Garmin Oregon 2.97 Beta Available

I am able to cause a consistent power off on the Oregon under the following circumstances.

I am using the unit to project 2 waypoints and then create a route to make an X and see where the lines intersect. When I attempt to create a waypoint at that intersection, if there are more than one waypoints, the unit powers off if I select the list at the top right and select the first entry which has no name.

In detail:

(1) Loaded two waypoints ( cg001 and cg-003) into the unit using Mapsource.

(2) Project waypoint 005 from cg-001

(3) Project waypoint 006 from cg-003

(4) Create a route as follows: cg-001 -> 005 -> cg-003 -> 006

(5) Save route

(6) View Map

(7) Zoom in and centre map so the intersection point is visible.

(8) If I select a point close to the intersection where there is only 1 point of interest, the unit stays powered on but I am not able to do anything with that waypoint.

(9) If I select a point close to the interesection where there are several points of interest (causing the 3 bars menu to show up in the top right) the unit powers off if I select one of the items)

Couple points of interest: First, I have a POI loaded very close to that intersection. Two, sometimes when I click the 3 bars menu, the list contains a blank entry. Selecting that entry consistently causes the power off.

I know this is pretty obscure. Hopefully I have provided enough info for Garmin to recreate it.

They are "D"'s and I didn't put them there. :sad:

So I guess they are back. At one point, I had "D"'s appear on the screen where there was no sat lock.

I too had the "D"s yesterday sitting inside my Den (lots of windows). But every so often I would loose sat. 51 for no apparent reason and thus the "D"s; sat. 51 would be showing a full scale bar on the GPS. Sat. 31 or 33 (don't recall which one for sure) would appear in almost the same constellation as where 51 was. Off and on much of the day like this. Wondered what was going on?

New firmware is working fine, but there is still problem with map rendering. After few hours of using, my map was not able to render correctly while zoom in. Symptoms:

there was only green backround (or boxed artefacts on screen), but possible to zoom out to very high level.. When trying to zoom-in again, it stays on boxed map without drawing of details at some level. Switching of profiles or maps does not help to show details of map. Only restart resolved this issue.

Second problem I've found in autonavigation. I've created route in profile Recreational (find out target, Navigate to and set to autoroute switch. My path was recalculated and shown correctly. Later on switched to Automotive profile and my navigation to taget does not work (map not mooving, no recalcualtion of route..).. Only restart resolved this issue..

Well, We've had an interesting 2 days with this beta. We had 2.95 installed and it worked fine. We held off on 2.96 because of some of the reported problems and went right to 2.97 yesterday morning. It seemed to work fine for the first 3 hours then just totally crapped in the bed. We lost satellite lock on the way home and it stayed pretty much the same for most of this morning. When it did come back up the accuracy would be anywhere from 80 to 400 feet!

We resolved the problem by reinstalling software version 2.5 using the procedures on the wiki pages. We then took it outside, made sure everything was stable and working then brought it back inside and updated to 2.8 using the web updater. After verifying that was stable, we then updated to the 2.95 beta (since that was the last stable version we had) and once again verified everything was working well. Then, we updated to 2.97....and everything worked! I took it out this afternoon for about 3 hours and it seems to be working like a charm. I only saw WAAS near the end of the night but accuracy stayed in the 8-18 range. I noted no screen lock ups or lags. It is switching between modes now before the hour glass even has time to display itself.

Just figured we'd add our experiences in case anyone else runs into the same issues.

Spent the day out and about with 2.97b loaded on my Oregon 400t.

I got good performance overall (about the same as 2.5, and 2.8). WAAS was working - and I had 6 finds that were all right on target.

The only thing I'm noticing right now that is a negative is a bit of a slower switch between profiles. Before (on 2.8) the profile would switch over pretty quickly. Since upgrading to 2.97 I get an hourglass and it takes a bit longer.

Map redraws for me are much quicker when panning whether using the preinstalled Topo 2008, 24K USGS Topos, or Metroguide MGNA v6 Routables.

So glad that Garmin is so progressive with support on this unit.

Just wondering...how many of you that are experiencing poor satellite reception/lock, and lousy accuracy also have a "Debug" file folder in your Garmin Directory when you connect via Mass Drive to your PC?

Tale of 2 Oregon 400t's - My wife's enjoys great reception...full strength with 9 bars, WAAS, accuracy at 8 feet. Now...side by side, clear view of a wide open sky...mine shows only 3 satellites (the rest are not even showing in the constellation on the satellite page), accuracy is down the potty. Both running Ver 2.97b. I reverted to Ver 2.86 and reception and accuracy immediately went back to "normal"........sigh.

Her's does not have the "Debug" file in the Garmin Mass Storage directory. Guess I'll give Garmin a call on Monday. I experienced the exact same "troubles" with Ver 2.95 and e-mailed them...even send the Debug file...and never got an answer. When this thing works...it's great, and when it doesn't I might as well be carrying a brick.

