expect there would be alienment and scale issues between the two. Transparency is somewhat misleading as they function more as an overlay. A lot can change in a year.