Gramin etrex or go for the colorado?

I want to buy my husband a new gps for his bday - we've had an etrex legend for at least 4-5 years, and it has finally started going bad. I was looking at the new etrex models, but then noticed the colorados. He will use the gps ofr geocaching, but it would be great if he could use it in the car as well since he doesn't have a car gps (I have a garmin nuvi and couldn't live without it!). If I went with the etrex, I'd probably get the vista with a color screen. Of course, for the price of the colorado 400t, I could probably get him the etrex and a basic nuvi....

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated!

Of course, for the price of the colorado 400t, I could probably get him the etrex and a basic nuvi....
I have a eTrex Venture Cx and a CO 300, the eTrex collects dust, like the Colorado 300 so much more.

No reason to consider a 400T, the 300 has everything the 400 has save the "worthless" 100K maps. You are correct that a base Nuvi is good choice with an eTrex.

Happy hunting. :unsure:

Of course, for the price of the colorado 400t, I could probably get him the etrex and a basic nuvi....
I have a eTrex Venture Cx and a CO 300, the eTrex collects dust, like the Colorado 300 so much more.

No reason to consider a 400T, the 300 has everything the 400 has save the "worthless" 100K maps. You are correct that a base Nuvi is good choice with an eTrex.

Happy hunting. :unsure:

Thanks! Do you use the Colorado just for geocaching, or for driving as well?

My Colorado 300 is my perferred unit when I go out Geocaching. The paperless geocaching features are great and easy to learn to use. Just drop a GPX file on there and off you go. I've only used it 2 or 3 times for in-car nav and it isn't bad - a bit akward to operate on the dash though.

Have you looked at the Garmin Oregon Series?? - the touchscreen interface is great for driving and the paperless Geocaching features are equal to the Colorado.

I've been very pleased with the Garmin Oregon - wife 'got' mine for me for my recent b'day (I picked it out, researched it and ordered after she suggested it as my b'day give when I got frustrated with poor reception in tree cover on my Legend).

Garmin is provding top notch support for getting the Oregon 'cleaned up' from a software and operational standpoint.

You may want to get your hands on both - since you can do paperless with either one - the real deciding factor for me was the touch screen and ease of data entry and general operations versus the wheel on the colorado.

Ultimatley the Oregone was my choice because of it's ability to be a great in car nav system too. The touch screen makes it equivalent to (although smaller) most car only units. I love it. . .

Thanks all! I did read some negative reviews of the touch screen, which is why I was considering the Colorado instead. But a touch screen would be better for driving... Any other thoughts on the touch-screen? Thanks again - the research this time around is much harder - the legend was an easy choice 4-5 years ago!

No, the Oregon 300 only comes with a very basic map that only includes major roads and highways. If you want detailed street level maps that will auto-route you would also need to buy City Navigator. There are some very good detailed free maps for street level detail (Ibycus maps) for the U.S.; but they will not auto-route. A good alternative since they are free if auto-routing is not a high priority.

I started out with an Etrex. It is fine until you get into trees or valleys and then it gets "lost" since the compass feature is based on satellite reception. Still like and use it. $100 at BB, $150 for Etrex H at EAI. The H model offers better sensitivity. The C model offers color. SHOP AROUND! prices are not consistant.

From there I bought a Nuvi 500. It allows the convenience of touchscreen along with paperless caching. Sort of a "forgotten" Garmin. This model of Nuvi is a cousin of the other Nuvis - but is larger, waterproof, and mode-enabled for geocaching. It shares the compass flaw of the Etrex, but allows you to easily drive to a location and then walk with it to a cache. Getting harder to find - but its about half the price of an Oregon for similar convenience! Rechargeable battery built-in, but can be changed easily in the field with another ($35). Do not confuse this with the 200 series Nuvis. I got $300 on sale at BB.

The Colorado is my latest toy. EAI had the 400t on clearance for $250... yes $250 vs list $600 and I bought one - not online, only in their stores. It is convenient, but I am unsure if I like it as well as the Nuvi500 yet. The gain on this one is the electronic compass, which I need in Virginia. It has a couple of things I dislike about the software and the buttons are small. But, as one reviewer said... the interface is monkey simple! I wanted an Oregon, but the price got me to get this instead. Battery life is inadequate - it really needed to have been designed with a nicad recharger option built-in... use it and recharge in the car would have been nice...

Thanks very much all - I went with the Oregon 300.
Two hours . . . a modern day record!!! Most spend weeks and still can't make up their minds. I'm sure he'll like the Oregon.

Yep - that's quick. I felt like I rushed my decision - took me almost 2 weeks before pulling the trigger. . . of course today the Oregon 400t went on sale for $399, about $65 less than I paid before rebate. So is the way of technology ;)

Also - I'm still not sure on the nuMap updates. The link provided above does say in the compatibility that it includes the Oregon 400t but on the Requirements page says "This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device." so I wonder if this means that it will be a lifetime update for the Topo maps (not that useful IMO). If however it gave and updated CN maps - well worth the price.

Two hours . . . a modern day record!!! Most spend weeks and still can't make up their minds. I'm sure he'll like the Oregon.

Yep - that's quick. I felt like I rushed my decision - took me almost 2 weeks before pulling the trigger. . . of course today the Oregon 400t went on sale for $399, about $65 less than I paid before rebate. So is the way of technology ;)

Also - I'm still not sure on the nuMap updates. The link provided above does say in the compatibility that it includes the Oregon 400t but on the Requirements page says "This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device." so I wonder if this means that it will be a lifetime update for the Topo maps (not that useful IMO). If however it gave and updated CN maps - well worth the price.

My understanding from Garmin is that you need to purchase the full edition of CN, and then you can purchase numaps for the lifetime updates.

No, the Oregon 300 only comes with a very basic map that only includes major roads and highways. If you want detailed street level maps that will auto-route you would also need to buy City Navigator. There are some very good detailed free maps for street level detail (Ibycus maps) for the U.S.; but they will not auto-route. A good alternative since they are free if auto-routing is not a high priority.

I like the maps in TOPO 08 much better. Shows streets and elevations.

Definitely a personal record!!! I generally obsess about technology purchases for 2-3 weeks minimum! But an impending birthday can make one rush... Of course two days after I pulled the trigger REI puts the Oregon 400t on sale for $399 - exactly what I paid for the 300 on Amazon! :D I wonder if I should try to return it? We did unpack it and put in batteries - but I can put it back together in the box as new.... Still, not sure if the extra memory and the 100K maps (which sound like they are not terribly useful) would really be worth the hassle....