Bill

Still seeing terrible accuracy and reception of 4 out of a possible 12 sats. Didn't take a screencap this time, we all know what it looks like. Caching would be out of the question if I had planned to spend the day doing that.

I am just heading out. Cross your fingers. Report to follow. Friend has a 60CSx.

I've been out the last two days with 2.97 and after seeing reception issues for a couple of days after the upgrade it has been very good this weekend. The OR was actually locking to more satellites than the CO which is unusual in my experience and the tracks looked pretty good (still a fair amount of noise in the tracklogs but all on the 10'-15' range).

Was out all day on the motorcycle. Reception was terrible all day. Multiple power cycles, WAAS/no WAAS made no difference. Could see birds in the satellite page but no joy in locking on them. Max of 4 sats all day long. Multiple times got message 'Satellite Lock Lost' while on the road.

Bad, bad, bad.

Still seeing terrible accuracy and reception of 4 out of a possible 12 sats. Didn't take a screencap this time, we all know what it looks like. Caching would be out of the question if I had planned to spend the day doing that.

I am getting the same. I get around 50ft accuracy in my yard when before I would get 8ft.

Same problem with 2.97b up here in British Columbia over the past couple of days. I've had a sat directly overhead in the bulls eye on the sat screen, clear reception all around and it simply refused to lock, or even attempt to lock. Cached for 6 hours yesterday and at a few points things seemed to work okay, but most of the time I could only lock on a max of 4 sats with 110+ feet accuracy. My friend with me with this 60cs was getting 16 foot accuracy and locking on sats that weren't even appearing on my GPSr at all. I'm going to try rolling back to an earlier firmware and see how that works tomorrow.

As I'm typing this my 400t with 2.97 is getting 18' accuracy and I'm in the house here in Central Oregon. Not bad for under a roof...

I've had that happen in the house as well...for a day or two, or five...then KAPOW...out under a clear blue wide open sky, and satellite lock drops from 7 or 9 birds to the 3 or 4 that are directly overhead, all other satellites completely disappear from the screen, accuracy goes from 8 feet to 160...and nothing I do fixes that situation until I revert to a previous software version. (I usually go back to Ver 2.86b, which doesn't have all the new/nifty bells & whistles...but it's been the most stable for me). Then I'll upload the newest version again....and after a few days the cycle repeats...........sigh.

Bill

Here's some caps from this morning, photobucket slideshow. Notice the far right satellite keeps changing numbers. Sometimes it would lock, most times not. Bars at bottom show lots of satellites at times with weak signal strength but none are visible. This thing is whacked out. I may revert to prior version.

Also, half the time I plug into my computer (both at home and work) it fails to connect with the computer and locks up. Only way to fix it is to pop the batteries.

th_178.jpg

Edited by mattalbr

Here's some caps from this morning, photobucket slideshow. Notice the far right satellite keeps changing numbers. Sometimes it would lock, most times not. Bars at bottom show lots of satellites at times with weak signal strength but none are visible. This thing is whacked out. I may revert to prior version.

Also, half the time I plug into my computer (both at home and work) it fails to connect with the computer and locks up. Only way to fix it is to pop the batteries.

The only consolation is to know that you and/or I and others are not alone...seems to be an exact problem for many. I have also experienced the "failure to connect" symptom you mentioned. I am in the process of writing an e-mail to Garmin (did so on 5 Apr 09 regarding the same problems with Ver 2.95b, but never received an answer). I encourage eveyone experiencing this same problem write to Garmin at oregonbeta@garmin.com. They seem to have fixed the AutoRouting lock with Ver 2.97b, but those other nasty "bugs" still there impacting reception, accuracy, and function.

Bill

I tried to do a "Wherigo" Saturday and it locked up repeatedly. A friend was using a Colorado and it worked perfectly. This is the 3rd Wherigo I've tried with the Oregon and all three locked up repeatedly, regardless of the ROM version.

I tried to do a "Wherigo" Saturday and it locked up repeatedly. A friend was using a Colorado and it worked perfectly. This is the 3rd Wherigo I've tried with the Oregon and all three locked up repeatedly, regardless of the ROM version.

I wouldn't blame the firmware on the Wherigo issue. There are certain Wherigo functions that work better in the CO than the OR. Especially if there is a lot of zones open at the same time. The CO handles that better.

What cartridge were you trying to use??

