were to find cheap gpses?(is that a word?)

dediles

;)

i have a tight buget some thing under 100 dollors, doesn't have to be fancy just needs to get me close.

please help!

I bought my first GPS for $40 on Ebay. Do a search for "etrex" on Ebay. The yellow is the bottom of the line but it is the first GPS I ever used. I believe it can be had new for under $90 at Amazon. It's up to you. I don't think you'll find one under $100 in a brick and mortar (in person) store.

Scott

Can't go wrong on eBay. Any of the eTrex series of Garmin's GPSr will work great. The yellow eTrex is fine (cheapest) but you could consider the Legend, Summit, Vista if you can get one for a price that fits your budget.

It's a good thing to know that the Yellow eTrex and the Legend don't have an electronic compass. Some feel that's a valuable feature and is available on the Summit and Vista.

These are older units, thus a good used market exists.

One final consideration is whether you want a high sensitivity receiver. I think for a starter GPS you don't really have to have it. Just know what under heavy tree cover you'll suffer some reception problems.

I just looked at eBay and found a few of the Yellow eTrex H models for under $100. You can get the older non H (high sensitivity) models most for under $100.

My recommendation would be the eTrex Vista (some have sold for under $100 on eBay lately - but some went as high as $125 and didn't sell).

Save that, you could go with the Summit. It has a few less features but still has electronic compass - easily attainable for under $100.

Then - start saving, cause you'll love it so much you'll want to go paperless eventually which will require an upgrade.

Enjoy the journey!

gpses?(is that a word?)

Not sure you would find it in a dictionary, but I've usually seen it as GPSr around here. The r=receiver.

Not sure how you would make it plural, but I would add 's to it. (GPSr's) I am sure someone will correct me on that.

I know this wasn't your main question, but that was answered quite well by earlier posters. And while this part of your post may have been a rhetorical question, I thought I would throw that out there also. :sad:

gpses?(is that a word?)

Not sure you would find it in a dictionary, but I've usually seen it as GPSr around here. The r=receiver.

Not sure how you would make it plural, but I would add 's to it. (GPSr's) I am sure someone will correct me on that.

I know this wasn't your main question, but that was answered quite well by earlier posters. And while this part of your post may have been a rhetorical question, I thought I would throw that out there also. :sad:

The "S" is gps stands for system. Since there is only one Global Positioning System, it can't be pluralized. The system consists of satellites and GPS receivers. GPSr's is probably the correct abbreviation in this case.

i have a tight buget some thing under 100 dollors, doesn't have to be fancy just needs to get me close.

The eTrex Venture HC is slightly above your budget. Amazon price fluctuates between $110 and $130. You may be able to find a used one under $100.

It has a color screen, some internal memory for maps, good battery life, high sensitivity receiver, and a USB connector for downloading waypoints from the computer. The eTrex H requires you to use a special serial cable.

I see ads on TV about new GPSs for $80-90. It may have been during a sale, but they're out there in your "local" stores. (Walmart, Target, Kohl's...) - I just don't remember what brand or what dept. store! :sad:

You can view their websites to see what's available w/o having to drive from store-to-store. :D

Can't go wrong on eBay. Any of the eTrex series of Garmin's GPSr will work great. The yellow eTrex is fine (cheapest) but you could consider the Legend, Summit, Vista if you can get one for a price that fits your budget.

It's a good thing to know that the Yellow eTrex and the Legend don't have an electronic compass. Some feel that's a valuable feature and is available on the Summit and Vista.

These are older units, thus a good used market exists.

One final consideration is whether you want a high sensitivity receiver. I think for a starter GPS you don't really have to have it. Just know what under heavy tree cover you'll suffer some reception problems.

I just looked at eBay and found a few of the Yellow eTrex H models for under $100. You can get the older non H (high sensitivity) models most for under $100.

My recommendation would be the eTrex Vista (some have sold for under $100 on eBay lately - but some went as high as $125 and didn't sell).

Save that, you could go with the Summit. It has a few less features but still has electronic compass - easily attainable for under $100.

Then - start saving, cause you'll love it so much you'll want to go paperless eventually which will require an upgrade.

Enjoy the journey!

thanks for the advice.got a basic yellow etrex of ebay for 50$, a discontinued modle. i'll see how it works, as a new geocacher I don't know much, but i love tresure hunts. oh and for those of you who posted coments about the question in ()'s it was JUST A JOKE ok i did not need to know?

dediles out!, peace!

Edited by dediles

Also check Recyling centers! That's where we got one of ours.

-Rozie

Wow - cool, recycling centers. . . never thought of that but makes sense if you are in a more urban area - where I live there is no such thing which is truly a shame :sad:

@ OP - Glad to be of help - hope you enjoy your eTrex. Good news - it's yellow, water resistant, durable and it will 'get you close'.

Hang on - your are in for a true addiction. . . . .

...snip...My recommendation would be the eTrex Vista (some have sold for under $100 on eBay lately - but some went as high as $125 and didn't sell)....snip...

MEC.ca has the legend for $125CDN locally, is this an okay starter or should i go $165 for the VISTA or go used?

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing...D=1241354377653

or is there on one from GPScity.ca that would be a better bang for the buck.

i'd like to keep it as close to $150CDN as possible

http://www.gpscity.ca/search/q=handheld+gp...=Garmin&r=3

Edited by brucered

The "S" is gps stands for system. Since there is only one Global Positioning System, it can't be pluralized. The system consists of satellites and GPS receivers. GPSr's is probably the correct abbreviation in this case.

You can call yours Fred if you want to.

I call mine a GCM

Geo- caching machine.

i'ts all I use it for anyway... :rolleyes:

[The "S" is gps stands for system. Since there is only one Global Positioning System, it can't be pluralized. The system consists of satellites and GPS receivers. GPSr's is probably the correct abbreviation in this case.

I believe that the plural of GPSr would be GPSrs. It's not the "System" being pluralized, it's the receiver.