The Online Geocacher up for grabs

I thought geocachers wanted a magazine, so I gave them one - http://onlinegeocacher.com

Free, ad-free, unbiased, community controlled... whatever stories geocachers wanted to submit would make up the content.

I am thrilled with the content that was submitted... some really cool articles by interesting people have been published. Thank you!

I am underwhelmed, however, with the slow response rate. Very few content contributions have been submitted.

I have one article in my inbox that I will publish tomorrow, other than that it's been over 60 days since anyone sent anything in for it.

El Diablo told me that if I wanted it to fly I would have to work at it, treat it like a business, promote it, drive it... I said "Nah, build it and they will come." He was right.

So, here's the deal... If you want the magazine and believe that you can make it fly I will hand it over, just tell me that you will give it a serious effort to make a viable publication of it and I will transfer ownership of the account and publication to you.

I pay $20. a month to have The Online Geocacher hosted and published on PressPublisher.com. The $20/month is for hosting and some advanced subscriber notification tools which I have never implemented, if you don't want them you can scale it back to $10/month, and if you want to publish it without using their advanced text and picture editor they'll host it for free, which is where I started out. I will give you the domain name as well.

I would love to see somebody make it work.

I will continue to publish it until someone takes it over, it's too good just to drop, but someone should take it that wants to put effort into soliciting content, someone who wants to build something... I'm retired, I don't want another job, plus I believe that if the community wanted it they'd submit content, I am not going to beg for it!

If you want to take it over post here or email TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com. I do reserve the right to choose which responder I give it to!

I thought geocachers wanted a magazine, so I gave them one - http://onlinegeocacher.com

Free, ad-free, unbiased, community controlled... whatever stories geocachers wanted to submit would make up the content.

I am thrilled with the content that was submitted... some really cool articles by interesting people have been published. Thank you!

I am underwhelmed, however, with the slow response rate. Very few content contributions have been submitted.

I have one article in my inbox that I will publish tomorrow, other than that it's been over 60 days since anyone sent anything in for it.

El Diablo told me that if I wanted it to fly I would have to work at it, treat it like a business, promote it, drive it... I said "Nah, build it and they will come." He was right.

So, here's the deal... If you want the magazine and believe that you can make it fly I will hand it over, just tell me that you will give it a serious effort to make a viable publication of it and I will transfer ownership of the account and publication to you.

I pay $20. a month to have The Online Geocacher hosted and published on PressPublisher.com. The $20/month is for hosting and some advanced subscriber notification tools which I have never implemented, if you don't want them you can scale it back to $10/month, and if you want to publish it without using their advanced text and picture editor they'll host it for free, which is where I started out. I will give you the domain name as well.

I will continue to publish it until someone takes it over, it's too good just to drop, but someone should take it that wants to put effort into soliciting content, someone who wants to build something... I'm retired, I don't want another job, plus I believe that if the community wanted it they'd submit content, I am not going to beg for it!

If you want to take it over post here or email TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com. I do reserve the right to choose which responder I give it to!

Let me know if you don't have any takers. I guess one more site/domain won't matter much.. :lol:

I hope that someone has the time to take this over for you.I didn't realize this site was here,but I think it's a great idea and I will definatley bookmark it.I spend quite a bit of time between this site and geocaching.com...I am always looking to see and hear about other caching stories,pictures,etc...and like to contribute some of my own as well.I would do the same on this site if it stays on-line as planned.

Cool site, thanks for the link... Added it to my Geocaching links... I will check it atleast weekly for updates...

Thanks again...

Email on it's way. :D

Wow, lots of emails and PMs! I am glad that so many folks see value in The Online Geocacher and want it to grow.

Thank you to all who offered.

Catsnfish has been a regular content contributor and has agreed not only to take it over but to continue it as a free magazine for all geocachers, something that was important to me.

Catsnfish is now the Owner and Publisher and I am staying on as Editor In Chief.

Please, for The Online Geocacher to be of any value geocachers must send in their stories! Let me rephrase that last bit... YOU must send in your stories! Help Catsnfish make this a magazine that the whole community enjoys.

A huge thanks to all who have submitted content and to those who will do so.

