Does any government or authorities get involved in geocaching?

Asheville NC promotes caching on it's tourism website. They even ran a geocaching promotion last year that was too commercial to be listed here. You had to stay at a participating property to get the coords to the caches, but they were full of quality swag and gift certificates from Chamber of Commerce members.

Florida's Gulf Coast website mentions kayak caching. IIRC they ran some sort of promotion a few years back too.

I worked with our local CVB to help with the planning for geowoodstock5 a few years back. They were thrilled that we were bringing a few thousand visitors here. Geotourism is here to stay, and I'll bet there are lots of other CVB's that are aware of our sport.

In Canada, caches were kicked out of the national parks for a few years via a national directive, though enforcement was spotty at the local level.

Now caches are welcome again in the national parks (sort of, it's a bit bureaucratic) and at least one park is actively promoting it.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisland/visit/visit4_e.asp

I'm not sure I'm ready to kiss and make up, though...

I did several Geocoin Contests/Challenges last year:

July 1-2, 2008 - 2008 Oregon's Mt. Hood Territory Geocaching Contest

July 14, 2008 - The Canby (Oregon) Chamber of Commerce Geocoin Challenge

August 21, 2008 - The Dalles-Dash Geocoin Contest

August 26, 2008 - 2007 Oregon's Mt. Hood Territory Geocaching Challenge

September 16-18, 2008 - Pendleton Oregon What a Kick! Geo Coin Hunt

September 27-28, 2008 - Lincoln City Oregon Geo Coin Hunt

This year Canby and Mollala in Oregon are promoting Geo Coin Hunts.

The rangers for a national wildlife refuge near here recently published a multi-cache that takes you on a tour of the refuge lands. The cache itself is at the refuge visitor center, since physical caches are still not allowed in the refuge proper. IIRC, they modeled their cache after one that was published by the rangers for another refuge elsewhere in the state.

I remember the Utah State Park folks promoting geocaching not too long ago.

You are Rite, Utah promotes geocaching and sponsors events in state parks it also has a cache at the division of natural resources building in down town salt lake.

Utah State Parks also has a geocaching account and they place their own caches.

Virginia's tourism bureau promotes geocaching on their website

Arkansas state parks promots geocaching on their website

When I read "government authorities" I think of FBI, police, etc :sad: So here's my experience... there was a cache right outside Northrup Grommen (or whatever it's called)...

Our log from April 2004: The log was VERY interesting as well... it had been signed by a special investigations agent from the Air Force. The agent even left their card with their name cut out. It felt a little bit cool to think we were being watched.

Somebody else's from a couple days later: As Shadowraven said, the security people have been watching the previous GeoCachers come and go from this location and were very suspicious. They then found the cache and made an entry that said something like: “You people look very suspicious from our cameras at the government facility to your South. ” BTW, The camer that is watching you is located on the NorthWest corner of the large hanger directly SOUTH of this cache. You can just see it on the hanger corner.

The Cache

The City of Tallahassee, FL Parks & Rec Dept. hid 41 geocaches, one in each city park.

Each cache has a alpha-numeric code, and if you email all 41 codes to the Parks Coordinator, you are rewarded with a City of Tallahassee Parks & Rec geocoin.

Some of the caches were really clever, and a few routinely wind up on the area's various 'top 10 lists' or 'best of lists'.

It is no wonder that the city parks have been voted "Best in America" recently. :sad:

Escambia County Environmental Geocache Tour (GC1NCDF) was put together by Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Escambia County and City of Pensacola recently. Completing the 14-stage cache will provide you with an environmental education and snag you a beautiful, non-trackable coin in celebration of the city's 450th anniversary.

I remember the Utah State Park folks promoting geocaching not too long ago.

You are Rite, Utah promotes geocaching and sponsors events in state parks it also has a cache at the division of natural resources building in down town salt lake.

Utah State Parks also has a geocaching account and they place their own caches.

In addition to placing caches in Utah State Parks, in some cases they also will loan out GPR's to help you find them. They also distributed a bunch of their unactivated geocoins as part of a promotional event by hiding them in their caches throughout the year.

An additional note, while they HAVE had several problems with geocaches in State Parks, they have chosen to address the problems on a case by case basis, rather than a blanket policy. We are saddened that other states cannot follow such an approach.

Hi. I just wondered if in any way either any governments or local authorities or councils get involved in Geocaching in any form as a way of promoting their area or country? Surely it would be beneficial for them in the way of tourism.

A few years ago I was working with the Idaho Department of Commerce on promoting the state via caches. They were receptive to the idea but they also had several other projects with much higher priority. It all fell by the wayside when I moved.