Trying to Geocache in Shenzhen

Hello all! I am from the United States and am in Shenzhen, China for another week on business. I of course wanted to grab my first International geocache while over here and I also have a Travel Bug that I wanted to drop off and give it a mission of making it back to the states.

Only problem is that I cannot get my GPSr to detect ANY satellites.

Anyone else have these problems that can help me?

Hello all! I am from the United States and am in Shenzhen, China for another week on business. I of course wanted to grab my first International geocache while over here and I also have a Travel Bug that I wanted to drop off and give it a mission of making it back to the states.

Only problem is that I cannot get my GPSr to detect ANY satellites.

Anyone else have these problems that can help me?

my garmin has a menu voice "New Location" thats is needed if u move the unit more than 600 miles, so the units looks for different satellite

Or just let the unit sit somewhere with a good view of the sky for a few minutes. Eventually it'll figure out where it is. (That menu option will just speed things up a bit.)

When you turn a GPS receiver on, it assumes it's in the same part of the world as the last time it was turned on. With that assumption, and knowing the current date and time, it assumes it knows which satellites are overhead, and looks only for those. If you've just gotten off a plane, that assumption is wrong, and eventually the unit figures out it has to start over from scratch, looking for all possible satellites. This takes longer.

Or just let the unit sit somewhere with a good view of the sky for a few minutes. Eventually it'll figure out where it is. (That menu option will just speed things up a bit.)

It will probably take longer than a few minutes. Some people have reported as much as 15 or 20 minutes wait for a GPS to figure out where it is.

Jamie