Non-premium member - how do they log the caches?

Me and me Dad right, well, we go caching we do. Generally on Sundays. I'm the premium member. I run the queries, suck that into GSAK, squirt out new find files and off we toddle to find muddy boxes in dark damp corners of the splendid British countryside.

When I get home I log the caches with photos and hopefully a funny story or two. And I copy and paste me Dad's finds. You know, just to keep his tally going. This weekend we found a number of Premium Member only caches. I don't begrudge paying a premium membership fee, I think its good value for what fun and stuff we get out of it. However, we've managed for 3 years or something like that with the status quo and these are the first premium member only caches in, ooooo, like ages or something.

I've seen it discussed on here before (and I've tried the search Rutson :unsure:) and I've tried various Google queries, but I'm not getting the results. How can you fudge the non-premium member not having to be a premium member to log the premium member caches?

Many many thanks in advance.

Scott

The loophole that allows a non PM to log a PM only cache was the subject of much debate over on the other Geocaching Discussion forum before Christmas. First there was a loophole (which, apparently, GSP knows about and "allows"), then many members reported that the loophole was closed, then that Nate had said it would be re-opened at some point (but not exactly when), then everyone offered lots of opinions on whether there should be a loophole or not... and so on...

The most recent positive post that I've found this morning is this one:

How a non-PM can log a PM only cache.

Let us know if it's successful for your Dad. This loophole, like many such portals in hyperspace, seems to go through states of flux. I offer no guarantee that it's actually working this week. :unsure:

MrsB :(

Edited by The Blorenges

I have used the loophole a couple of times to allow HayLin (my daughter) to log PM caches that she has visited with me. I think it is very important and polite to email the cache owner first asking for permission to allow the non premium member to log the cache. Obviously explaining the situation. So far I have never had any objections raised.

I have used the loophole a couple of times to allow HayLin (my daughter) to log PM caches that she has visited with me. I think it is very important and polite to email the cache owner first asking for permission to allow the non premium member to log the cache. Obviously explaining the situation. So far I have never had any objections raised.

Yes, I'd agree there.

I should have added that some owners of PM-only caches are very obliging: If you explain the situation to them, they will often agree to lift the restriction on their cache for a certain period of time just so that the non-PM can log it "legitimately", without going through all the loophole ringmarole.

MrsB

1. Log onto GC.com with a premium membership

2. Open the premium cache and click log your visit

3. Log out

4. Log in from the non premium account

5. Write the log

6. Click Submit Log Entry

Dont worry if after logging the find the page returns an error

7. Log out of non premium account

8. Log back in from premium account

9. Check the log entry was succesful

Job done :unsure:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I followed Matrix's advice purely because it was like a) add flour, :D add eggs, c) mix etc. Dead easy. I did do it slightly different though (added currants... :unsure:) and I think others may find it easier. It does require two different browsers.

1) On one browser (for argument's sake, Firefox) login as Premium member

2) On other browser (for argument's sake, IE), login as the normal member account.

3) Log find on Premium account - but before you click 'Submit Log Entry' do 4

4) Copy URL

5) Paste URL into browser being used by normal member.

6) Log find and smiley

7) Job done! :(

Just for the record, I didn't get any error messages, and Dad's count tally has gone up and everything is looking rosey. I took Haggis' feedback too and messaged the cache owner too.

Thanks once again everyone!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I followed Matrix's advice purely because it was like a) add flour, :D add eggs, c) mix etc. Dead easy. I did do it slightly different though (added currants... :unsure:) and I think others may find it easier. It does require two different browsers.

1) On one browser (for argument's sake, Firefox) login as Premium member

2) On other browser (for argument's sake, IE), login as the normal member account.

3) Log find on Premium account - but before you click 'Submit Log Entry' do 4

4) Copy URL

5) Paste URL into browser being used by normal member.

6) Log find and smiley

7) Job done! :(

Just for the record, I didn't get any error messages, and Dad's count tally has gone up and everything is looking rosey. I took Haggis' feedback too and messaged the cache owner too.

Thanks once again everyone!

Or without two browsers:

1) Login as Premium member

2) Log find on Premium account - but before you click 'Submit Log Entry' do 3

3) Copy URL

4) Log out

5) Log in as normal member account

6) Paste URL

7) Log find and smiley

8) Job done! :D

Thank you for posting that link BaseOverApex, I have not seen that one before.

Additionally, if you don't have a PM account but know the GC number, we have a facility on our local forum that lets you easily log a cache.

It would be good to know Groundspeak's current stance on logging PMs without having a PM account. I have always believed, through word of mouth from other cachers and not from anywhere I have read, that the backdoor for logging was left open by them because "anyone who finds a cache should be able to log it". If that is just myth, then please put me straight :)

I trust you now know about: http://www.geocachingadmin.com/ ? It's the non-PM backdoor placed specifically by Groundspeak for this purpose.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but it's one of the topmost found by Google and I wanted to ensure that it contains the correct answer to the question!

