Garmin Oregon 2.97 Beta Available

I've just put this update on my Oregon 300 and the additional features that were added last update have vanished from all the profiles except the recreational one. At least I'm assuming they've vanished as it would make sense for them all to be on the other profiles (especially mob on marine...) but didn't really get to play with the last update.

Any ideas how to get them back?

I've just put this update on my Oregon 300 and the additional features that were added last update have vanished from all the profiles except the recreational one. At least I'm assuming they've vanished as it would make sense for them all to be on the other profiles (especially mob on marine...) but didn't really get to play with the last update.

They're still there ... go into Setup->Main Menu and un-trash them.

JetSkier

They're still there ... go into Setup->Main Menu and un-trash them.

JetSkier

Oh excellent. Thanks very much :(

Wonder why it did that? :unsure:

Fired up the unit this morning on the way to work. Terrible satellite reception. Constellation wasn't great but there were birds up there to be listened to. Screencap was after the 10 minute ride to work and standing in open parking lot. Not sure how much it's related to new firmware. If a satellite has changed it's status the Oregon seems to have a hard time interpreting that change.

553.jpg

Edited by mattalbr

I've had the same type of reception problems since 2.95. Some days it just plain sticks and if I compare the Oregon to the CO or 60csx it is not picking up satellites it should and is trying to see others it shouldn't. It does seem to go away a few days after the upgrade -- may be related to stale or corrupt HotFix data?

I'm glad Garmin jumped on this one. I was stoked about the new features (especially the Waypoint Averaging) and was bragging to some of my 60CSx buddies that we now have this function only to have to ditch the update. Now we have it back!

Can't wait to test it out today! Way to go Garmin!

Fired up the unit this morning on the way to work. Terrible satellite reception. Constellation wasn't great but there were birds up there to be listened to. Screencap was after the 10 minute ride to work and standing in open parking lot. Not sure how much it's related to new firmware. If a satellite has changed it's status the Oregon seems to have a hard time interpreting that change.

I've seen very similar results to this. 01 and 05 are out of service right now so I don't expect to see them lock but I don't understand why 2 and 29 wouldn't be locked in this situation (assuming you had a fairly clear view to the sky). And where are 10, 13 and 24? One is behind 12 but the other two don't show up in the sky view. 4 and 30 are locked and one is behind 1 but where is the other in sky view?

Edited by g-o-cashers

I am happy with 2.97b features and operation. I still have an issue with poor sensitivity and have waited 8-10 minutes at times to get lock. I have never seen a WAAS lock in Gloucester in the UK.

I would like to see the following feature please Garmin : Double tap anywhere on the screen places a waypoint at the current position. This would be wonderful and very easy to implement...

Just went out and stuck the Oregon in my car, turned it (Oregon) on. Reception back to normal.

I would like to see the following feature please Garmin : Double tap anywhere on the screen places a waypoint at the current position. This would be wonderful and very easy to implement...

Not such a good idea IMO. Would be way too easy to accidentally start placing new waypoints. It's pretty easy as it stands, I think. Push screen to get the visual pin, tap the banner at the top, choose mark waypoint button (if memory serves me correctly).

Just went out and stuck the Oregon in my car, turned it (Oregon) on. Reception back to normal.

Not such a good idea IMO. Would be way too easy to accidentally start placing new waypoints. It's pretty easy as it stands, I think. Push screen to get the visual pin, tap the banner at the top, choose mark waypoint button (if memory serves me correctly).

That doesn't make sense...If you tap it once it sticks a visual pin in some random position anyway. I'm saying tap it twice and get one where you currently are located..without the extra work...

With 3 taps of the screen you can already create a waypoint at your present location. 1st tap... to go from map to main menu, 2nd tap... on "Man Overboard" (if you place it on your 1st menu page), 3rd tap... to save waypoint. In either case your still going to have to edit the waypoint for saving long term.

edit: You could also do the same as above with "Mark Waypoint". Still just 3 taps of the screen.

Edited by eaparks

I don't know if this is me or the 2.97 beta...last night I was tweaking several other profiles and when I went back to my geocaching profile I had no map data..It was green and shaded but showed no roads or map points. I checked to see if topo was enabled and it was...has anyone else had this problem? I also though I would start a new profile to see if it showed the roads...it didn't..All the other profiles show the roads and map detail help

... I don't expect to see them lock but I don't understand why 2 and 29 wouldn't be locked in this situation (assuming you had a fairly clear view to the sky). ...

It could definitely be what you said about the clear view.

Remember this display doesn't necessarily need to show what it can actually see. That is going to be dependent upon the GPS firmware.

The approximate elevation and azimuth information should be available from the almanac (hence you see them grey on the chart) and the fact that you don't even have white bars for those two birds means that there is no discernable signal coming through.

