Real estate padlocks

power69

I saw one once in Palm Springs, California (or maybe Indio, it was one of those ritzy Coachella Valley towns) that meets your description. It was a large padlock locked to a chain link fence. The loop portion of the lock was opened using a standard key and it had a separate compartment for the log that opened using a 4-number combination.

Cachers should know the number, but only the owner has a physical key.

I went after it at night and had a LEO encounter, but all ended well.

I'll PM the waypoint to you if you want to contact the owner for more information. I won't post it here because the description of the lock gives away part of a puzzle.

This might work for you. The "Numeric Code ShurLok Lockbox". It has a different shackle code than the door code (where the key would go). Problem is that the codes are always related. The door code is always 3 digits higher than the shackle code. So, if a finder knows this about the lock, then they can steal your lock. I assume few would know that but it is a security issue.

I just found this one at Amazon.com. NUSET 3 Letter Lock Box or Real Estate Lockbox with Hidden Key Hole. Not sure as the description is weak but it appears from the second picture that the shackle is unlocked via a key inside the container. The outer section appears to be accessed via a combo. A little pricey at $30.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I always thought this would be a cool idea, but there are two obstacles:

1. the $30 pricetag for the item (at a recent Home Depot visit)

2. Finding an appropriate unoccupied residence that wasn't already on the market and had one on the door already.

Maybe I can find the type that car dealers use? After all they have plenty of inventory that isn't moving too quickly. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy

I always thought this would be a cool idea, but there are two obstacles:

1. the $30 pricetag for the item (at a recent Home Depot visit)

2. Finding an appropriate unoccupied residence that wasn't already on the market and had one on the door already.

Maybe I can find the type that car dealers use? After all they have plenty of inventory that isn't moving too quickly. ;)

Hope you are joking. I would not do a hide on an unoccupied house. Tresspassing plus perminance issues.