The http://www.geocachingadmin.com/ site is quite simple to use.

1. Paste or type in the GC number,

2. Click the "Log" button (not the "Go to" button)

I trust you now know about: http://www.geocachingadmin.com/ ? It's the non-PM backdoor placed specifically by Groundspeak for this purpose.

That be a useful site, but don't be under any illusions that it was placed by Groundspeak.

For a start, it doesn't mention Groundspeak anywhere on the site.

And it's registered by a fella in California that doesn't work for Groundspeak.

• Upvote 1

3. Log out

5. Write the log

This.

This is how I do it for my friends account. no issues there.

That be a useful site, but don't be under any illusions that it was placed by Groundspeak.

For a start, it doesn't mention Groundspeak anywhere on the site.

And it's registered by a fella in California that doesn't work for Groundspeak.

Yes, entirely correct. What was I thinking? Dammit - I could have sworn I had my hands on one touted by Groundspeak.

3. Log out

5. Write the log

This.

This is how I do it for my friends account. no issues there.

It's a nuisance compared to the sites that allow it without all the logging in and logging out. But "The Other Stu" rases a concern with me now: users of that geocachingadmin.com site are potentially giving their passwords out to a third party.

Edited by BaseOverApex
  • Upvote 1

But "The Other Stu" rases a concern with me now: users of that geocachingadmin.com site are potentially giving their passwords out to a third party.

I don't think so. I haven't used it but a quick squint shows when you go to geocachingadmin.com and hit the "log" button, all it does is open up a link to :-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?WP=GC*****

So geocachingadmin.com plays no part in the logging session and doesnt even need a username, let alone a password; and it doesn't use the API, so nothing to be concerned about.

So geocachingadmin.com plays no part in the logging session and doesnt even need a username, let alone a password; and it doesn't use the API, so nothing to be concerned about.

Well, it does ASK for a username (correct, that doesn't mean it needs one), but that's a good point, we never enter a password. So, how the heck does it authenticate? It must just use the fact that the non-PM is already logged in on another session...

Phew!

Edited by BaseOverApex

Hi, I am new to geocaching and still trying to decide if it is for me or not. I've enjoyed the three walks I've been on with a group of friends who do this regularly and are premium members, however, I do not want to become a premium member until I am sure this is for me as anything more than an occasional day out. I feel frustrated though that I am unable to log finds for premium caches I have found when with my friends. I appreciate the situation regarding paying and non-paying members both being able to log these finds, but why can't new members have a grace period eg 3 months or something when they are able to log all finds premium or not whilst deciding how serious they are about it. It could be sorted and automatic for all new joiners and would then automatically end with a reminder that in future you would have to be a premium member once the time period was up.

Hi, I am new to geocaching and still trying to decide if it is for me or not. I've enjoyed the three walks I've been on with a group of friends who do this regularly and are premium members, however, I do not want to become a premium member until I am sure this is for me as anything more than an occasional day out. I feel frustrated though that I am unable to log finds for premium caches I have found when with my friends. I appreciate the situation regarding paying and non-paying members both being able to log these finds, but why can't new members have a grace period eg 3 months or something when they are able to log all finds premium or not whilst deciding how serious they are about it. It could be sorted and automatic for all new joiners and would then automatically end with a reminder that in future you would have to be a premium member once the time period was up.

You can log a PM-only cache even if you are not a PM yourself. Go to the link below, enter the GC number, click 'Log visit'.

Project gc dashboard

MrsB

I found this topic as I was searching for an answer to this problem - and it works out fine. But: Is there a possibility to see the found PM-caches on a map aswell? It would be awesome if I also saw the smileyicon for the found PM-cache as it's more manageable for future cachetours.

All the best

Thanks for the reminder,  I have been a premium member for many years. I created accounts for my two children when they hit Junior high, to keep track of there own finds as they get older and hopefully they reembrace the game again someday  but as of now the HS and College years they will occasionally find a cache with dad and if its a Premium I want to log it for them. dont worry they dont get credit for every cache i have found only the ones they help find. when they were little if one was looking and one was sleeping in the car only one gets the find. cheers 

• Upvote 1
On 4/24/2023 at 1:12 AM, T.R.E.K. said:

I created accounts for my two children when they hit Junior high, to keep track of there own finds as they get older and hopefully they reembrace the game again someday ...

We know quite a few that buy a trackable and name it after their kids ("Jim's Jeep" for example), "visiting" every cache they find with mom or dad.

When they get older, if they're interested in the hobby, they have a list for every cache found on that trackable's page.  :)