Garmin & Memory Cards

I want to add memory to my Garmin Nuvi 205W but do not know what kind of memory to get. :D I went to the store and was offered all kinds to choose from. :( The people (yes, more than one trying to help me with this one) did not know anything about GPS units and memory. They did tell me when it came to cameras, that the wrong card could ruin the camera! :D

Please recommend what kind of memory I ought to consider. I want enough memory to keep my local caches while still being able to add caches on a route when I am traveling. :unsure:

I want to add memory to my Garmin Nuvi 205W but do not know what kind of memory to get. :D I went to the store and was offered all kinds to choose from. :( The people (yes, more than one trying to help me with this one) did not know anything about GPS units and memory. They did tell me when it came to cameras, that the wrong card could ruin the camera! :D

Please recommend what kind of memory I ought to consider. I want enough memory to keep my local caches while still being able to add caches on a route when I am traveling. :unsure:

http://www.gpsnow.com/Garmin_nuvi_205W_Accessories.htm

Garmin nüvi 205W Memory

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SanDisk 2.0 GB microSD Memory Card with SD Adapter - $19.99

ONHAND 31

[Add to Wish list]

The microSD is about a quarter of the size of a Secure Digital/ SD card and is one of the latest standards of SD flash memory specifically designed for use with small handheld devices. The microSD card is ideal for use in storing additional MapSource data. This 2GB microSD card ships with a full size SD adapter, so you can use it with your existing SD compatible devices too. 5 year manufacturer's warranty. SanDisk is the world's leading manufacturer of flash memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SanDisk 4GB microSDHC Memory Card with SD Adapter - $29.99

ONHAND 23

[Add to Wish list]

The microSD is about a quarter of the size of a Secure Digital/ SD card and is one of the latest standards of SD flash memory specifically designed for use with small handheld devices. The microSD card is ideal for use in storing additional MapSource data. This 4GB microSD card ships with a full size SD adapter, so you can use it with your existing SD compatible devices too. 5 year manufacturer's warranty. SanDisk is the world's leading manufacturer of flash memory.

The card is not for caches. The card is for adding large amounts of maps. There is a ton of internal memory for caches. Using one of the GSAK Nuvi macros is the best solution.

They use micro SD cards. Anything will do.

Strange b/c my unit holds about 30 PIOs. I thought it was supposed to hold up to 500. What am I not getting? :unsure:

It holds 500 waypoint (favorites). When you search by nearest, you will only see the closest 50. You need to search by name to see other ones.

There is no limit on Custom POIs. These are the way to go as the GSAK Nuvi macros will include all of the cache information.

It holds 500 waypoint (favorites). When you search by nearest, you will only see the closest 50. You need to search by name to see other ones.

There is no limit on Custom POIs. These are the way to go as the GSAK Nuvi macros will include all of the cache information.

Thank you Red90. I appreciate your information.

I guess this GPS PIO thing is still confusing me. I will have to start meeting other cachers to get advise. It is still vague to me. :rolleyes:

Thank you Red90. I appreciate your information.

I guess this GPS PIO thing is still confusing me. I will have to start meeting other cachers to get advise. It is still vague to me. :rolleyes: