Looking for cheap, entry-level GPS

As you can see, I am a very recent newbie to Geocaching. I've already had good successes (4 finds) finding caches without a GPS thanks to careful studying of Google satellite maps, and bringing print-outs. But it's occasionally frustrating, and multi-caches are all but impossible in the field. :o

Since I'm neither affluent nor a power-geocacher (yet), I'd rather start at the bottom end of the price range. What I'm looking for is a really simple and cheap device (say, a plain eTrex or eTrex Legend), as long as it can be used for entering and finding coordinates. I'm prepared to spend about €50 / US$65 not including the price of shipping (the price range on Ebay starts around there).

Does anyone here have an old one they'd like to get rid of?

I'll pay international shipping (to Germany), and I can pay via PayPal or international money transfer.

Edited by cburschka

Thank you for the tip! I didn't even know that Garmin made a non-eTrex series so I've always searched for "garmin etrex" so far.

The Geko may be the best "bare-bones" Caching GPS out there. For around $80 you get a WAAS enabled chipset which is the most accurate type. I think it is actually the cheapest one as well.

i'm also looking again. i had a vista hcx all lined up, but apparently it got lost by fedex, (thanks for trying Dig Teamsters). i sure wish it had worked out.

anyway, i have about a $200CDN budget.

do i need to have one that accepts memory cards?

MEC has the eTrex Vista for $125

also the Garmin eTrex Legend for $125 as well

a used (1y old) Lowrance h20c for $250 (asking price) reviews on this one are a little sketchy.

I think i would like to stick with GARMIN.

is there anything else i should look at or make sure it has?

Edited by brucered

i'm also looking again. i had a vista hcx all lined up, but apparently it got lost by fedex, (thanks for trying Dig Teamsters). i sure wish it had worked out.

anyway, i have about a $200CDN budget.

MEC has the eTrex Vista for $125

also the Garmin eTrex Legend for $125 as well

a used (1y old) Lowrance h20c for $250 (asking price) reviews on this one are a little sketchy.

I think i would like to stick with GARMIN.

is there anything else i should look at or make sure it has?

I currently own a Garmin Venture HC and I love it! Here is the link to Garmin's website for the Venture HC: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8707 There is a vendor on eBay that is selling a factory refurbished Garmin Venture HC, with a 1 year warranty from Garmin, for just $79.99 (shipping included in the price). If you would rather have a NEW gps unit, there are others on eBay that are selling the Venture HC for as low as $140.00 (shipping included in the price).

Good luck with your search! :sad:

Edited by rocketsteve
...snip...There is a vendor on eBay that is selling a factory refurbished Garmin Venture HC, with a 1 year warranty from Garmin, for just $79.99 (shipping included in the price). ...snip

can you PM a link or the seller. i don't see anyone with anything listed for that price.

thanks in advance.

It depends on what you plan to use your GPS for. If you just need a basic GPSr to Geocache with and don't plan to upload maps to it then no you don't need one that accepts extra memory.

As mentioned above the Venture HC is a great entry level geocaching unit. I paid about $120 for mine, new and it does everything I need it to do for geocaching. Plus it's a Garmin so it works well with the website.