Deleting logs ?

We are new to geocaching and set out this past weekend to do some caching. We found several and upon our return, we logged them under the appropriate listings.

On Monday I got an email stating that one of my postings had been deleted. Is this a normal occurrence? Do Cache owners normally just delete the posting when someone logs a find? I posted the following.

Nice find while out for a Sunday stroll. TFTC

That is all I posted at the GC19NCV cache.

I am not to concern with find counts, I just found it odd and when I asked via email if there was a problem, I didn’t get a response……..

We are new to geocaching and set out this past weekend to do some caching. We found several and upon our return, we logged them under the appropriate listings.

On Monday I got an email stating that one of my postings had been deleted. Is this a normal occurrence? Do Cache owners normally just delete the posting when someone logs a find? I posted the following.

Nice find while out for a Sunday stroll. TFTC

That is all I posted at the GC19NCV cache.

I am not to concern with find counts, I just found it odd and when I asked via email if there was a problem, I didn’t get a response……..

Well, the Cache owner himself calls it a "PNG". And it's got plenty of prototypical 5 word or less PNG logs, including one two word "found it" log.

Maybe he didn't like that you cut and pasted that same exact log on every cache you found that day. However, he's not allowed to not like it anymore. :o

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Considering that the cache listing had no ALRs and the previous logs had 3-4 word logs, the CO may have deleted your log by mistake(?)

Send a polite e-mail to CO asking why they deleted it.

If no reply, re-log.

If its deleted again, then contact Groundspeak.

Edited by buttaskotch

Considering that the cache listing had no ALRs and the previous logs had 3-4 work logs, the CO may have deleted your log by mistake(?)

Send a polite e-mail to CO asking why they deleted it.

If no reply, re-log.

If its deleted again, then contact Groundspeak.

Sounds like the logic approach to start with.

As long as you signed the log books, I don't really care if there is something missing from the story. If you signed the log book, any non-snarky, non-spoiler, non-sweary log should stand.

I agree with Sbell111, which is a rather rare. :unsure: Despite your low find count and being around since 2004, you sure nothing is going on here between you and the cache owner? I still go with the theory you cut and pasted the same log to every cache you found that day.

I still go with the theory you cut and pasted the same log to every cache you found that day.

What does this have to do with logging a cache? I can honestly say that I have done that in the past; usually when I have found too many caches in one day to remember the specific nuances of each cache.

However, there is no ALR for the cache suggesting that unique logs must be posted.

Heck, reading a few of the past logs show equally unimaginative posts:

Nice hunt. Thanks

tyftc

Cool container! String was fine. Thanx!

Found it.

However, I see OP re-logged find, lets see what happens next.

If its deleted again, then perhaps there is a long standing Mafia vendetta between OP and CO :unsure:

I still go with the theory you cut and pasted the same log to every cache you found that day.

What does this have to do with logging a cache? I can honestly say that I have done that in the past; usually when I have found too many caches in one day to remember the specific nuances of each cache.

However, there is no ALR for the cache suggesting that unique logs must be posted.

Heck, reading a few of the past logs show equally unimaginative posts:

Nice hunt. Thanks

tyftc

Cool container! String was fine. Thanx!

Found it.

You don't hang around these forums too much, do you? That's a good thing though. Let's just say cut and paste logs are rather frowned upon by many here. As is the so-called "lost art of logging" :unsure:

Still not saying that's the case here, just my theory.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Let's just say cut and paste logs are rather frowned upon by many here. As is the so-called "lost art of logging"

They might be frowned upon, but you still shouldn't delete a legitimate find just because you don't like the fact that someone just copies the same log to every find they had that day. I don't care for cut and paste logs, either...but to delete for that reason seems persnickety and overzealous to me.

Bruce

Let's just say cut and paste logs are rather frowned upon by many here. As is the so-called "lost art of logging"

They might be frowned upon, but you still shouldn't delete a legitimate find just because you don't like the fact that someone just copies the same log to every find they had that day. I don't care for cut and paste logs, either...but to delete for that reason seems persnickety and overzealous to me.

Bruce

I have definitely heard of and seen some cache descriptions where owners threaten to delete cut-and-paste logs. Of course they'd never get away with that any more circa April, 2009. :unsure: But I'll say again, we have no idea that this is the case here.

I agree with TWU that that may be the case. If it was, the cache owner was out of line and the log should be reinstated.

Regarding copy-and-paste logs, I think that we all agree that unique logs that say something about each cache is the best way to go. Sometimes, that doesn't happen, however, at least for me. Often, I'll go out and find several caches. I'll include short notes for many of them in my pda database. Then, I'll end up not logging the things on line for weeks, or longer. I'll then get a little peaved that it's taken me so long to log them that I'll make myself bang out the logs.

Very typically, this means that I'll log semi-'copy-and-paste' logs. They'll often be three short, concise paragraphs/sentences. The first a quick recollection of the general caching day. (Weather, where I was headed to or coming from, 'greetings from Germany') The second will be a blurb about the cache, itself, based on my notes. (Log was wet, hamsters needed food, this is what I traded) The third is some kind of quick 'thank you' to the cache owner. The first and last paragraph are copy-and-paste. If I don't remember anything about the cache and there wasn't anything in my notes OR I am in a super honking hurry, there might not be a middle paragraph.

Edited by sbell111

As long as you signed the log books, I don't really care if there is something missing from the story. If you signed the log book, any non-snarky, non-spoiler, non-sweary log should stand.

I agree with Sbell111, which is a rather rare. :unsure: Despite your low find count and being around since 2004, you sure nothing is going on here between you and the cache owner? I still go with the theory you cut and pasted the same log to every cache you found that day.

I signed up in 2004 when I got my first GPS. School and work have kept me away from geocaching until recently. I don’t know this cache owner. While traveling through the area I was using the app on my I phone and it listed a cache. I stopped to find it and later posted my find.

I understand that there are preferences about pasting the same log over and over again. The ones I found that did make me think or inspired me in one way or another did get a more personal response.

It’s my belief that any response should be welcome. If nothing else it allows the owner to know their cache is still there and people are still enjoying the find.

Thanks for all the opinions and advise. I have reposted and will go from there........

I dislike deleting logs and having logs deleted. I normally won't do it. I did delete one last night where a cacher who doesn't like me called me stupid in the log :rolleyes:

I've deleted logs where cachers attack other cachers, and I delete logs where people log finds on Delorme and County challenges because they don't understand the ALR.... other then that I say let people do what they want and hope they do the same for me...

just me two cents.

I agree with Sbell111, which is a rather rare. :rolleyes: Despite your low find count and being around since 2004, you sure nothing is going on here between you and the cache owner? I still go with the theory you cut and pasted the same log to every cache you found that day.

I signed up in 2004 when I got my first GPS. School and work have kept me away from geocaching until recently. I don’t know this cache owner. While traveling through the area I was using the app on my I phone and it listed a cache. I stopped to find it and later posted my find.

I understand that there are preferences about pasting the same log over and over again. The ones I found that did make me think or inspired me in one way or another did get a more personal response.

It’s my belief that any response should be welcome. If nothing else it allows the owner to know their cache is still there and people are still enjoying the find.

Thanks for all the opinions and advise. I have reposted and will go from there........

I can tell you from personal recent experience that a TFTC log on a clever and difficult micro in a custom container is not welcomed by the owner. In my experience a TFTC log comes from a new cacher who thinks it is cute or it comes from someone who thought the cache really wasn't very good. Take a few moments and write something, even if it is only "thanks for the cache". As silly as it may seem that is much less annoying than TFTC.

I rarely delete logs, but when I do it is usually for clearly bogus finds and explain to the cacher why I did it. I did delete a DNF log once, because in the log it stated the cacher had found it. I guess they chose the wrong log type. I emailed the cacher and asked them to resubmit the log.