Garmin Oregon 2.97 Beta Available

Side note, I am impressed Garmin is releasing a new Organ when they still have bugs with this one....

The same situation compared to the colorado.

Now do we have happy colorado-users? :lol:

The oregon is a funny toy.

But for trips i am still using the gpsmap60csx

210 caches in last 3 or so days, using 2.97. Had two major drift issues over that time, accuracy went to a high value and off I went..100 feet, 200 feet away from the cache with the holders of other brand GPS looking at me like I was crazy. Power cycle fixed, satellites reacquired instantly and back to group. For the other 208 caches, Oregon was bang on the money (road routing and off road).

210 caches in last 3 or so days, using 2.97. Had two major drift issues over that time, accuracy went to a high value and off I went..100 feet, 200 feet away from the cache with the holders of other brand GPS looking at me like I was crazy. Power cycle fixed, satellites reacquired instantly and back to group. For the other 208 caches, Oregon was bang on the money (road routing and off road).

Wow 210 in 3 days?!? By my calculations (say 14 hours of geocaching a day for 3 days) you found 1 geocache every 12 minutes. Amazing! My lifetime total is 169, and that's taken me 7 1/2 years.

My last outing using 2.97 I didn't turn on the track log, but I did reset the trip computer. After walking about 3 miles I checked the trip computer, and it said I had walked 345 miles. That's a lot of drift.

Wow 210 in 3 days?!? By my calculations (say 14 hours of geocaching a day for 3 days) you found 1 geocache every 12 minutes. Amazing! My lifetime total is 169, and that's taken me 7 1/2 years.

OT: Sounds about right, but I doubt I cached 14 hours each day. I need more zzzs that that!! I don't even think 210 in 3 days is that crazy... can find much more than that in the right areas. This was a casual-ish set of bike rides and mixed car caches. Fun days with friends.

Took me 3 years to find my first 10 caches :blink:

on-topic: I'd say that is some serious drift issues... that would be zig zags of miles. I never ever see anything like that, might want to contact Garmin about that. The drift I get is like a "spike" of about 200-500 feet and once it happens (and it only happens v rarely) it's almost as though the co-ordinates are "offset" at that drift looking at the track until i power cycle. Reminds me of the Legend / Vista HCX drifts a while ago (or still?)

So today it happened to me...

I'm on 2.97 since the day it was released and didn't have any problems so far. In fact my unit was very reliable and spot on all the time.

Today all of a sudden my unit would lose all satellites and never really recovered from it. Now, it only looks on to 1 to 4 satellites even though it shows way more grayed out satellites on the satellite page. If I get lucky enough to get a fix it comes with an accuracy of about 30 meters!

What is the best practice to get the satellite reception back to normal? What helped all you guys who had the same problem? Any other idea than down- and upgrading again?

Any reply appreciated.

The same thing happened to me. I reloaded the unit with 2.86. It got all the sats back. Then I reloaded

the unit with 2.97. It's been working fine since then. I know it will do it again. I'm hoping they update the GPS software. :blink:

I'm on 2.97 since the day it was released and didn't have any problems so far. In fact my unit was very reliable and spot on all the time.

Today all of a sudden my unit would lose all satellites and never really recovered from it. Now, it only looks on to 1 to 4 satellites even though it shows way more grayed out satellites on the satellite page. If I get lucky enough to get a fix it comes with an accuracy of about 30 meters!

What is the best practice to get the satellite reception back to normal? What helped all you guys who had the same problem? Any other idea than down- and upgrading again?

Any reply appreciated.

The same thing happened to me. I reloaded the unit with 2.86. It got all the sats back. Then I reloaded

the unit with 2.97. It's been working fine since then. I know it will do it again. I'm hoping they update the GPS software. :blink:

Any reply appreciated.

That's the only thing I've found so far that will "fix" it....revert to a previous version (I used 2.86 too), then back to 2.97. Happened to me twice...but (knock wood) hasn't happened at all during the past week or so.

Bill

Any reply appreciated.

I had the exact same thing happen today except I didn't have any greyed out birds on the page.

Here is the really weird part. It was working fine until about 12 noon EST and wham, the sats when missing. The really odd part is I was caching with a friend who also has an OR with 2.97. He was getting a full screen of birds and I was getting 3 or 4. With the units sitting beside each other.

I will post screen shots as soon as I get them from him.

When it happened to me we had an etrex that saw 9 sats. I could only lock on to 4 sats with error up to 400feet. The other sats were grayed out. No amounts of power cycles could get it to see the grayed out sats.

It's been working good since I reloaded.

Any reply appreciated.

I had the exact same thing happen today except I didn't have any greyed out birds on the page.

Here is the really weird part. It was working fine until about 12 noon EST and wham, the sats when missing. The really odd part is I was caching with a friend who also has an OR with 2.97. He was getting a full screen of birds and I was getting 3 or 4. With the units sitting beside each other.

I will post screen shots as soon as I get them from him.

Bingo --

Tequila and jbar...you've probably e-mailed Garmin, but in the off chance you haven't...please

do. I've e-mailed them each time "it" happened...didn't get a response though........sigh. I'm

really hoping they are working on "it". Lots of folks report the exact same behavior.

Bill

My guess is that the Oregon is not handling the active/inactive status of satellites correctly.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/navinfo/Gps/ActiveNanu.aspx

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/navinfo/Gps/Nan...?NanuId=2009032

Oddly enough, it's the same day you were reporting errors. Don't know if the times line up. The satellite was out for almost 12 hours. Last time I had problems it was related to satellite status changes.

I could be wrong.

Edited by mattalbr

I did email and got no respose. :blink:

Bingo --

Tequila and jbar...you've probably e-mailed Garmin, but in the off chance you haven't...please

do. I've e-mailed them each time "it" happened...didn't get a response though........sigh. I'm

really hoping they are working on "it". Lots of folks report the exact same behavior.

Bill

My guess is that the Oregon is not handling the active/inactive status of satellites correctly.

Oddly enough, it's the same day you were reporting errors. Don't know if the times line up. The satellite was out for almost 12 hours. Last time I had problems it was related to satellite status changes.

I could be wrong.

Why wouldn't both units, side by side, display the same activity?

I could be wrong.

Don't have any idea. It just seems like when the Oregon is acting strangely it coincides with a change to satellite status.

I could be wrong.

Tequila,

Had the unit which failed been off for more than 2-3 days?

Here is my screen captures.

Both units were running fine most of the morning. Suddenly my unit started displaying horrendous accuracy and could not see satelites much less pick them up.

Screen shot # 1 and 3 are my unit and screen shots #2 and 4 are my friend's unit.

Screen shot # 1 and 2 were taken at the same time with the units side by side on the ledge of a bridge with an open sky.

Screen shot # 3 and 4 were taken at the same time with the units side by side on the ground.

Both units had fresh batteries. Both units had WAAS enabled.

82e4cc9e-5cdc-4eca-8dbb-f6f88e203759.jpg

Email sent to OregonBeta.

Edited by Tequila

Both units were running fine most of the morning. Suddenly my unit started displaying horrendous accuracy and could not see satelites much less pick them up.

Screen shot # 1 and 3 are my unit and screen shots #2 and 4 are my friend's unit.

Screen shot # 1 and 2 were taken at the same time with the units side by side on the ledge of a bridge with an open sky.

Screen shot # 3 and 4 were taken at the same time with the units side by side on the ground.

Why is it that both units aren't looking for the same satelites ? Because the satelites you both have in common seem ok !?

I would switch units with your friend when he is not looking.

Problem solved. :unsure:

At first I was going to say something about your unit trying to get #51 for WAAS and his wasn't, then I saw the comment above and saw his was looking at #48.

On a related note, I have turned WAAS off on my 400t, and it seems to be tracking rock solid and very accurate. I don't see any drifting issues, and the coords are usually within 0.001' of the coords from my older 60CSx for teh points I have been comparing. Wen I look at my track logs, they match solid with the roads on my City Navigator NT maps SD card...

Ok...I'm just about at the end of my Oregon 400t's lanyard :unsure:. 4PM EDT today, my Oregon with Ver 2.97b installed...lost all but 3 satellites (no greyed out satellites on the screen either)...it barely held a lock on 14, 22, and 30 (all overhead) EPE 116 feet. So...tried a little experiment - placed my 60CSx right beside it, quickly acquired and held lock on 1 (yes, 1), 14, 16 20, 22, 29, 30, 31, and 32 (from overhead to horizon) EPE 15 feet. Both receivers were under a wide open sky view, neither had WAAS activated.

If PRN 1 is "unhealthy" why did the 60CSx lock on?...and is it possible that PRN 1 is causing the Oregon problems? I've written Garmin twice with identical occurrences over the course of several weeks - they've yet to reply - will try again with this latest incident. Yup, end of my lanyard.

Bill

Now here is another odd thing. I didn't have the time to downgrade and upgrade but still wanted to go out caching today. So I ended up using the unit without changing anything from yesterdays configuration and guess what: It was more or less back to normal! It took some time till it had a good lock but then it kept that lock and had an accuracy of 2 to 6 meters...

Maybe waiting for the satellites to change their state or constellation is just as good as down- and upgrading :unsure:

A second friend had it happen to him today around 430 p. m. EST. Lost most of the birds.

At 7:00 p.m. they all came back like magic.

Just about the same time my 400t "lost its mind"...see post #121 :unsure: . The difference is...no "magic" here, it's just after 9PM and my birds have not come home to roost. I know Garmin is working on this...too many e-mails to ignore (I hope)...guess what bothers me the most is - I cannot "trust" the Oregon!

Bill

Any reply appreciated.

With my Oregon 300 I have been on 2.97 since its release and I experienced the same situation today for 3 hours (4pm - 7pm Eastern time) while driving through Central Ontario under clear blue skies. With only 3 birds locked in I had accurracy reporting as poorly as 300 meters! Even though I had 12 birds appearing on the satellite screen, only 3, sometimes 4 would lock in as green, the rest would appear as grey.

What was really odd is that when I would do a cold boot (pull the batteries for 5 minutes) on start-up the satellite screen would initally lock on to 6 or more birds for the first second, and then they would all go grey and then 3 or four would lock then lock in as green. It was really frustrating.

When I pulled into my drive way at 7pm, something changed and I suddenly had 10 birds lock in as green and my accuracy returned to 3 meters and stayed that way for the remainder of the night.

Wierd.

Edited by geO_Kacher

Found this the other day before upgrading to 2.98.

Hasn't happend before or since, think I'll send it off to Garmin.

The shots are of the same continuous track, just that it won't fit on the screan.

or_scrn_001.jpg

or_scrn_002.jpg

I was on a train at the time so deffintly not going at super speed - well not in this country anyway. power cycled and all was fine.

Anyone else had this happen or was it just a fluk?