I had an issue this weekend with the Beta software. I installed the beta when it came out on Wednesday, it worked fine until Sunday morning. When I turned it on, it was like it lost it’s almanac, it took a while to acquire. When it did it only saw 4 sat’s. This is unusual it usually sees 8-9 sats. The accuracy started at 30ft. which is very unusual. We had an Etrex Vista with us that could see 9-10 sat ‘s and had <20ft accuracy. The accuracy degenerated as the day went on. It would vary between 80- 400ft. I would power cycle and it would require and get to 30ft again but it degenerate back to 80-400ft. The unit was like a brick. It was a $500 pda. I would give the coordinates to the vista and we would find the cache. This morning I started the unit up it was still only seeing 4 sats but accuracy was 21ft. I emailed the beta team about the issue. At work I downgraded the unit to 2.95 and at lunch I was back to 9 sats with 8ft accuracy. I’ve found almost 150 caches with this unit, it’s generally a very impressive. I really like the new features they introduced but there is defiantly a GPS bug in the latest beta. :D

Funny, because I do not remember anything about an accuracy fix with 2.97 beta? Why do most people think that as soon as a new beta is out it fixes everything ? I'm sure Garmin are working hard for the accuracy problem and I would also like to see it fixed but please 2.97 beta fixed the following problems:

Changes made from version 2.96 to 2.97:

* Fixed lockup when a search returns no results

* Fixed map stopped drawing while autorouting

Accuracy is not what it was with 2.96. :D I think I will switch back. Does anyone have Garmin email for the beta software? I would like to let them know what is happening with my gps'r.

Here you go: oregonbeta@garmin.com

Write, please do!

Bill

Thanks I sent email.

I realize that this is still beta version and accuracy was not addressed. However, I don't think Garmin indented to decrease accuracy with this version which has happened. :D

I was pleasantly surprised today after work. I turned the 400t on when I got in the truck after work, flipped it to the satellite page then checked my phone for messages. When I looked up about a minute later I already had WAAS and 4 feet of accuracy! I then went after a 3 stage multi after work and the accuracy was dead on AND with WAAS! Given my recent success (I just jinx'd myself), AND previous frustration (read above), I wonder if there may be something to going back to a baseline version (2.5) then installing the newest beta. Just something others may want to explore.

-galaP-

I was pleasantly surprised today after work. I turned the 400t on when I got in the truck after work, flipped it to the satellite page then checked my phone for messages. When I looked up about a minute later I already had WAAS and 4 feet of accuracy! I then went after a 3 stage multi after work and the accuracy was dead on AND with WAAS! Given my recent success (I just jinx'd myself), AND previous frustration (read above), I wonder if there may be something to going back to a baseline version (2.5) then installing the newest beta. Just something others may want to explore.

-galaP-

Where did you find the link to the old 2.5 file?

-galaP-

I believe you can find it here, under the Oregon Webupdater 250.gcd file:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/oregon/

Bill

-galaP-

We found it *** HERE *** under "M3", "Recovery#2." It wasn't terribly difficult but make sure you read through all of the directions first. We messed up step 6 the first time we tried it, the directions aren't kidding when it says you only have a split second.

-galaP-

I read all the posts in this thread and find the beta software tempting. But I still have some questions. Does the latest version, 2.97, include all the past versions as well? Or is it that you pick and choose which versions to install? Thanks.

Failing repeatedly at releasing the power button at the right time. When exactly should it be released? As soon as Loader appears? Right before it disappears? Between the Loader Loading and Loader banners? I think I am over thinking this...:)

..we feel your pain....read through the directions a couple of times to make sure you know what you're doing. It reads like a "whos on first" when you first go through it. As soon as you see "loader" release the button.

-galaP-

I don't see how the heck you got it on the second try! Finally got it after maybe the 25th try, having a "split second" time frame is an over statement... Hopefully I will have the chance to give this setup a try tomorrow.

I did it on the first try but I don't see enhanced precision. After releasing the power button and hitting enter the screen might show you the buttons for mass storage mode...just leave it and wait...don't do anything....it went to the buttons and back to the boot screen and back to the buttons. It ended up finally in software loading screen.

Edited by Catch43

Just out of curiosity, does Garmin ever update their manuals? With all the major changes in the upgrades since I bought my Oregon, the manual is pretty worthless. It would be nice to be able to download a manual with current features listed.

I'd be very surprised if 2.95, 2.96 or 2.97 showed any difference in GPS performance. They are all based on the same GPS software and at least in my testing they all perform about the same. Running 2.97 this week I had two very poor runs with errors on one of the tests over 500', but I also had 4-5 pretty good runs. Depends on the constellation and the tree cover which is changing rapidly here right now. Both bad runs were later in the week as the leaves were coming out and the during or right after a rain storm when the new leaves were covered with water.

Well I went through all the steps of going back to 2.5 then building on updates till I reached 2.97. And I didn't see a difference at all. Frustrated, I went back to 2.8, and couldn't stand the redraw times on the map. So I bumped it back up to 2.97, but this time the redraw still took forever :sad: So, went back to 2.5, then 2.8, then up to 2.97 and everything is back to the way it was. Accuracy is still not what it used to be, but the unit itself performs quicker. So for now I am just sticking with quick park and grabs, as those at least I know right where to look :lol:

Side note, I am impressed Garmin is releasing a new Organ when they still have bugs with this one....