What does your geocaching title mean?

lil'hobo

Even though I was "Holty" all through school, and both of my boys were "Holtie", the real reason for this handle is to honor the memory of my second son, Ian, who died on the first day of 2004. Both boys were born on the 22nd of the month, (different months), and Ian's jersey number playing lacrosse (he was a High School All-American), was 22. The Colby College lacrosse coach had also given Ian number 22, but he never got to play a game for them. Never-the-less, his name and number appeared on the roster (and on the other players jerseys) for the entire four years that he would have been there.

I created a TB (Surveyor's Mark), to Ian's memory as well, and am hoping that it will complete its journey before too long. We sure do miss him!

Uncle Fester was taken, so I've been using Unkle Fester for years in forums, sign ins and online games.

I'm big, Bald and kind of morbid. I used to have one of those lightbulbs that light up in your mouth. Started shaving my head out of necessity about 18 years ago long before it was cool an fashionable.

Back in '97 I found a smiley pin on the floor at a local Wal Mart. I kept it, never knew what it would lead to. At that time I was going by Madhatter, my old CB Handle. Well, I eventually scanned that old pin, because, well....I had nothing else to scan with my new scanner. I did have a great flag graphic I got online. i combined the two and since '04 have been using it as my signiture on everything. It's on my cell phone, my laptop, my myspace, my right bicep.....no, serious, I recently had it tatooed. It really has become part of me. So When my son-in-law did the ink for me, we updated my online presence to a comic book superhero type. Captain Smiley. There's actually a drawing of the captain. Maybe I'll post it someday. I plan to actually use that old Wal Mart Smiley pin in a cache that I'm working on. I'm hoping to encase it in lucite and make it a trackable signature item.

I was Knighted 9 years ago in 2000.

Not really. My son was 8 when we started caching. He likes Knight Rider from the 80's TV fame. He loves the car KITT (Knight Industries Two-Thousand) from the show. Other Knight Rider names weren't available so he combined the two- Knight2000

I wonder what others think when they hear then handle.

Dang - I thought it was because you were a pinball fanatic and loved the Black Knight series of pinball machines from Williams / Bally, more importantly Black Night 2000. . . would have been my reason anyway ;)

Actually came up with mine before I even heard of geocaching, using it for a log-on name for a couple of websites. Came about because I like the Grateful Dead, I like bears, and bears are one of the Dead symbols. Funny thing is I've never had a nickname that others came up with, but was always rather good at coming up with them for others.

Like many others here, mine is a variant of my HAM callsign. Since my other half and I cache mostly as a pair, I do most of the work (equal in someones eyes) we changed it slightly to represent both of us.

Full callsign is VE7RXC. I know there are many other hams out there too. Just look at the listing in Hams and Geocaching section... we're everywhere.

Doug

Mine is one thats not hard to figure out. We was married on Halloween 1985, and started decorating that year and every since has added each year . We are now decorating ours plus 3 other houses. I was dubbed king-of-halloween by a very young trick-or-treater back in 1998, while looking at our yard and it stuck with me.

I also am part of a great bunch of cachers known as Cache-Slash- Crew. We have been hosting a halloween event for the last 4 years and this year is no exception. We came up with the event name first Cache-Slash-Fest. Then we needed a name for all of us and since we was the crew putting it on that name was born. For the event we have 8 houses decorated all in a row, that 2 other cachers that live in the neighborhood along with myself help decorate so it gets alot of attention. We have been deemed "DEMON ALLEY", like that really bothers me!!!!

I had just bought a PT Cruizer and I thought I would be doing this on travel trip, so I wanted Texas in my name to show on the log where I was from. So I came up with PT_Tex.But afer 5 years I am thinking,what do I do if I don't buy another PT Cruizer. I wish I would have used DT Tex which are my initials.

I love all that is enchanted,mystical and just plain fun. Like the sense that all is happy and good, sprinkled with pixie dust, One of the main reasons is that i am an artist and i really enjoy Signature items, i collect them, so i wanted to have a really cool sig that i could get really creative with, and thats my story, my BF is a PC tech and we work on Mac's (Apple) so his caching name is yup MAC check us out at www.Tynkerbelle.com

I love all that is enchanted,mystical and just plain fun. Like the sense that all is happy and good, sprinkled with pixie dust, One of the main reasons is that i am an artist and i really enjoy Signature items, i collect them, so i wanted to have a really cool sig that i could get really creative with, and thats my story, my BF is a PC tech and we work on Mac's (Apple) so his caching name is yup MAC check us out at www.Tynkerbelle.com

I work with a woman that actually *was* Tinker Bell at DisneyWorld as a former occupation.

my name kind of speaks for itself! Though not from NYC, I was in a show off-broadway and danced at Ripley Greir Studios in Manhattan.... I'm a dance teacher here in Dallas and some of the parents of my students weren't good with names so they just called me"Hey! NYC Dancer Boy....what time is the next class???"

