Most Accurate GPS

My husband and I are wanting to upgrade our GPS and we are looking for accuracy this time. I have tried to look through other threads to find my answer but I don't think that accuracy was touched upon. I have heard that the 60cxs, Colorado and Oregon are the top GPS' for geocaching, so which is the best?

The accuracy of those units is basically the same. You will typically get around 10 - 30 feet accuracy in a recreational GPS receiver.

So the decisions you have to make are more about "touch and feel", do you want a touchscreen, do you want "paperless caching" ability on the device, budget than accuracy.

The accuracy of those units is basically the same. You will typically get around 10 - 30 feet accuracy in a recreational GPS receiver.

So the decisions you have to make are more about "touch and feel", do you want a touchscreen, do you want "paperless caching" ability on the device, budget than accuracy.

I think my next question would be if I were to choose between the Oregon and the Colorado, is there one that I can get without any maps preloaded but all the good features. And the next part to my question is, can I take the map that is on my Nuvi and stick it on the Oregon or Colorado?

You will not be able to use the City Navigator maps from your nuvi on any other GPS units. Those maps are locked to that unit. You would need to purchase the full version of City Navigator if you were to want to load that on another GPS unit.

There may also be free maps depending upon the area in which you are interested. But I'm not sure about Japan maps if that's the maps you looking for.

The 60CSx, Oregon 300, and Colorado 300 all come without detail maps. They only have a basic basemap. You will be able to add compatible maps.

If your main use of the GPS will be Geocaching - high accuracy may or may not do anything to get you closer to a cache - probably won't.

In any case, the accuracy of newer units is often not much better than older ones (only in certain conditions) but that doesn't say much. Older ones average around 20-30 foot accuracy. Newer ones average around 15 - 25 foot or so I've read. Where the newer units really shine is in heavy tree cover or when near cliffs, buildings or other obstacles - they hold a good lock on the sats much much much better. Faster better processors allow the signal to be analyzed a bit and spurious signals rejected.

As others have stated, unless you buy a GPS made for surveying you are getting about the same accuracey among all of the new models (Garmins starting with the Etrex H models going forward). The newer chipsets get you about 5-10 feet more accurate but pretty much all brands now have the same accuracy.

It comes down to price/features/feel.

Also, I think you have to factor in the quality of the hider's GPS. Doesn't matter how accurate your GPS is if the coordinates are off.

I totally agree. cords are based on the placers gps. I have the Oregon and love the feel and the touch screen, but I don't think it has made me a better cacher just makes it more enjoyable.

Also, I think you have to factor in the quality of the hider's GPS. Doesn't matter how accurate your GPS is if the coordinates are off.

I totally agree. cords are based on the placers gps. I have the Oregon and love the feel and the touch screen, but I don't think it has made me a better cacher just makes it more enjoyable.

Thank you so much!!! these thoughts and statements have helped me alot with my decision. i will keep my 400t. my only question was the accuracy. Thanks everyone.