Website Down? parts of April 28 and 29, 2009

StaticTank

Perhaps you missed the announcement post from Elias, explaining this evening's server maintenance.

It's a good idea to subscribe to that forum so that you are notified by e-mail when there is a new post. That is how planned outages are announced.

Here's hoping that the work goes smoothly! The forum server changeover sure did. (I was sorta hoping that they'd drop that box, and that repairs would take a few days. Woo hoo! Moderator vacation!)

Perhaps you missed the announcement post from Elias, explaining this evening's server maintenance.

It's a good idea to subscribe to that forum so that you are notified by e-mail when there is a new post. That is how planned outages are announced.

Here's hoping that the work goes smoothly! The forum server changeover sure did. (I was sorta hoping that they'd drop that box, and that repairs would take a few days. Woo hoo! Moderator vacation!)

Now I feel dumb. I almost always check that first. Looks like my brain was having some down time as well.

StaticTank

An announcement less that 10 hours seems kind of abrupt. Don't you think an announcement a few days befor the planned downtime would be more appropriate? What about all the premium members who don't frequent the forums much - how are they to know?

What about all the premium members who don't frequent the forums much - how are they to know?

They don't need to frequent the forums. They can simply subscribe to that forum and check out those informative topics when the receive the email notices.

Geocaching.com is down! Oh, my God! My life no longer has meaning!

Yahoo or Google down for a while? No problem. U.S. Missile Defense System? We could get by without that for a while.

But not geocaching.com!! Oh, the humanity!!!

To bad the federal government wouldn't go down for a few weeks...we'd all be richer :D

Then I could buy geocaching supplies(gas,swag,etc) and go :o

I missed the downtime. Either I was sleeping or at work. Maybe next time.

What about all the premium members who don't frequent the forums much - how are they to know?

They don't need to frequent the forums. They can simply subscribe to that forum and check out those informative topics when the receive the email notices.

Thanks for the tip - did just that, subscribed to that forum for email notification.

I added a date to the title of this post for better context.

What he said.

Here is the Forum: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=4

To subscribe:

e947d757-5d68-4902-9221-5d0685517ea0.jpg

An announcement less that 10 hours seems kind of abrupt. Don't you think an announcement a few days befor the planned downtime would be more appropriate?

We don't know how much notice Groundspeak got from their hosting company ("moving things around" in their data centre was apparently the cause of the outage). It could well be that things had to be done at short notice.

Is the geocaching website down right now? Can't seem to get it to come up with new caches on the map. Tried 2 differnent computers and log-ins, no luck. Just keeps searching for caches and doesn't stop or return caches (and I don't have any filters on :o )

Edited by CountryCol79
It's a good idea to subscribe to that forum so that you are notified by e-mail when there is a new post.
What he said.
I've been subscribed to that forum for years and I've never once gotten an email about it. Has anybody?

(Yes, it's my current email address and I check the spam filter traps regularly.)

Edited by klossner
It's a good idea to subscribe to that forum so that you are notified by e-mail when there is a new post.
What he said.
I've been subscribed to that forum for years and I've never once gotten an email about it. Has anybody?

(Yes, it's my current email address and I check the spam filter traps regularly.)

I got one yesterday announcing the second move.

What he said.

I got one yesterday announcing the second move.

Klossner - what box do you have checked in your subscription? Hopefully it isn't the "don't send emails" one. :rolleyes:

Edited by WRASTRO

Even though you didn't understand my question you answered it with your screen shot. You have selected immediate email notification. There are other options which you will see if you click on the dropdown next to "Unsubscribe". Those options are what I was trying to ask about.