Your experiences at GeoWoodstock VII or a local geocaching lunch bunch, something funny that happened on a cache trip or why you enjoy caching, it all makes good stories that people want to read.

I'm not a terribly good writer, which is why I did not volunteer to add any content, but if you need any help with the web developing or hosting part of it let me know... :D

-Rozie

Thanks, Rozie, I will make sure Catsnfish sees your offer.

Unfortunately I am afraid that "I'm not a good writer" keeps many people from writing articles. I want to stress that we're looking for geocachers, not accomplished writers! If you can string together words to post in this forum then you can write for The Online Geocacher! We want cachers stories in cacher's words.

I do some basic editing (spell check, word choice, flow) but most people can tell their story without my help, I am sure that you can too... give it a try!

One nice thing about The Online Geocacher - we provide no avenue for reader feedback on authors or content, meaning that you won't have to read any criticism... If they don't like your story, tough, as far as you'll know everyone loved it! :P

Thanks Ed, for beginning the magazine as well as staying on to help me.

When my wife and I began caching, I read everything I could find about our new hobby, looking not only for information but entertainment as well. At that time I found Today's Cacher and loved it! After reading through all of the archived issues, I eagerly awaited the next publication, I waited a long time:blink: When I discovered that it was no longer being published (I won't say how long that took :D ) I looked elsewhere for a similar effort. I found blogs by various people, entertaining but I had to hop around and constantly search for different blogs to feed my caching entertainment appetite.

Along came the Caching Now magazine, YES!! It's a great magazine and I thoroughly enjoy reading it whenever new articles are published. Then I discovered The Online Geocacher and it's mission fit my wants perfectly, new content without waiting for a monthly date, a variety of stories and articles from different people all sharing a love for geocaching. :D

After reading a few stories of cachers rescuing animals, I decided to share my story about finding a cold hungry kitten at an EarthCache. Typing it up, I sent it to Ed with a few pictures and my authors bio. It was pretty neat to see my story there with all of the other articles and I had fun writing it! A few weeks later I decided it was fun enough that I'd send in another story. Then I developed the habit of one story leading into the next and I was totally hooked.

I had never done any writing before and never thought that I ever would, but the Online Geocacher fit my needs so well that I just had to support it as best I could. The best way to do that was to contribute content. I was never obligated to write, never had a deadline to meet, never was told or suggested what I should write about, but I felt good whenever I submitted a story and saw it online.

Enough of this I, I, I stuff. There are at least 24 I's (I lost count!) in what I wrote above and obviously they're still coming (I can't stop myself!) When all those I's are replaced by you's as contributing authors, the magazine will be a tremendous success.

Ed began hosting and publishing the Online Geocacher as a gift to the caching community, but the articles and pictures and content contributions are our gifts to ourselves. Give generously! It feels good! :D

Thanks

catsnfish (Joe Acamo)

Please, for The Online Geocacher to be of any value geocachers must send in their stories! Let me rephrase that last bit... YOU must send in your stories! Help Catsnfish make this a magazine that the whole community enjoys.

My wife loves writing. Occasionally she has stuff published for local sources. If media wasn't so slanted I would encourage her to try to write for a paper.

Anyway... Do you have an outline of what type of content you might be looking for? She is super busy and never, ever even looks at the forums. I do think if I mentioned this she would start thinking about an article. I thin it is therapeutic for her. Heck, she has to live with me... :D

This sounds like a fantastic project, I wish I'd thought to search for geocaching stories online before now. Since I'm starting to get back into a caching groove after a break in my adventures, I'll be paying special attention now for things I could write about. Many thanks to both those who started the site and those who are going to continue with it!

My wife loves writing. Occasionally she has stuff published for local sources. If media wasn't so slanted I would encourage her to try to write for a paper.

Anyway... Do you have an outline of what type of content you might be looking for? She is super busy and never, ever even looks at the forums. I do think if I mentioned this she would start thinking about an article. I thin it is therapeutic for her. Heck, she has to live with me... :D

Once I get settled in, I may solicit specific types of content for new departments. Anything that you as cachers find informational, funny or even heartwrenching that you would like to share with the caching community!