I suspect if you saw the group of GPGSV NMEA strings out of the unit at that point you would see 0 for the Signal to Noise Ratio value for those birds. If not then it could well be that the data is discarded (test bits set etc.?) as I think you are speculating..?

Edited by iamasmith

I am getting terrible accuracy today. The 01/05 problem appears to be back. I had the unit in the middle of my cul-de-sac with a clear sky. No trees or large buildings anywhere. The following screen was after 10 minutes.

Did you steal my GPS?? ;)

Mine was fine when I went back out a few hours ago. Yours probably will be in a while. I'm curious as to what's making this happen...beyond my speculation.

I don't know if this is me or the 2.97 beta...last night I was tweaking several other profiles and when I went back to my geocaching profile I had no map data..It was green and shaded but showed no roads or map points. I checked to see if topo was enabled and it was...has anyone else had this problem? I also though I would start a new profile to see if it showed the roads...it didn't..All the other profiles show the roads and map detail help

ok, now my map is showing up, but when I plug it into my computer the garmin does not prompt me to go to mass storage mode or not...it goes straight to mass storage

;) Just upgraded last evening and tried things today, with NO PROBLEMS, except lack of lock on WAAS like before. Love the identity feature on the start-up screen and my reception seemed to be good too (9+). I was hesitant to upgrade from the 2.95(because of all the bad bugs and feature fall-out), so I skipped the 2.96 until 2.97, and uploaded the 2.97. Thanks to Garmin for all the hard work on this fantastic unit. Thanks too, to all of you on the forum, helping us to understand and install and use these features. I still need to learn more obout the newest features and hope they will be available on the WIKI.

I haven't had a chance to mail the Beta Support address yet, but based on conversations I've had with several people and read in this forum, I have found an interesting thing about the 2.9x beta releases...

I live in NE IL (USA) between Chicago & Milwaukee, WI. If I use my GPSr with WAAS off, I get rock solid track logs and great accuracy reported by the unit (as well as consistent with my older 60CSx unit). If I enable WAAS, my track logs begin to wander and the the unit's accuracy is reported to be as good as without WAAS, but the position is actually not very comparable to that of my older 60CSx. I kept the tracklogs of my driving to/from work for an entire week and with WAAS off, the tracks all reported to within 50 feet of each other across my entire 20 mile one-way drive, and they matched the roads on my City Navigator 2009 NT maps. With WAAS enabled, my track logs would vary by as much as 200 feet from the road within 5 minutes of leaving home or work. If I watched the tracklog it would slowly drift away from the road then when I would make my next turn, it might align itself with the road, or it might translate the "offset" from the north to be an offset to the west.

An example, Using my 60CSx, I took a position reading in my driveway by letting the GPSr sit and average for 20 minutes on several days. The reported accuracy in the position as the averaging was reporting was down to +/- 3.9 feet. With WAAS off, my OR 400t generally matches the 60 CSx coords to within +/- 0.002 minutes. With WAAS enabled, the OR 400t has been reporting as far as 75 feet off the position. In fact, one evening, it even claimed I was parked across the road in someone's yard.

I need to contact the beta support team, but for now, I am using my unit with WAAS off and it is performing great!

I am getting terrible accuracy today. The 01/05 problem appears to be back. I had the unit in the middle of my cul-de-sac with a clear sky. No trees or large buildings anywhere. The following screen was after 10 minutes.

Did you steal my GPS?? ;)

Mine was fine when I went back out a few hours ago. Yours probably will be in a while. I'm curious as to what's making this happen...beyond my speculation.

You stole mine. :D

I went from having great reception to getting NO reception. Sitting in my living room window with a western exposure, this morning I had 6 meter accuracy. Now I got "Lost Satellite Reception"

Another day. Another story.

Yesterday morning I had good reception in my living room. Yesterday afternoon, I couldn't get 100 meter accuracy in the middle of the cul-de-sac.

Today, back to great reception in the living room, including WAAS for the very first time.

When I started the unit, it picked up 01 and 05 and quickly dropped them.

3c34933c-5d57-45c4-9d04-7918aac95a6d.jpg

Another day. Another story.

Yesterday morning I had good reception in my living room. Yesterday afternoon, I couldn't get 100 meter accuracy in the middle of the cul-de-sac.

Today, back to great reception in the living room, including WAAS for the very first time.

When I started the unit, it picked up 01 and 05 and quickly dropped them.

3c34933c-5d57-45c4-9d04-7918aac95a6d.jpg

Tequila,

I looked closely at your screen shot and it hit me....

Are those the missing "D's" showing up in on your unit ?

I thought the latest update made those differential symbols disappear ? Are they back ?

Thanks.