Micro SD card for 60CSx

Hey Steve!

Yes, this model works in the CSX, provided the card is genuine. It probably is given the seller's feedback percentage on Ebay.

But how about getting an 8gb card?

Smiles,

Andy

I was told by a Garmin tech rep to not use over 2GB card?

What size card should I use to install entire Topo 2008 and have enough for waypoints etc?

I've never used micro SD for anything so its new to me, I just want to make sure to use the correct one but bigger is always better right?

I see some are listed as Trans Flash or similar?? do I need an adapter?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by daddysbike

Garmin website (regarding another model GPS) advised that cards over 2GB aren't supported. Does anyone know if they can be partitioned into 2GB chunks and read that way? Apparently the limitation has to do with the number of map tiles, not the actual files size per se.

Did a search of the GPS and Technology forum for the term "memory card 60csx" that returned several pages of threads on this. Not that I'm an expert, but the concensus seems to be that, with the latest software/firmware updates for the Map 60CSx, 4 GB is all the unit will use; still with the 2025 map segment limit. Some larger cards work, but it seems the GPS is only using 4 GB.

Standing ready to be corrected. ;)

Garmin website (regarding another model GPS) advised that cards over 2GB aren't supported. Does anyone know if they can be partitioned into 2GB chunks and read that way? Apparently the limitation has to do with the number of map tiles, not the actual files size per se.

Garmin apparently chose to give an incorrect answer that’s safe, rather than fully explain the correct answer. Last I heard, they were still giving that answer for the 60/76C(S)x series; and with the release of firmware 3.90, that answer is out of date.

It is not true that cards larger than 2 GB are not supported, and hasn’t been true since Firmware 3.20, released on March 7, 2007. Support for SCHC cards was added in that release. Since then, cards larger than 2 GB were recognized by the unit. The Card Info screen would correctly show the free space on larger cards, and the entire card was accessible in Mass Storage Mode. It was demonstrated that a 4 GB card worked this way on May 16, 2007 (basically as soon as 4 GB cards were available) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/message/5854 . It was demonstrated that a 6 GB card worked the same way on December 9, 2007 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/message/6552 . Many people have been using larger cards since then, with no problems.

However, there was still a unit firmware limitation that would not allow map file sizes larger than 2 GB to be recognized. This was independent of, and in addition to, a limitation of 2025 map segments. I suspect that Garmin didn’t want the headaches of trying to explain all this to people, many of whom would have misunderstood and then complained when they found they couldn’t load more than 2 GB of maps on their larger card. For whatever reason, Garmin has continued to say that cards larger than 2 GB were not supported.

With the latest revision to the unit firmware, 3.90, files larger than 2 GB are now supported, per the release notes; but Garmin hasn’t gotten around to updating the information on their web site. But support for cards larger than 2 GB is not a new feature of version 3.90. That’s been there for two years.

With Firmware 3.90, the limit on loading maps is 2025 map segments and something larger than 2 GB. These are independent limits and if you exceed either one, it won’t work. Since Garmin didn’t indicate a new maximum file size in the release notes, it seems likely that the new size limit is 4 GB, imposed by FAT32 formatting.

You cannot “partition” the card and read it that way; but you can create multiple files on the card for your maps and switch between them by renaming the files. The unit will only recognize the file named gmapsupp.img. You give the files you don’t want to use some other name. Renaming them can’t be done by the unit alone. You either have to connect the unit to a computer and rename the files in Mass Storage Mode, or pull the card and put it in another device (such as a phone) that can rename a file.

Did a search of the GPS and Technology forum for the term "memory card 60csx" that returned several pages of threads on this. Not that I'm an expert, but the concensus seems to be that, with the latest software/firmware updates for the Map 60CSx, 4 GB is all the unit will use; still with the 2025 map segment limit. Some larger cards work, but it seems the GPS is only using 4 GB.

Standing ready to be corrected. ;)

I've been using an 8GB SanDisk cards with no problems. The 2025 map segment limit seems to be for "enabled" map segments. I've filled the card to 8GB with a various map sets of up to 2GB per .img file each with more than 2025 segments total in each of the files. One of these files has 10 of the middle US state 24k topo files from gpsfiledepot. The 60CSx will use the file just fine as long as you keep the "enabled" full state sets down to 2 or 3 depending on the total number of segments enabled is under the 2025 limit. The 60CSx doesn't seem to care where the active gmapsupp.img file is on the card. So, no, 4GB doesn't seem to be a limit either. Been curious how a 16GB card would work, but they're still a little too spendy yet.

Edited by c_dog
I've been using an 8GB SanDisk cards with no problems. The 2025 map segment limit seems to be for "enabled" map segments. I've filled the card to 8GB with a various map sets of up to 2GB per .img file each with more than 2025 segments total in each of the files. One of these files has 10 of the middle US state 24k topo files from gpsfiledepot. The 60CSx will use the file just fine as long as you keep the "enabled" full state sets down to 2 or 3 depending on the total number of segments enabled is under the 2025 limit. The 60CSx doesn't seem to care where the active gmapsupp.img file is on the card. So, no, 4GB doesn't seem to be a limit either.

The limits being discussed are for one map set file that could be recognized by the unit. By “recognized by the unit,” I mean that the maps are useable (what you’re calling “enabled”). The point is the amount of maps you can use at a time, not how many you can carry around on the card in multiple files that have to be renamed to use them.

Of course you can have multiple files on the card. That was what I said in the last part of my previous post. But for those files to be useable, they each have to be within the limits I stated, and only one file named gmapsupp.img will be recognized ("enabled"). As far as the unit is concerned, files with any other name are meaningless, and it ignores them.

To say that 4 GB is not a limit, you would have to have more than 4 GB in one img file; and you can’t because the FAT32 formatting of the card won’t allow individual files larger than 4 GB.

You said, “I've filled the card to 8GB with a various map sets of up to 2GB per .img file each with more than 2025 segments total in each of the files.” But then you said, “The 60CSx will use the file just fine as long as you keep the "enabled" full state sets down to 2 or 3 depending on the total number of segments enabled is under the 2025 limit.” How can you keep the number of “enabled” segments below 2025 if each of your files contains more than 2025 segments?