What to trade with a found cache?

dad-and-ash

We're looking for some suggestions on what to trade when we find a cache. The caches we're going to go search for are medium to large in size. We think our 7 year old daughter will get a huge kick out of trading items. We know the rule of replacing a "taken" item with something of equal or greater value. Please give us some suggestions.

Also 2 other questions:

1. What are geo-coins and what do they do?

2. What are geo-bugs and what do tehy do?

We've heard about both of these and were just curious about them.

Well, we have our new eTrex Legend H. We're going to search for our first geo-caches this weekend. Going to start with some really easy ones, just to get our feet wet.

Wish us luck!!!

Hot wheels are usually popular for kids. carabiners, little toys and things.

Geocoins travel; you pick them up in one cache and drop them off in another cache; no need to trade items to take these.

Travel Bugs are similar, except that you attach them to other items of your choice and travel around

Some geocoins and travel bugs have a spacific purpose, so try to help them along their way

We're looking for some suggestions on what to trade when we find a cache. The caches we're going to go search for are medium to large in size. We think our 7 year old daughter will get a huge kick out of trading items. We know the rule of replacing a "taken" item with something of equal or greater value. Please give us some suggestions.

Also 2 other questions:

1. What are geo-coins and what do they do?

2. What are geo-bugs and what do tehy do?

We've heard about both of these and were just curious about them.

Well, we have our new eTrex Legend H. We're going to search for our first geo-caches this weekend. Going to start with some really easy ones, just to get our feet wet.

Wish us luck!!!

Geocoins are coins that generally are quite colorful and have a tracking number engraved on them. The idea is to log finding and dropping them on geocaching.com. The coin has a separate page and this page shows the activity on the coin and also has a map of the travels. What they do is travel from cache to cache. Travel bugs are similar but are shaped like a dog tag and generally have something attached. Again you log the picking up and dropping off on geocaching.com and each one has a separate page with their travels. Over on the left side of the geocaching.com page you can see a entry for trackable items, this is where you log them.

Jim

Returning to the original question: put in whatever you wouold like to see in a cache. The dollar store is a great place to start. Keep in minbd that caches often get wet, so paper or cardboard items generally get gross. No food (attracts animals that have a better sense of smell than people) no items you wouldn't want my children to find.

Always trade up or trade even. I currently have for trade:

• Foriegn coin packets
  • matchbox cars
  • mini beanie animals
  • rubber ducks
  • screwdrivers (out of a 50 pack)
  • emergency ponchos
  • mini tape measure
  • misc. dollar store items

Thank you so much for this, StarBrand. So much of what we see here is a list of terrible things people have put in caches and it makes it difficult for those of us who are new to understand what would be good. Your list makes it much easier to picture the right sort of things to leave.

We don't take much from caches (since we are trying to declutter the house) but we love leaving things in them in anticipation of someone finding something that makes them happy. Our stash bag currently has:

[*]Giant Monkey Erasers

[*]Sparkling Butterfly Clip-Ons

[*]Large Tube of Shimmering Beads (enough to make a friendship bracelet)

[*]Watercolor Paint Set

[*]Mini Marker Set

[*]Mini Colored Pencil Set

[*]Small Lockets

[*]Small Stuffed Lions that roar when squeezed

[*]Large Locket

[*]Large Snake Charm (for a necklace)

Everything is individually packed in ziplock bags.

If I were a young geocacher I would most want to find sparkly things or jewelry and since I know that my nieces are all fanatical shoppers at Claire's (making me think that a love of jewelry is nearly universal among little girls) my plan is to haunt the sales at Claire's and build up a stash of bracelets and necklaces that I can put in caches.

Also, I usually put a large, copper bellydance costume coin in caches as a signature item. This is temporary until I have the perfect signature item to leave.

I'd be very curious to know what is in other people's stash bags.

Carolyn

Some of the things I've placed in caches or traded:

Pins (cache related)

Erasers (fun shaped ones)

Plastic Ring stamps (high school musical/barbie)

Toy cars

Army Men

Backpack clasps

Clips

Small flashlights

Small screwdrivers

Glow sticks

As others have said, the Dollar store is a great place to check out. I tend to focus more on kids stuff because I have a daughter that goes with me. Also you can check out oriental trading, they have a lot of good stuff as well.

Thank you to everyone! You've all offered some great suggestions! We have yet to see this question asked in the forums, and thought it was important. Based on what we've read, we also managed to come up with some other ideas on our own. We just needed some much needed help. It looks like a trip to the "Dollar Store" is in order before we attemp to find our first cache tomorrow afternoon.

Just a sidenote:

Over the past month, we've been asking questions of other geocachers we've met and posted questions in the forums. It's nice to see that the "veterans of the sport" are more than willing to help those of us just getting started. Thanks!

I sometimes find small (new) items at a Goodwill store, when I'm running low on swag. - Always something I may want/like/need if I was finding it. - And I try to carry a little something for all age-groups. (Pencils, bubbles, stickers, toy cars for the kids to trade.)...I usually have a piece of jewelry to "recycle", maybe a candle, or dice for the adults. - Several x I've put a $1.00 winning scratch-off ticket in a cache.

My favorite "finds" have been the personalized Pathtags. - Gotta get my own made! :sad: