Which SDHC card for 60CSx

Hey JS!

In my unit I have a regular 8GB Sandisk Micro SDHC (class 2).

I've read that the Ultra (Class 4) actually fries the unit, so I wouldn't venture there, even less with the Extreme (Class 6). But if you experiment with it and it works, please report!

My feeling anyhow is that the card speed is pretty much irrelevant, except for file transfer, which is tolerable even on my 8gb card, when I plug it straight into the laptop.

For operation, my feeling is that the biggest speed bottleneck is not the card but the bloody chip. How come when you zoom in and out it takes so long to display the map properly? My experience with Garmin is that they are the stingiest company on the planet and will give you the bare minimum component to make a unit work. I remember years ago when I upgraded from the yellow Etrex to the Etrex Legend, and the unit had something like 8MB of storage in it, when you could buy a 256MB USB key for peanuts! Scrooges. Same with the tile limit; or not letting you switch IMG files on the 60CSX without plugging in. But you know the rant.

For higher speed cards it's Russian roulette, I wouldn't want to be the one calling Garmin on the warranty because the unit has fried after inserting a card they warned you against :unsure:

Smiles,

Andy

Edited by tooplayful

In my unit I have a regular 8GB Sandisk Micro SDHC (class 2).

I've read that the Ultra (Class 4) actually fries the unit, so I wouldn't venture there, even less with the Extreme (Class 6). But if you experiment with it and it works, please report!

My feeling anyhow is that the card speed is pretty much irrelevant, except for file transfer, which is tolerable even on my 8gb card, when I plug it straight into the laptop.

For operation, my feeling is that the biggest speed bottleneck is not the card but the bloody chip. How come when you zoom in and out it takes so long to display the map properly? My experience with Garmin is that they are the stingiest company on the planet and will give you the bare minimum component to make a unit work. I remember years ago when I upgraded from the yellow Etrex to the Etrex Legend, and the unit had something like 8MB of storage in it, when you could buy a 256MB USB key for peanuts! Scrooges. Same with the tile limit; or not letting you switch IMG files on the 60CSX without plugging in. But you know the rant.

For higher speed cards it's Russian roulette, I wouldn't want to be the one calling Garmin on the warranty because the unit has fried after inserting a card they warned you against

Thanks, Andy. I've found a couple of Class 2 cards on Amazon - NewEgg doesn't have anything that ancient... :unsure:

As for your speed issue - I think that's more a function of the maps you use. If you're using City Navigator NT, the compression makes calculations take longer, at least subjectively. I've never put a stopwatch to it, but when I was using Metro Guide (modded for routing with metrowizzz), it seemed like recalculation and zooming was a lot quicker than with City Nav NT.

I've read that the Ultra (Class 4) actually fries the unit
Hi Andy,

All the reports I’ve ever seen on this have said that it’s the card that gets fried, not the GPS. I’ve seen many reports of toasted cards; none that said it fried the unit.

Here is one example: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSmap_76C/message/5284 and here’s another: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSMa...CSx/message/594 .

>All the reports I’ve ever seen on this have said that it’s the card that gets fried, not the GPS. I’ve seen many reports of toasted cards; none that said it fried the unit.

Hey Roy,

Thanks heaps, I wasn't aware of that!

So maybe it's worth playing Russian roulette with the Extreme after all?

Hey JS, thanks for your thoughts about the map. But I prefer to blame the chip! :rolleyes:

Smiles,

Andy

Edited by tooplayful