:sad::D:):):D

Oh well..... the name stuck and I like it now!

:D:D:DB):o

Edited by nycdancerboi

when i signed on the first time i was just wanting to see if there were any caches in my area so i used my name, apetro (angie petro). i had never belonged to a forum before and didn't know that my username would be important. i even signed my first logs "jim and angie". then when we came home to log online i realized my mistake. altho my husband caches with me we just use the one account cause he can't even turn the puter on and doesn't care to know anything about it. i wish i had been more creative and had something that was inline with our personalities, but it's nothing big to worry about! :lol:

when i signed on the first time i was just wanting to see if there were any caches in my area so i used my name, apetro (angie petro). i had never belonged to a forum before and didn't know that my username would be important. i even signed my first logs "jim and angie". then when we came home to log online i realized my mistake. altho my husband caches with me we just use the one account cause he can't even turn the puter on and doesn't care to know anything about it. i wish i had been more creative and had something that was inline with our personalities, but it's nothing big to worry about! :lol:

I actually know an "Andrew Petro" and he uses apetro on at least one of his online accounts.

Manicgecko - comes from a pet I have locked in a terrarium across from the computer. Days and days of doing nothing, then all of a sudden, the silly thing gets hyped up on Sobe and decides it is invincible... oh yeah also have been somewhat of a dracophile

Reading these post is truly hilarious...

I am horrible at coming up with original names, when we started geocaching, my daughter who was 9 months old really got a kick out of the Mahna Mahna character from the muppets. She would watch the video and crack up and sing to it. I thought the muppet was great, with his crazy hair...so we stole his name.

Nothing too interesting but we like it.

Mahna Mahna

I love all that is enchanted,mystical and just plain fun.

My wife and I are Tink fanatics. She bought me a T-shirt that says,

"Every time you hide a film canister, a fairy dies" :D:lol::D:)

I love that saying!! i could use that twofold, being a photographer of "Digital" LOL! Gotta love Tynk

When I first started caching I used Marine Mom because two of my kids joined the marines and my other two were planning on joining. Well then my son said he had no intention of reenlisting and my younger two boys decided on the army instead but it was when my daughter was medically retired from the marines that I decided to change my name.

I have very little imagination so I looked to my other obsession …. The Chicago Cubs. Cubs Fan is self explanatory and the 23 is for my all time favorite player Ryne Sandberg.

I needed something on eBay and just like Bob Segar I'm not a number. My old internet names were taken up 200 times over so I needed something new. I tried every variation of Knight I could think up. Finally I slapped in Renegade and it took. I thought "Crap!" but it was too late.

When I needed something else on the internet I'd use it. I was the only one. Geocaching came along and it was free. I still didn't like it, and thought about using another nick I use for games. My friends said it fit and to stick with it.

A few more RK's have popped up in various forms since. One of them is a Llama. Somehow a Llama named RK fits with this forum.

Goobie because that's our catch-all name for a whatsit, thingmajig, and we're always using it in conversation - "Uh, could you pass the uh, thing by your elbow, the goobie-shaker, yea that's it".

Team because we are, a team (2 humans one canine).

Our forum title is a Latin class joke - "always wear under wear" :D

I'm sure our geocaching name is recognized by most cachers by now since we are named after the famous CONTROL agents Max and 99 from the tv show/movies Get Smart. Max (agent 86) and 99 (agent 99) worked for CONTROL to stop their arch nemesis KAOS. Many of our caches are named after Get Smart catchphrases. :D

I'm sure our geocaching name is recognized by most cachers by now since we are named after the famous CONTROL agents Max and 99 from the tv show/movies Get Smart. Max (agent 86) and 99 (agent 99) worked for CONTROL to stop their arch nemesis KAOS. Many of our caches are named after Get Smart catchphrases. :D

I really liked that old show. I mean, who wouldn't want one of those silence chambers they talked in. Or, a shoe phone.

We live in Carmel Valley and have two dogs currently. The moniker dates back to a time before our daughter was born when we had three dogs and two cats. We alternated between valleydogs and 'the zoo'. Although we are now down to only two elderly dogs (age 12 and 18) I'm sure we will be adopting more rescue dogs in the future.

I'm the cache-crazy one in the family, but we also try and do hikes as a group. My wife doesn't like the tech side of it all but loves getting outdoors and my daughter loves anything that involves finding treasure. She is the one that actually picks out all of the swag that we put in the backpack to take for trades.

Edited by valleydogs